Subject: Lethal Counterattack timing question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through our first full joust match last night, with me as Targaryen vs. Stark.

I was very pleased with myself as I used Drogon and Jhogo to commit to a military challenge, using the stealth to bypass Direwolf Pup and Greatjohn Umber. This meant that he had to use Shaggydog and Grey Wind as defenders (if he wanted to win the challenge), removing the Deadly threat on his turn to attack. Great plan, right? Well, it seemed so until he played a nasty event: Lethal Counterattack.

So then we had no idea how to resolve his event with respect to timing. We had a few questions:

1. Can he kneel Direwolf Pup and Greatjohn Umber to trigger the event? We ruled yes, as the Stealth means they can't be declared as defenders, not knelt for a card effect.

2. Does he still have to defend the challenge? We ruled no, based on the explanation from the rulebook: before and between (but not during) each phase there are opportunities for card play. He therefore could play the card right after I announced my attackers. Since they were all killed, it seemed logical to say that there was no longer any challenge. Or, it also seems possible to say that he must still defend the challenge with at least 1 STR or else lose as ties go to the attacker (and attacker STR=0). Any insight into this particular issue which I am sure comes up more often?

It was OK in the end as I just kept using poor Viserys to suck up the military claim and since I was hammering him in Power and Intrigue challenges, a few undefended military challenges were OK. When he had to trigger his Valar, I had a much easier time resetting my board and ran out to 15 power, but for future play I'd love some peace of mind that we were doing this more or less correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Can he kneel Direwolf Pup and Greatjohn Umber to trigger the event? We ruled yes, as the Stealth means they can't be declared as defenders, not knelt for a card effect.

Yes. Stealth only keeps them from being declared as attackers.

Quote:
2. Does he still have to defend the challenge? We ruled no, based on the explanation from the rulebook: before and between (but not during) each phase there are opportunities for card play. He therefore could play the card right after I announced my attackers. Since they were all killed, it seemed logical to say that there was no longer any challenge. Or, it also seems possible to say that he must still defend the challenge with at least 1 STR or else lose as ties go to the attacker (and attacker STR=0). Any insight into this particular issue which I am sure comes up more often?

No. Attack strength of zero is essentially no attack. It's just like effects that reduce defense strength/s to zero; there is no defense at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad to hear we basically got it right.

Would things change if the attacker had a duplicate attached to one or more of his characters? Would the attack still be canceled or would the attacker just discard the dupes and proceed with the challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone survives the attack would continue as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks as ever for your quick responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.