Popular Tags: [View All]
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules have gone through a few iterations and I'm ready to get this baby tested!

Given the components used in the game, there are a few different ways I could do this and am looking for feedback from interested testers.

Here is a list of the components needed:

49 Ghoul Cards
4 Player Aids
10 Health Chips for each player
1 Draw Deck (regular playing cards) for each player 1 Location Deck (four suits 1-7) (should have different backs than the other decks)
1 set of Poker Dice (5 dice)

The Ghoul Cards and Player Aids can be printed up on 6 regular sheets of paper or card stock (8 1/2 X 11).

Example:

I would think that most playtesters have access to decks of playing cards, tokens for Health Chips (pennies or any small item can be used, but poker chips give the best feel), and dice (Poker Dice work the best, but normal six-sided dice can work as well).

Because of this, I'm even considering packaging the game two separate ways once it is published: The "Bare Bones" edition would just include the Ghoul Cards and Player Aids, while the deluxe edition (hopefully with some catchy name) would include everything.

So, that said, if you are interested in testing the game, would you be willing to print out your own cards and use your own other components? Would I get a better response if I printed up Bare Bones prototypes and sent those out for players to add their own playing cards, tokens, and dice? Or, should I limit the number of playtesters and send out deluxe edition prototypes?

Also, with the Ghoul Cards, I currently can't decide between these 3 options if testers are not open to printing their own:

1. Use my own printer and card stock. Cut and sleeve the cards. (This is how I'm currently testing.)
2. Order a few sets from Artscow.com (if I can find a coupon for 54 face cards)
3. Order a larger quantity from SuperiorPOD.com

I was hoping to get the game tested more before getting cards printed in case there are unnoticed errors or problems.

I don't have much to offer in return, but I'd be happy to give GG to playtesters who provide feedback along with giving recognition in the rules if desired.

Any input or suggestions about this would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in getting started now, the rules are found here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7949187/A8%20Rules2011-CURRENT.pdf

I'm especially looking for input from testers who play 3-4 player games because I've mostly played with 2 players.

The sheet files are located here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7949187/A8%20Sheets/A8%20Sheets.zip

The CardBacksNEW image is used for the backs of sheets 1-5
The CardBacksPlayerAid file is used for the back of Sheet6

Edit: Added sheet info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Aces & Eights: Dead Man's Hand - Looking for playtesters YET only
I'm going to suggest getting a ouija-BOARD and 'contacting' that "Wild Bill Hickok" to then determine if HE were "Wildest" about such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RacNRoll Gaming
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the ghoul cards are not color dependent (meaning you can print them in grey scale) then I will give it a shot for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this have anything to do with Aces & Eights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RacNRoll Gaming wrote:
If the ghoul cards are not color dependent (meaning you can print them in grey scale) then I will give it a shot for ya.

Awesome, thanks! The cards are not color dependent (I should have mentioned that) so printing in grey scale would work fine.

I need to make some slight adjustments, but should have the updated versions of the cards available soon.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GilvanBlight wrote:
Does this have anything to do with Aces & Eights?

No. This is "Aces & Eights: Dead Man's Hand," a card game with poker like mechanics. I've never played the RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll print out the ghoul cards since I have access to cardstock and a printer. I'll give it a go, but can't promise how much or how often. The game looks pretty cool, though, so I'm eager to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
I'll print out the ghoul cards since I have access to cardstock and a printer. I'll give it a go, but can't promise how much or how often. The game looks pretty cool, though, so I'm eager to try it.

Awesome, I hope you like it. If you run into any questions or have any comments along the way please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I PM'ed you a discount code for ArtsCow. Discounts ($2.99 for first, $6.99 there after) on card decks (1 design OR 54 face) with free shipping.

It may be $7.99 for the 54 face decks for the additional decks, I didn't test it.

Free shipping is one of the greatest discounts around for Arts Cow.

I just ordered my deck for $2.99 shipped. I will amend and post the code here tonight if anyone wants it. Just in case it is use limited, I want Meskue to order as many as needed first.

