Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Christiansen
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
My library has only "The stand : the complete and uncut edition"

I've heard some people say the original version of this book was better. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also interested in the answer. The original is one of my all-time favourite books. I have read that the new version is a little gorier, and a bit longer. Sounds to me like a cash-in. But would like to hear from someone who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been several years since I read them, but I don't remember a huge difference. In the uncut there's one or two more minor characters (one I didn't like, although he has one good scene) and some additional background on others.

If I had to pick, I'd say the uncut is a little better, because I think my favorite chapter was either cut or reduced in the original. YMMV.

(I also like to get all the info so knowing the "extra" information was out there would compel me to get the uncut version.) (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
The long version was bloated. I like the epilogue, but nothing else really added to the story. You can also avoid one of the more unpleasant scenes he's ever written by reading the original instead. That scene is the first thing I think of when I compare the two versions. Blech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the uncut version - it just feels fuller and the characters are that much more developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The re-released version with the cut bits put back in. It's absolutely worth reading in that form. I first read the book before that edition was released, but since then it's the only one I'll look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Timely topic. This book is on my 2011 reading list (category: Favorites from my Youth), and I was going to start reading it next month. I'll go with whichever version is the consensus of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the uncut version is a bit winded. With that said, some the included stuff is awesome and reads a bit fuller.

I would read the original (well, I have) again.

You can get the uncut version here:

http://www.librosgratisweb.com/pdf/king-stephen/the-stand.pd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only read the long version. It was pretty good. It felt like he had a lot of characters that he wanted to mess around with. The problems in the book weren't really the length for me. Because it is really like a couple of books. One an apocalyptic, and one post apocalyptic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
The uncut version really exists only to prove a point: Stephen King needs an editor just like everybody else.

It's absurdly bloated, and all it adds are details. It's a curiosity. The core and the heart of the story are fully contained in the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried (and failed) to find the original version first before finally relenting and reading the uncut version. I wish I would have tried harder frankly. There was a ludicrous amount of crap that could have been cut out of there and I was wishing the whole time that I had read the original.

mistermarino wrote:
The uncut version really exists only to prove a point: Stephen King needs an editor just like everybody else.

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.