Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so it's my first time stepping into the depths of the forums here so please be gentle on me (or give me a safe word ninja)

Anywho, it's not that I've grown tired of the Collectible Miniature Games & Collectible Card Games that are currently out there I'm just looking for some "themed" games that don't require me to continuously buy blind boosters. Even more ideally just require me to buy a core set and begin the fun!

In order of preferences I'd have to say that I find my genres to be prefenced as;

Horror > Cyberpunk > Fantasy > Steampunk > Sci-Fi

with any of the above being great and am looking for games that are either boardgame or card-based. Play time would preferably last at least 30 minutes and last anywhere up to 6 hours per game (pretty flexible) and not require too much prior knowledge of lore surrounding the game to understand the concepts being used.

To alleviate suggestions of games that I'm already in the process of ordering/purchasing there is no need to mention "Call of Cthulhu LCG", "ANIMA: Shadow of Omega", "Resident Evil Deck Building Game" or "Space Hulk: Death Angel" or obviously any of the few games listed in my profile as "owned".

Bonus points for suggestions involving Zombies, Vampires or other undead-ites Also games that have expansions are a bonus too, but not necessary.

Thank you all in advance for your time & response!

*EDIT: Created a Geeklist to help manage the games mentioned in this thread Non-Collectible Horror/Fantasy/Steampunk/Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi Games. Credit has been given for each and every entry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Dordas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, a tall order, but I'm sure that BGG can help.

Earth Reborn might be a good one to snatch up right now, because it's $30 ($40 w shipping) on Tanga. That is absolute robbery. It's a tactical squad-level, grid-based game with minis and a customizable map. The game has HUGE depth. (zombies, sci-fi, horror perhaps?)

Android is a sci-fi game I really enjoy, but I would read some reviews with a cautious sense of optimism before you pull the trigger on that one. (cyberpunk, sci-fi)

Race for the Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, so I can't help but mention that one. It's one of those "more than meets the eye" sort of card games. It's well worth learning! (sci-fi)

Though it does have a lot of boosters, Summoner Wars is releasing a Master Set this month with 5 (?) full armies, and while there are a lot of boosters (non-random) you could buy, I'm sure the base set would be good (Fantasy)

And of course, how could I forget Chaos in the Old World? It's one of my favs, and it just got an expansion that expands it to 5 players. It's a very backstabby game full of conspiring and "take that" moments. (Horror, fantasy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Arkham Horror
Defenders of the Realm
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

These should keep you busy for while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game will give you a great B movie zombie experience, and it is a lot of fun. It also has a ton of expansions and goodies to enhance the experience.

Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger
Last Night on Earth: Survival of the Fittest
Last Night on Earth 'Stock Up' Supplement

and many more . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dordas wrote:
Blue Moon

This is "Blue Moon" and not "Blue Moon Cities", right? I just happened to check that tonight and am seeing if it can be ordered in Thanks for confirming my curiosities on this one Dordas!

Downside of living in Western Australia: inflated local costs, extended liasons with companies in other parts of the country or ridiculous shipping costs from International sellers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
Earth Reborn might be a good one to snatch up right now, because it's $30 ($40 w shipping) on Tanga. That is absolute robbery. It's a tactical squad-level, grid-based game with minis and a customizable map. The game has HUGE depth. (zombies, sci-fi, horror perhaps?)

Will have to check shipping to here, but certainly sounds versatile!

Aurendrosl wrote:
Android is a sci-fi game I really enjoy, but I would read some reviews with a cautious sense of optimism before you pull the trigger on that one. (cyberpunk, sci-fi)

Seen this one before (think on some Cyberpunk geeklist) and not sure why it didn't grab me? I might have to look at it again as Cyberpunk seems a hard trope to satisfy... Unless I want to revisit Shadowrun pen-and-paper days...

Aurendrosl wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, so I can't help but mention that one. It's one of those "more than meets the eye" sort of card games. It's well worth learning! (sci-fi)

Sounds promising!

Aurendrosl wrote:
Though it does have a lot of boosters, Summoner Wars is releasing a Master Set this month with 5 (?) full armies, and while there are a lot of boosters (non-random) you could buy, I'm sure the base set would be good (Fantasy)

Hmmm, sounds like something I'd have to source locally as it seems like a huge Master Set in both weight and dimension. Might skim past this for now but keep my eyes open for it

Aurendrosl wrote:
And of course, how could I forget Chaos in the Old World? It's one of my favs, and it just got an expansion that expands it to 5 players. It's a very backstabby game full of conspiring and "take that" moments. (Horror, fantasy)

I LOVE "backstabby"! I'll be looking for this one for sure! My friends are a little jaded when we play Zombie in my Pocket and I screw them over for Gasoline Tokens so it'll be nice to have a new way to get them to table rage!

