Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Five below in the U.S. has boosters of IE and Jedi Academy for $4 each. I picked up some in anticipation that others in California wanted them. However, it looks like I'm stuck with them. They sit unopened.

If I want to play, which starter set should I get to mesh with Imperial Entaglements and Jedi Academy? Are there other boosters to complement these two in the same Era?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starters, as I recall...

Rebel Storm - good maps, Reb & Imperial based, comes with Luke Jedi Knight & Darth Vader Dark Jedi.

Clone Strike - Comes with Jango Fett & Obi-Wan (I think). Clone Wars based. Usually the hardest to find starter.

Revenge of the Sith - Comes with Obi-Wan & General Grievous Supreme Commander, a great hard board map.

Imperial Entanglements - probably the one you want, comes with Darth Vader.

Clone Wars - so, so maps, comes with Obi-Wan (the tough one) & Count Dooku, has the latest edition of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Bossko. I couldn't really find out how the starters matched up or even which starters were available from this site or bloomilk.com. It seems that there is a ready supply of cheap clone wars starters and the others are going for a premium. Plus, some of the starters are in small packages while others are in larger packages. I was confused about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Starters, as I recall...

I'm confused. I didn't see an IE starter anywhere.

I see Starter 2004, Starter 2007, and Clone Wars Starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtabler wrote:
Ugavine wrote:
Starters, as I recall...

There is no IE Starter. I'm pretty sure he was referring to Starter 2007. (IE was from early 2009 iirc.) I think the 2004 one is officially called the Rebel Storm starter, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
jtabler wrote:
Ugavine wrote:
Starters, as I recall...

There is no IE Starter. I'm pretty sure he was referring to Starter 2007. (IE was from early 2009 iirc.) I think the 2004 one is officially called the Rebel Storm starter, though.

So, there are two things called a starter standing outside of a set but there were other starters? There are the clone wars starter and the 2007 starter. Rebel Storm, Clone Strike, and Revenge of the Sith were fixed starters in a set with a map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you're asking. There are multiple starter sets. They all have some fixed figures and they all have at least one map. I think the early ones (Rebel Storm 2004 and Clone Strike) might have had some additional random figures, but I'm not sure - I got into the game late.

The cheapest options for starter sets are:

Revenge of the Sith
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

"Starter Set" 2007

Clone Wars

The nice part about the first one is that you get a storage box along with it. You only get one map in RotS, though. But it is hard-backed instead of paper.

If you get the Clone War starter, you'll get the latest rules. (www.bloomilk.com for glossary and rules clarifications)

There are also other ways to get maps. Early in the SWM run, there were three "Ultimate Missions" books that had maps and scenarios. Later, there were 3 "map packs" that had an exclusive figure and a map. The map packs were on deep clearance a while back. Like $2 or $3. They're still not too expensive:

And miniaturemarket.com has a bunch of third-party maps that are in many cases better than the Wizards of the Coast maps:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/gaming_maps1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the excellent clarification. See, I was using the set menu item under the glossary on bloomilk.com. There it has two starter sets listed independently of any set -- starter 2007 and the clone wars starter. That is the only mention of starter that I could find. However, I saw various starters for sale within the sets, so I was mighty confused. I think this clears it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
jtabler wrote:
Ugavine wrote:
Starters, as I recall...

Yes, apologies for the confusion, I was doing that list from memory. It was the 2007 Starter I was referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - I forgot one more type of pack that includes maps. The "scenario packs" that are basically also starter packs. I think there are only two three:

Attack on Endor

Wizards of the Coast made over 25 maps. Only 6 of them were approved for the most competitive tournaments. Those 6 maps were chosen for balance: neither side of the map has a huge advantage, and neither shooters nor melee attackers have too strong of an advantage. Three of those six maps are found in the Attack on Endor scenario pack, so for maps this is one of the best options. You also get an AT-ST. At one point, it was on clearance in the stores for about$5 or $7. You can still find it online for under $10.

Clone Wars Battles

Not to be confused with the "Clone Wars Starter" or the "Clone Wars" expansion boosters, which were released around the same time. This large pack has about a dozen figures, two of which are huge. This is the only place to get the IG Lancer Droid, a very popular piece. This pack tends to be pretty expensive.

(Apparently, their marketing of maps and scenarios didn't work so well because they constantly changed the name and packaging of them. First it was a whole book of scenarios in the "Ultimate Missions". Then it was a smaller book with a lot more figures in the "Scenario Packs". Finally, it was simplistic packaging in the "Map Packs".)

Edit: Oh yeah, and the Battle of Hoth scenario pack as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.