EDIT: Meskue has used the code, so for the ARTSCOW people out there, here is the info. PLEASE, PM me if this code ceases to work.
-------------
Starting today, you can customize a set of industrial standard playing cards (3 shapes to choose from) for just $2.99* with free shipping. So put on your serious poker face and start creating your very own personalized playing cards!
Coupon Code : 299PLYCRD
Expiry Date: 7 / 7 / 2011

*$2.99 for initial deck and $6.99/each thereafter

Offer applies to both single and 54 design playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting that and for checking it out!

As far as I can tell, the discount is limited to each household (shipping address) so anyone should be able to order a copy with that code if they haven't ordered anything with it already.

I was previously printing and cutting the cards by hand for playtesting, but this seems much more efficient. If anyone else orders a deck, please let me know and I can ship you whatever else you need to play (playing cards, poker dice, and poker chips).

Cheers!

JBMoby wrote:
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I PM'ed you a discount code for ArtsCow. Discounts ($2.99 for first, $6.99 there after) on card decks (1 design OR 54 face) with free shipping.

It may be $7.99 for the 54 face decks for the additional decks, I didn't test it.

Free shipping is one of the greatest discounts around for Arts Cow.

I just ordered my deck for $2.99 shipped. I will amend and post the code here tonight if anyone wants it. Just in case it is use limited, I want Meskue to order as many as needed first.

EDIT: Meskue has used the code, so for the ARTSCOW people out there, here is the info. PLEASE, PM me if this code ceases to work.
-------------
Starting today, you can customize a set of industrial standard playing cards (3 shapes to choose from) for just $2.99* with free shipping. So put on your serious poker face and start creating your very own personalized playing cards!
Coupon Code : 299PLYCRD
Expiry Date: 7 / 7 / 2011

*$2.99 for initial deck and $6.99/each thereafter

Offer applies to both single and 54 design playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerseydvd wrote:
Are the rules on this solid enough to get a deck printed, do you think?

Very good and fair question! Of course I am biased, but I would say they are fairly solid. I've been playing for a while and have not run into any issues since making some changes a while back. I've mostly played with 2 players, but there should not be much difference with 3 or 4 players. I've had others review the rules, which has resulted in some clarifications.

That said, the game is still in the testing phase. There is still the potential for changes to the rules or cards. If the changes are just to the rules or flow of the game, this set of cards would still be valid. The only issue would be if changes are made to the cards themselves.

For $2.99 (and free shipping), I would say it is worth it even if there are minor changes later. If you are interested in playtesting, let me know and I will gladly send any playing cards, poker chips, or poker dice you need (this "Bare Bones" Ghoul Deck is just one component of the game).

I'd say to check out the rules and look over the cards and see if it looks interesting to you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7949187/A8%20Rules2011-CURRENT.pdf

If you like poker, western themes, or zombies/ghouls you may enjoy it.

Tell you what... if you order a set and end up not liking it, I'll send you $3 via PayPal. I would say something cool like "love it or double your money back!" but then that would be $6 which is getting into the realm of real money.

I hope to make a video soon that explains the rules, but I can't guarantee that it will be available before the coupon deadline.

Thanks for checking it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerseydvd wrote:
Sure, why not? I'll give it a go.

Ordered your deck!

jersey

Awesome! Let me know if you need any playing cards, poker chips, or poker dice and I can ship them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been able to get the cards cut, so I'm thinking of going the artscow route. Do the files in the original post work for the artscow? If I remember correctly the files are sheets of cards, not individual cards. Would it be possible to upload a zip of each card's image to use with the artscow promotion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
I haven't been able to get the cards cut, so I'm thinking of going the artscow route. Do the files in the original post work for the artscow? If I remember correctly the files are sheets of cards, not individual cards. Would it be possible to upload a zip of each card's image to use with the artscow promotion?

I mentioned this in other posts, but forgot to list it in this one specifically. The images for the artscow deck are the same as the ones from the print and play sheets and have already been uploaded:

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/54cdgb96g0ea

Is that what you meant?