Jude wrote:

Trying to avoid Arkham Horror for now mainly due to ordering CoC: The Card Game with a few expansions. I love Cthulhu and friends with a passion but don't want my friends tiring of them

Touch of Evil, Defenders & Conquest of Planet Earth all tickle the right tropes from the looks of it  

Are all the Flying Frog games essentially the same with different tropes? I've seen alot of them at my local store and they rave about "Last Night on Earth"... perhaps knowing I'm the sort of person who can't resist expansions. They'll die when they know I'm getting CoC: The Card Game LCG!

baub64 wrote:
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game will give you a great B movie zombie experience, and it is a lot of fun. It also has a ton of expansions and goodies to enhance the experience.

Assuming the Flying Frog games are pretty much all icecream of varying flavours I'm probably leaning to this one the most. Are the expansions suggested to be purchased chronologically or do they work just as well regardless what you buy?

Does this game compare to "Zombies!!!" or are they just simliar in the fact the both contain Zombies and numerous expansions (if anyone happens to own both)?

Sorry for the massive wall-of-text, didn't want to leave anyone unreplied! Thank you all so much for your suggestions so far; much more reliable that generally ambling around "weak suggestions"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gagnon
msg tools
You might not want to totally give up on dead collectible games since there are some very cheap ones that are worth picking up, though I'm not sure if there are inexpensive Australian/international sources available to you.

Horrorclix is a fun miniatures game with the starter selling for $7 US and boosters only a few dollars each.

Hecatombuses octagonal cards with clear edges to see stacked monster statistics when building powerful monsters. A box of starters is $10 with full bosster boxes about twice that price.

If you're a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, starters and boosters are selling for $8.

These are all available at:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com

Don't forget that Cthulhu was originally a CCG. The rules didn't change when the distribution model changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:

I LOVE "backstabby"! I'll be looking for this one for sure! My friends are a little jaded when we play Zombie in my Pocket and I screw them over for Gasoline Tokens so it'll be nice to have a new way to get them to table rage!

You might enjoy Mission: Red Planet, then. Some light, fun, somewhat random steampunk nastiness. (And you can get even more into character with my "unique abilities" variant: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57601/mrp-unique-abili...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Lammers
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rgagnon wrote:

If you're a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, starters and boosters are selling for $8.

If you're a fan of Buffy you're better off with Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game. I don't know if it's easily available in your area, but in the US it is often found at thrift stores or can be purchased on Ebay without too much expense.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark yet.

Fearsome Floors is an interesting strategy game with a horror theme. Try to escape across the board without being eaten, and try to lure the monster into eating your friends if you can.

I haven't played Mansions of Madness yet, but Betrayal at House on the Hill is a lot of fun, is available again, and someone becomes the traitor partway through the game.

In Fury of Dracula (second edition), one player is Dracula and the others are hunters searching for him. There are several other games of this type, including two based on Jack the Ripper if that interests you.

I agree that there just aren't many cyberpunk or steampunk games. As an on-and-off Shadowrunner, it makes me sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgagnon wrote:

Horrorclix is a fun miniatures game with the starter selling for $7 US and boosters only a few dollars each.

Yep pretty cheap here too Just the whole blind boosters thing is killing me at the moment; $500+ worth of Monsterpocalypse and venturing towards $120+ of Dragon Dice (at current prices that is) in the last 12 months. As much as Horrorclix (even the DC/Indy Heroclix for that matter) does sound enticing I'm steering clear for now on the 'Clix... 

rgagnon wrote:
Hecatombuses octagonal cards with clear edges to see stacked monster statistics when building powerful monsters.

Sounds intriguing, will check it out, but still skating around the ol' collectibles

rgagnon wrote:
If you're a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Only through bits and pieces of the early seasons, but was more a fan of the movie (wow, flashbacks!) than the series. Even if mechanics were overly great it's just a franchise I don't see myself buying. I like my vampires in the Hammer Horror or Malkavian flavours generally

Thanks for your tips, will check out the 'Clix and this "Hecatomb" when I'm ready to start a new CMG/CCG

squash wrote:
Mohrlock wrote:

I LOVE "backstabby"!

You might enjoy Mission: Red Planet, then.  Some light fun, somewhat random steampunk nastiness.  (And you can get even more into character with my "unique abilities" variant:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57601/mrp-unique-abili...)

The first Steampunk entry! My local stores haven't really got on the whole Steampunk train (unintended pun, I swear!) yet; stock-standard Fantasy/SciFi/Horror affair. If the gamebox is small enough should be worth the import?

naturestee wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark yet.

Forgive my crudeness, but is this Heroquest on steroids? That's complimentary of course.

The only thing that worries me is the cost of well over $120 here for it... I'm not opposed to spending that if it can be pulled out time and again but would hate to see it played once and never again at that price

naturestee wrote:
Fearsome Floors is an interesting strategy game with a horror theme. Try to escape across the board without being eaten, and try to lure the monster into eating your friends if you can.

