Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone considered going to a miniatures format?

I have Battles of Napoleon and purchased additional infantry and cavalry for both the British and French. Unfortunately I have yet to invest the time in learning the rules (I did read them when I first got the game) or play testing.

I am considering harvesting the BoN miniatures for C&C:N because I am not sure BoN will see the table much.

I have also been trolling the Plastic Soldier Review site to get an idea of what it will take to duplicate the base C&C:N armies.

So my question is has anyone already done this or researched it?
If so what did you find out in the process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Has anyone considered going to a miniatures format?

So my question is has anyone already done this or researched it?
If so what did you find out in the process?

The real question is has anyone not considered this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look like they may be 28mm figures which I am trying to avoid due to cost and space reqirements.

I should have specified 1/72.

But yes, I am sure many have considered miniatures, but has anyone gone the next step of actually figuring out which 1/72 sets would be needed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rebased some existing 15mm metal miniatures and usually put 3 to a base, (2 for lights) and then replicated one base = one C&CN block. I then used Kallistra Hexons for the board tiles (although I believe there is a US product called "Hotzmats" or "Holtzmats" that comes in 4" or 5" hexes which has been purpose made for 20mm or 28mm scales)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
I am using Risk miniatures (the Napoleonic looking ones), three to a 10x30mm stand from Litko Aero. Cav is two to a 25x25mm stand, arty is 1 gun and one infantry guy per 25x25 and leaders are a horse on 10x30 stand. The edge of the bases is painted with a paint marker to specify what type of unit it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:
I am using Risk miniatures (the Napoleonic looking ones), three to a 10x30mm stand from Litko Aero. Cav is two to a 25x25mm stand, arty is 1 gun and one infantry guy per 25x25 and leaders are a horse on 10x30 stand. The edge of the bases is painted with a paint marker to specify what type of unit it is.

I have been looking for a Risk set of this kind to no avail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
kixdsky wrote:

I have been looking for a Risk set of this kind to no avail.

I bought 4 or 5 sets on eBay before this game was released. Look for 1994 Risk and you'll find your sets (they wont be cheap)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Dabros
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steven,

I'm in the process of doing this right now. I just bought a bunch of mostly Hat and Italeri 1/72nd kits that I have started priming/painting:

HaT French Infantry 1808-12 #8095
HaT 1805 French Grenadiers and Voltigeurs #8171
HaT French Horse Grenadiers #8013
HaT French Line Horse Artillery #8039
HaT Peninsular War British Infantry #8186
HaT British Heavy Dragoons #8033
HaT Bavarian Cavalry #8030

Italeri French Hussars #6008
Italeri French Cuirassiers #6084
Italeri French Dragoons #6015
Italeri French Imperial Guard Artillery #6135
Italeri Highlander Infantry #6136
Italeri British Light Cavalry 1815 #6094 x2
Italeri British Artillery #6041

Revell British Rifles #2581

I decided on these kits for a number of reasons - cost, quality of sculpt, availability, etc. I have a large number of spares, so there are probably better ways to combine the kits to buy less. But I figure I'll be able to use some for later expansions.

I bought most of the kits from an online shop in the States http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ as the prices and shipping were reasonable. I have this all detailed in a spreadsheet along with how it maps back to the three CCN armies. Let me know if you're interested and I can e-mail it to you.

Cheers,
Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Nilsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:

I bought 4 or 5 sets on eBay before this game was released. Look for 1994 Risk and you'll find your sets (they wont be cheap)

There's one on the UK ebay site for £20. ...but the seller won't ship outside of the UK. I suppose it doesn't matter as shipping would be expensive.

Edit: Would Viktory II pieces work? Not that it'd be much cheaper though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Crescent wrote:
kixdsky wrote:

There's one on the UK ebay site for £20. ...but the seller won't ship outside of the UK. I suppose it doesn't matter as shipping would be expensive.

Edit: Would Viktory II pieces work? Not that it'd be much cheaper though...

You may want to check out auctions for just the pieces. I see those quite often, and that was how I got one set worth of my pieces (I even got them on the sprue!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddball_54 wrote:

I bought most of the kits from an online shop in the States http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ as the prices and shipping were reasonable. I have this all detailed in a spreadsheet along with how it maps back to the three CCN armies. Let me know if you're interested and I can e-mail it to you.

Cheers,
Marc

Wow, those are good prices.

GM sent.

Thanks

StevenE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddball_54 wrote:
Hey Steven,

I'm in the process of doing this right now. I just bought a bunch of mostly Hat and Italeri 1/72nd kits that I have started priming/painting:

HaT French Infantry 1808-12 #8095
HaT 1805 French Grenadiers and Voltigeurs #8171
HaT French Horse Grenadiers #8013
HaT French Line Horse Artillery #8039
HaT Peninsular War British Infantry #8186
HaT British Heavy Dragoons #8033
HaT Bavarian Cavalry #8030

Italeri French Hussars #6008
Italeri French Cuirassiers #6084
Italeri French Dragoons #6015
Italeri French Imperial Guard Artillery #6135
Italeri Highlander Infantry #6136
Italeri British Light Cavalry 1815 #6094 x2
Italeri British Artillery #6041

Revell British Rifles #2581

I decided on these kits for a number of reasons - cost, quality of sculpt, availability, etc. I have a large number of spares, so there are probably better ways to combine the kits to buy less. But I figure I'll be able to use some for later expansions.

Cheers,
Marc

No love for Zvezda? I think they have the best figures (although not British, Zvezda focus is on France/Russia). Hat. Italeri, Waterloo 1815 are good too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Honan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had some success with adding miniatures. I play on a five inch hotz mat with 1/72 scale figures. Mostly plastic, but some metal. It's a fantastic game and I heartily recommend giving it the full treatment.

You can see some pictures here.

Salamanca

http://joyandforgetfulness.blogspot.com/2011/06/salamanca-br...

The Coa

http://joyandforgetfulness.blogspot.com/2011/05/battle-of-co...

Corunna

http://joyandforgetfulness.blogspot.com/2011/03/leprecon-ii-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice... As in the battles of the day, how do you tell which units are which?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Honan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. They look different I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Piquet with the 25mm figures so I'll keep using the blocks. This game is good for when I don't want to drag all the figures and terrain out or when I'm introducing new players to Napoleonics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Acker
United States
Hartwell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I converted my 15 mm Volley and Bayonet basing to CCN. An inf stand is 2 figs, a cav stand is one, inf is one gun +2 figures. It works well on the original board, although I use a Battlelore board because it matches my base color better. I posted a session report with photos early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy of CCN on order and I'm just getting the materials together to put together some miniatures.

One question. Could someone provide the dimensions of a hex on the standard game board please. (ie. The measurement from one hexside to the opposite hexside.)

I need this to try and work out basing as I've seen some posts that suggest 18mm, 25mm and 30mm widths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.