Subject: Sanitized variant for 3yr olds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this great bluffing game to play with my siblings. My 3yr old daughter loved the art but I was hesitant to teach her the art of bluffing at such a tender age. She was however very persistent in asking to play it. Instead of the usual memory game, I came up with this variant which she enjoyed immensely.

1. Shuffle all cards into 1 deck and place it face down between the players.

2. The first player guesses the top card and reveals it. If correct, the player places the card face up in front of him. If wrong, put the card into the discard pile.

3. The next player on the left takes his turn, repeating step 2.

4. Once all cards have been revealed, the player with the lowest number of cards is the loser (or the player with most cards is the winner).

The back of the card helps young players to guess as it shows all 8 creatures possible.

In 2 games, I drew the first game with her 4-4 and lost the second game to her 2-5. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
chromaticdragon wrote:
I bought this great bluffing game to play with my siblings. My 3yr old daughter loved the art but I was hesitant to teach her the art of bluffing at such a tender age. She was however very persistent in asking to play it. Instead of the usual memory game, I came up with this variant which she enjoyed immensely.

1. Shuffle all cards into 1 deck and place it face down between the players.

2. The first player guesses the top card and reveals it. If correct, the player places the card face up in front of him. If wrong, put the card into the discard pile.

3. The next player on the left takes his turn, repeating step 2.

4. Once all cards have been revealed, the player with the lowest number of cards is the loser (or the player with most cards is the winner).

The back of the card helps young players to guess as it shows all 8 creatures possible.

In 2 games, I drew the first game with her 4-4 and lost the second game to her 2-5. cry

hi Wong

yeah agreed, i also have the dilemma of teaching young kids the skill of bluffing too early in their age

its good to teach them deduction and probability through bluffing games, and also to teach how to read expressions or to maybe hold a poker face, but the bluffing aspect is dangerous to mess around with when they are young

so i tend to just not play the games that involve it. but good job on the variant though it doesnt really have anything to do with the actual game itself.

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon, thanks!

I've since played quite a few games using this variant. I'm amazed that even with my advantage in knowing the probability via rough card-counting, I've only won twice in about 10 games! She's almost psychic in her guesses, winning 4 games with a high number of correct guesses (7-9 correct) including twice with 1 of each of the 8 pests.

I noticed she sometimes adopts a certain pattern in guessing - for a few turns she would follow my guess or if she is missing a particular pest, she would continually make the same guess until the correct card is revealed. Fascinating...

My next step to help her understand probabilities is to sort the discard pile so that she can see clearly how many of each pest has already been revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.