You had me sold on this one at "lure the monster into eating your friends"!

naturestee wrote:
Betrayal at House on the Hill is a lot of fun, is available again, and someone becomes the traitor partway through the game.

Thank you so much! This game is what brought me to BGG originally and had (sadly) forgotten all about it! Definitely making the list!

naturestee wrote:
Fury of Dracula (second edition), one player is Dracula and the others are hunters searching for him.

Looks great, Mastermind meets Cluedo meets Van Helsing? A nice change of pace for a Vampire game

naturestee wrote:
I agree that there just aren't many cyberpunk or steampunk games. As an on-and-off Shadowrunner, it makes me sad.

I've seen stuff like Malifaux & Warmachine trying to fill the void but there are a majority of people, like myself, who got burnt out painting miniatures & gluing bases a long time ago... Surely some game company is working on some fresh or revised 'Punk love?

- Another handful of overly helpful responses! Thanks so much yet again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:

Are all the Flying Frog games essentially the same with different tropes?

I have A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game and Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game (but NOT Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game) and they seem different enough to me. Yeah, the rules feel a bit the same and use some of the same rules mechanisms, but, for example:
In A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, characters explore and try to gain useful objects and NPC allies (which may turn out to be enemies) so that they can fight "evil" creatures and eventually have a showdown with the Big Evil.
In Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game, each player controls an alien race/species intent on conquering earth, with resistance forces popping up all the time to try to stop them. It also has more of a direct attack gameplay instead of explore and survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I want bonus points!

Maybe you could find something on my list that you might like. I've played 65 different zombie games so far this year. Check the list out here:

365ZED -- Unique Games List

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I checked before I posted I was going to add Mark's geeklist- fabulous source for zombie games zombie and lots you can make yourself. A must read!

And Last Night on Earth is way better than Zombies!! - there are event cards and items that make it much more engaging, tactical and cinematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I have A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game and Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game (but NOT Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game) and they seem different enough to me. Yeah, the rules feel a bit the same and use some of the same rules mechanisms

Hmmm, sounds interesting the differences between, but I think as a whole I'd definitely only be picking one of the Flying Frog games and Last Night on Earth certainly sounds like the one for me, especially when it sounds like CoC LCG will cover off on what Touch of Evil offers.

Conquest does sound pretty decent though, perhaps I can talk a friend of mine (who is more into SciFi) to purchasing this one *ponders*

mcookman65 wrote:

I want bonus points!

365ZED -- Unique Games List

Certainly received for your list! I'm a bit dissapointed at your rating for Touch the Dead (My versions of the game are "Dead & Furious") as considering the DS capabilities I found it a great on-rails experience. Perhaps I'm bias due to having two copies and a loving fiance who plays multiplayer with me.

Your fellow love for Cheerleader Zombies in ZimP does redeem you though Your "Zed" list is certainly comprehensive and opening my eyes to a few more games of brain-eating goodness!

baub64 wrote:
And Last Night on Earth is way better than Zombies!! - there are event cards and items that make it much more engaging, tactical and cinematic.

Thanks for clearing that up Baub64! The Zombie-lover in me would've had me buy both but at least now I know which game - and all it's expansions - to invest my dollars on

I think I'm going to have to start a Geeklist just to manage all these suggestions from this thread! Please keep them coming everyone; games aren't always so readily available so the more at my/our disposal the better chance I have of actually having some in my idle hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubly recommend Summoner Wars: Master Set. It's not collectible, but rather expandable. It's only a money sink in so far as you'll want to buy everything cause it's so awesome. Once the master set is released, there will be 14 different factions, plus "reinforcements" that you can buy (which gives you more, new units for each faction that you can swap out the existing units to mix things up).

Warhammer: Invasion has gotten a lot of praise, and as someone who was never big into CCGs and the dozens of keywords that you have to memorize the rules for, it does a pretty good job at keeping things simple.

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 is a post-apocalyptic themed skirmish-style game. I think it's pretty neat, but it's not as strongly themed as a lot of the other stuff on this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
I doubly recommend Summoner Wars: Master Set. It's not collectible, but rather expandable. It's only a money sink in so far as you'll want to buy everything cause it's so awesome.

Rather than the Master set would it be possible to play just by purchasing individual Faction Decks (one per player)? At the end of the day I don't need a plethora of armies

tatoolo wrote:

Lost me at "Warhammer" sadly. I know the Warhammer Fantasy setting pretty well and I used to be neck-deep in GW stuff growing up, it's just not my style of "fantasy" any more.

tatoolo wrote:
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 is a post-apocalyptic themed skirmish-style game. I think it's pretty neat, but it's not as strongly themed as a lot of the other stuff on this list.

