Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with the idea yesterday morning and after playtesting it a bit against myself, I ran it with my girlfriend. She does not have the most patience with gaming but we did try four hands and I think it works. Of course I fear there may be some rough edges and ruleset so any critique and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Version 0.1 - 08 June 2011

If Badger was a Bunny
An asymmetric climbing race game for two.

Introduction
The tortoise and the hare are staging a series of races!

To be the champion just keep getting rid of your cards first.

Setup
Shuffle the basic deck and discard two cards (to introduce uncertainty) and deal one face up to each player to be the starting positions for each player.

Take the remaining cards and deal them equally to each player (sixteen each). The hare then draws the top eight cards off his deck, while the tortoise draws none (zero). The hare starts first.

Racin’
There are three types of plays: singles, rank-set (groups of cards with the same ranks), and straights (ascending consecutive ranks of two or more cards). The hare may play as many cards as he desires, but the tortoise may play at most two cards at a time.

A play must always be connected to the player’s race course. The first card played must either share a suit, or share the rank, or be of one higher rank than of the top card of his or her race course. Each player's race course will always remain their own, they will never play cards on their opponent's course. At the end of the race, each player's course should be completely connected from beginning to end. It is suggested that the players announce their plays and mention how it is connected (such as "I play a 6,7,8 straight, the 6 is connected by the sun to the orange crown")

After the lead, the second player may either pass or play the same type of play and the final card must be of equal or higher rank than the first player’s final card (and yes, it must be connected the second player's course). Only the final card matters in determining the rank of the play. When a player passes, the series ends and the other player may then lead with any type of play on their race course. Because the hare and the tortoise may play different numbers of cards in a play, the amount of cards (aside from two(!)) in a rank-set or a straight is irrelevant. Even though the hare must follow type, he may play as many cards as he wishes to the play (ie 3,4,5,6 in response to a 5,6 straight played by the tortoise). Similarly, no matter how many cards the hare plays, the tortoise must merely follow type (ie she may follow four Aces with a pair of Aces of higher)

Drawing cards
As mentioned previously, the tortoise starts with an empty hand. However, she will draw two cards at the beginning of each turn until her deck runs out.

The hare does not replenish his hand regularly, he will draw cards only in three situations. If he passes and has cards remaining in his hand, he will draw a single card. If he passes and has no cards remaining in his hand then he will draw the remainder of his deck. Finally, he will draw the remainder of his deck after the end of the series during which the tortoise draws her last card. The hare will never draw a card without following a pass. In the second situation, even if the hare won the series where he shed his last hand card, he will still have to pass the lead to the tortoise as he cannot play until he draws his cards. In the third situation, he will not draw the remainder of his deck until someone passes.

Extended Decktet
I could easily imagine that the pawns and courts could be inserted in the deck, they would rank between the nine's and crowns. As such the setup would still involve discarding two cards and starting with two cards, but instead of starting with eight cards, the hare would start with ten cards.

If the excuse was included in the deck I would say that it would be a wild any-suited card that would be lower than aces. Just discard three cards a the start of the game instead of two.

Winning
The first player to shed all of his or her cards is immediately the winner of the race. If both players are unable to shed their final cards, the winner will be whoever has the fewest cards remaining. If they are tied in remaining cards, then the race is declared a draw.

A full tournament of races would involve four rounds with the players alternating as the hare and the tortoise, and see who has the best record. If after four races, the series is a draw, then continue racing and the next winner is the champion badger.

Thanks
Credit goes to my girlfriend who helped me playtest the game. Currently I think the game is fairly unique, which I think is odd for a first design, though if anyone finds any striking similarities to other games which I have overlooked, I would certainly be interested in following up and readily acknowledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to see how it plays out if any of y'all are kind enough to try it, but I think that the tortoise has the advantage. You can certainly win as the hare, but its definitely harder than it might seem from the rules.

In my playtest with the girlfriend, the Hare's Record was 1-2-1 (and his victory was the first learning game). That said, each race was pretty close except one where I made a mistake in planning my initial moves as the hare. An early mistake by the hare is absolutely crippling. But the races are so short so I don't think that's a problem for the game.

As I mentioned, the development time was pretty quick, but I've played enough climbing games in my time to be comfortable to think that this could work as a nice light game. I'd be surprised if there was much any deeper strategy in the game....but if you think there is I'd love to hear it.

The only way there would be much more depth in the game is if you started counting cards -- especially since they are (almost) all out there on the board to review, however, I think that if analysis paralysis becomes a problem, I'd suggest stacking the first half of the race courses after the Tortoise has emptied her draw deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
This is the most bizarrely stupid / silly idea I've seen in awhile.

How marvelous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
In fact, aside from Cribbage [which has an asymmetric number of hands] and something like Dou Dizhu or Mu [which have asymmetric partnerships], I'm finding it hard to come up with an analogous example of a traditional style game with similar asymmetry in hand size [beyond mere "deal all the cards out as evenly as possible" games] and hand play. Are you aware of any obvious ones that I'm missing, or did this just come to you out of the blue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its weird, I don't think I based it off of anything really, more just mashing two types of things I like a lot...obviously I'm a huge climbing games fan and I've always found the idea of asymmetric 2P games really interesting even though they are seeming rare aside from Mr Jack.

I've played Haggis (3P only)and I've read the rules to Caravan, but I'm not sure how this game came to be formed in its early stages in my head. Unfortunately I started to think about this game on my bus ride to/from work so I didn't take any notes then, and any notes I did write were after the game had already pretty much formed into this shape after all the initial self plays and multiple iterations to get something playable. My current twelve hour days at my office are not helping my memory either, and of course if I did plagiarize from another game unconsciously, I'd be happy to admit it as soon as someone jogs my memory!

If anything the driving force in the development, I'd say it was the theme. Since it was a race, it clearly had to be a shedding game (especially given my interests). The question then became how do you simulate the hare's fast start getting bogged down while the tortoise catches up, and a furious race to the end? Whenever I hit a dead end, I'd ask myself, what does this action simulate in the fable (such as passing = bunny nap which gives him a little extra "energy")? The decktet (and the tableau discussion in the cribbage thread) certainly suggested the race track as a constraint to give the card play structure - necessary for a 2P climbing game I think. And finally I guess I'm also not that much of a fan of point scoring in climbing games since we used to play thirteenfor the sheer joy of winning hands without thought scoring -- and a race theme certainly lends itself to an all or nothing proposition.

I do have two rabbits and the idea of "if the bunny was a badger" wordplay off of "if Charlemagne was a badger" was running in my head...especially since one of my rabbits IS named Badger!

(edited slightly for slightly less unclarity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fine. I'll try it out if I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
I do have two rabbits and the idea of "if the bunny was a badger" play off of "if Charlemagne was a badger" was running in my head...especially since one of my rabbits IS named Badger!

Ha! How wonderfully serendipitous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that Badger is a particularly stupid name for a rabbit. What was wrong with rover, or spot, or tiddles, or kitty or jumbo or leo, etc ?

Stoat may not be appropriate, however.

My daughter had a rabbit called (inevitably) Peter. It was female, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
I have to say that Badger is a particularly stupid name for a rabbit. What was wrong with rover, or spot, or tiddles, or kitty or jumbo or leo, etc ?

Stoat may not be appropriate, however.

My daughter had a rabbit called (inevitably) Peter. It was female, of course.

Hahha yeah generally I'd agree Badger is a wacky name, but he has a sharpish face and does have a bad habit of nipping people at random moments..... in any case he was a rescue bunny and the vet who spayed him named him Badger. We tried to change it years ago, but it was too damn perfect so its stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls