Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Inspector Moss 2 ('IM2') is a solo game, this is not so much a session report as a game log with some review-like tendencies. The intention is to give you a feel for how it plays, and what sort of decisions you have to take.

Based on the sum total of 2 whole games (this was my second), I think I am going to like IM2. I regularly find myself playing games solo, and this will give another game I can choose when I want to do that. Whilst it is not exactly a brain burner it does give set up some interesting choices, and provides for some strategising, and opportunities to swear at the dice.

In the references to rooms or room positions in the body of the text, I will use a (row,column) syntax. So the room at the top left is (1,1), the bottom left is (5,1) the top right is (1,5) and so on.

I set the game up as per the instructions. My starting position looked promising:

At (3,2) there was a flashlight. The assistance/tools are obviously of variable use and importance, but getting the flashlight early, so that all movement through secret passages took no time seemed like a no-brainer. I think I would grab most of the 'many uses' tools on the first turn if I could - the one use tools look much less enticing. So I planned to move to (3,2) grab the flashlight, and then see what else was available, but with a planned fall back position of going for the evidence at (3,4) - which with the flashlight, I could achieve with a single '5' by using the secret passage.

That worked perfectly, and at the end of the turn I was on (3,4) clutching the light. I had exposed rooms around (3,2) and none needed to be explored yet - though the secret passageway tool was tempting, and I had now positioned the police car. I had opened up access to the top and bottom left of the rooms.

Turn two also went well. I was able to gather the evidence on (3,4). Since the whistle on (2,4) did not appeal, and I needed 2 5's to go to the tempting search warrant on (4,4), I planned to go to (3,5) and see what would open up. The evidence on (3,4) was a right angled arrow. With a guaranteed zero suspects on row 3, I decided that I had to place it to use the diagonals, eliminating the suspects on (2,3) and (4,3). The dice were kind to me, and I moved to (3,5) and (2,5) opened up with an evidence icon. Fortunately, I had an unused 5, so moved there to end the turn. ((I also, in blatant, though innocent, disregard of the rules, unearthed the room tile on (4,5). That should have stayed hidden as there is no door from (3,5) to (4,5). OOops. Beginner's mistake)). Position after turn 2:

I decided to grab the evidence in (2,5) and then head for the bottom right corner, to see what was down there. The dice behaved themselves, so in turn 3 I got the evidence in (2,5) and got back to (3,4). The evidence in (2,5) was an up and down arrow. I decided to wipe out the 5th column rather than the second row, as it had more upsides - blank tiles that could be suspects, and nothing already eliminated, as (2,3) was. Whether I would have decided that had (4,5) not been wrongly unearthed, is another matter.

Turn 4 also went very well indeed. With only 2 5's known of my route, I held on to 1,2,3,4,6 to cover most eventualities. I pondered the warrant at (4,4) but went on past it, and the combination of dice I retained allowed me to pass through (5,4) ((where I had forgotten to place the evidence token. I would undoubtedly have hung around to get that, had I not been so stupid, and if it was a nice arrow, would undoubtedly have finished much quicker. Ah well I was having fun anyway.)) and into (5,5) ((so now (4,5) is legal )) so I could take a quick trip down a free secret tunnel and go all the way to (3,2) and still have a '2' left to get to (2,2). (1,2) had a suspect that was eliminated from (3,4). Only 4 turns down, and all but 8 tiles already turned up. I was feeling good about my prospects.

Since (1,2) has an evidence icon, that was an obvious one to try next. The plan was to then investigate the rest of the top row. Dice rolls were acceptable, and the evidence token was so-so, but by the end of turn 6, I had unearthed the whole of the top row, and was about to see what evidence token was at (1,5). The evidence token that I had also collected at (1,4) proved to be an alibi (hip, hip, hooray). Hoping that the evidence token at (1,5) would clear the top row, I decided to pick a suspect that was not yet played.

The evidence token at (1,5) turned out to be a 'tainted evidence' (boo, hiss) that I played on an as yet unplaced evidence token since there was nowhere else to play it. I then turned and ran for the bottom left of the tiles. By turn 8, I was nearly there:

Then things went pear shaped. The evidence token on (5,2) was not the 'cross' that would have left me with just a single suspect. And I was out of evidence tokens. At least I knew that I did not need to visit (4,1), but I had to change the layout of the evidence tokens somehow. I eventually worked out that if I changed the evidence token at (2,1) to point down, I could eliminate the suspect on (5,1) and make the suspect on (1,1) the guilty party. The evidence token on (2,1) was redundant in its current position (all suspects in the row were also eliminated from another evidence token). So 'all' I had to do was rush to (2,1) pick up and replace the evidence token, nip into (1,1) and arrest the suspect, and then leg it for the police car. Simples.

Two moves later, I had sorted out the evidence, and was in (1,1) waiting to arrest Tom Morrow. Could I manage it Tod Day?

No Probs. The dice were kind and I got my arrest on the first try. A couple of turns later the blue light was flashing and the siren screaming as Tom was whisked away to the slammer. Inspector Moss had triumphed again.

So, 14 minutes to spare, in Rookie mode. That means that in detective mode, I would have narrowly lost. But not too bad as a learning game (only my second ever - and on my first I had 1 minute left in Rookie mode). Had I not messed up the evidence on (5,4), I might have got there much quicker.

Good game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Love the session title. It fits perfectly in with the game!

Tod Day is in fact Tom Morrow's cousin (on his mother's side). Perhaps he will have revenge on the police for locking up Tom... IM3 perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Excellent! Love the session title. It fits perfectly in with the game!

Yeah. I don't know how he is going to be able to build a fireplace or upgrade his clay hut without the stone, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrific expose of a dangerous criminal. Makes me want to go full cardboard on this one. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.