The artscow deal is definitely the way to go if you haven't already used the coupon for something else.

If you are interested in playtesting and need any poker dice, card decks, or poker chips, please let me know your name and address and I'd be happy to ship those out.

Also, I'm still in the process of uploading part2, but I finally have part1 of the instructional video uploaded to YouTube:

Forgive the quality of the video... I had to make some compromises just to get it to work.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/670917/windows-live-movi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arts Cow discount is great. But has anyone already uploaded the cards to artscow so that the rest of us can just order already created decks (using the discount)? If so, please post the link. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
The Arts Cow discount is great. But has anyone already uploaded the cards to artscow so that the rest of us can just order already created decks (using the discount)? If so, please post the link. Thanks.

Here is the link:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

Here is the link:

Great! That's what I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent video. I look forward to the second part. I will be sending the links to my buddies once the deck comes in. Excited to try this out.

meskue wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:

I mentioned this in other posts, but forgot to list it in this one specifically. The images for the artscow deck are the same as the ones from the print and play sheets and have already been uploaded:

Is that what you meant?

The artscow deal is definitely the way to go if you haven't already used the coupon for something else.

If you are interested in playtesting and need any poker dice, card decks, or poker chips, please let me know your name and address and I'd be happy to ship those out.

Also, I'm still in the process of uploading part2, but I finally have part1 of the instructional video uploaded to YouTube:

Forgive the quality of the video... I had to make some compromises just to get it to work.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/670917/windows-live-movi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the video helps. Here is the link to part two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBk03JBPwqs

If you run into any questions, just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

Here is the link:

Perfect!

Ordered for $2.99. Took about 2 minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
meskue wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

Here is the link:

Perfect!

Ordered for $2.99. Took about 2 minutes!

Thanks Todd!

If you need any poker dice, chips, or cards just let me know.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem!

Let me know the name/address to send them to (send me a geekmail) and I'll get those out to you. I just sent out a few packages yesterday and am excited to have so many testers checking it out.

Did you want cards, chips and dice for 4 players? (i.e. if you don't need playing cards or chips or if you will only be playing with 2 players or something just let me know)

jerseydvd wrote:
meskue wrote:
jerseydvd wrote:
Sure, why not? I'll give it a go.

Ordered your deck!

jersey

Awesome! Let me know if you need any playing cards, poker chips, or poker dice and I can ship them out.

Actually, I can use the extra 'components'. Hopefully my deck will be here soon!

Jerseydvd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the call for play testers for this one somehow. This game is right up my alley, so to speak. I can't wait to try it.

I couldn't get the rules link to work though. Can you let me know where I can get the current rules? I have watched both of the how to play videos and am going to try the game based upon what I learned there.

Once I have crafted it and played it, I will post the game to my geeklist and at least comment on it, maybe do a short review on it.

Thanks.

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcookman65 wrote:
I missed the call for play testers for this one somehow. This game is right up my alley, so to speak. I can't wait to try it.

I couldn't get the rules link to work though. Can you let me know where I can get the current rules? I have watched both of the how to play videos and am going to try the game based upon what I learned there.

Once I have crafted it and played it, I will post the game to my geeklist and at least comment on it, maybe do a short review on it.

Thanks.

Mark
365ZED

Perfect timing! I was actually about to put out another call for testers. There have been some slight changes since the original testing and I need people who can test out the game and give honest feedback. Instead of making your own copy, please PM me your mailing address and I'd be happy to send you out anything you need. I have a few left over ArtsCow decks (updated with the new values) and would like to get them in the hands of testers. I have plenty of poker dice, poker chips, and playing cards too so just let me know what you need and I'll get it to you ASAP.

The updated rules are here (changes are also listed in the comments):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68476/rules-aces-eight...

If that doesn't work, you can also get to them here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7949187/A8%20Rules2011-Version1-5.pd...

Also, I'm working on a backstory that I should have posted soon... stay tuned.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.