I've seen this as an iPhone app; if it's not too dissimilar? At least that way if I'm not too big a fan of the tactics involved I haven't spent a small fortune to work it out Not as theme-heavy as I hoped but still perhaps a worthwhile mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabb Queen
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said you were avoiding Arkham Horror due to purchasing CoC but I am just going to rec it again anyway because it so perfectly fits your desires:

Horror: Check
Theme-y: Check
Expandable, yet not collectible based: Check (many great expacs for this)
Playtime: Check...quite an involved game, can last hours

And its one of the best games I have ever played. It's also a co-op so I imagine it wouldn't feel the same as CoC ... which I am on the brink of buying myself.

But if you really don't want to try it out I suggest Ghost Stories http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37046/ghost-stories which is a horror co-op ib a similar vein, but you play a Taoist monk banishing bad ghosts, demons and undeadies from a town. This game is challenging and has a few expansions available as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queen_mabb wrote:
I know you said you were avoiding Arkham Horror due to purchasing CoC but I am just going to rec it again anyway because it so perfectly fits your desires

Oh it's certainly on the purchase list, but trying to get a bit of variety in my games at the moment. I'm a little Cthulhu crazy (ironic?) so just trying to be gentle on my fellow gaming friends for now.

I was of the understanding it was competitive so to hear it is co-op sounds great and perhaps more chance of getting my fiance to play it

queen_mabb wrote:
But if you really don't want to try it out I suggest Ghost Stories http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37046/ghost-stories which is a horror co-op ib a similar vein, but you play a Taoist monk banishing bad ghosts, demons and undeadies from a town. This game is challenging and has a few expansions available as well.

Never thought I'd here that a Taoist Monk was the main PC in a game! Will have a closer look into this, especially with it standing out from the rest

And for those that are still following this thread I've added a Geeklist (also now in the main post) that is following this thread's game suggestions

It's been awesome so far to be hearing so many games that I've looked at being recommended here. It's just so hard to tell a gem from a stone sometimes, especially when they're drenched in "theme"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
Rather than the Master set would it be possible to play just by purchasing individual Faction Decks (one per player)? At the end of the day I don't need a plethora of armies

Kind of: You need a board, dice, and wound markers plus two factions to play. There are two "starter sets" that each come with this (though the board is a crappy paper sheet folded up that will not lay flat). One of the starter sets is now sold out and hard to find, though. They each are MSRP $25. Then you can buy individual factions for MSRP $10. There are four of these available now. The Master Set gives you 6 factions, the dice and markers, an updated rulebook,, and a "premium" board (which is to say a mounted board like you'd expect), all for MSRP $50. It's really the biggest bang for your buck at the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth series is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
In order of preferences I'd have to say that I find my genres to be prefenced as;

Horror > Cyberpunk > Fantasy > Steampunk > Sci-Fi

As it happens sci-fi is one of my favourite genres (game-wise) but since it is at the *end* of your list, I'll just give you my favourite - Nexus Ops
Top of my playlist this year is Mansions of Madness. I am loving this. It has it's detractors, I know, but I think if you go into it with the right expectations (i.e. it is NOT an RPG) it is a great addition to the 'Horror' board game genre.

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One game I highly recommend is Claustrophobia. Mechanically, it's been described as a kind of "Space Hulk lite": one player controls a party of convict-soldiers led by a warrior-priest and the other player controls the swarms of troglodytes and demons they're trying to hold back at the mouth of hell. Just a few simple rules governing movement lead to surprisingly tactical play without getting bogged down in counting action points as in Space Hulk. There are also more options for the demon player in Claustrophobia than there are for the gene stealer player in Space Hulk. Games are relatively short, around 45-50 minutes once you know the rules. It also happens to be one of the most beautifully produced games I own. It's a great game that has a reputation for creating avid fans after just a couple plays. Go read the comments in the forums. Many of them are along the lines of "Holy crap! Why did I wait so long to buy this amazing game!"

And just to clarify about Flying Frog's games:

Both Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game use the same basic game engine and are intercompatible. LNOE is small-town humans versus zombies and plays out like the plot of a B-movie zombie horror film. IFOS is carnies versus martians, inspired by 1950's B-movie invasion films. Imagine if the martians from Mars Attacks! landed in an old traveling carnival complete with sideshows like the bearded lady and dancing bear, and you get the idea.

The remainder of their games are mechanically different from each other. A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game involves investigating supernatural horror in colonial New England, inspired by literature like the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Young Goodman Brown. The nice thing about this one is it can be played as a cut-throat competitive game, a co-op, or (my favorite) using two competing teams.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is another 1950's B-movie-inspired alien invasion game, but mechanically it's a territory control game with each player controlling a different alien faction competing to take over the planet. It also allows cooperative and even solo play.

I don't know much about the mechanics of their upcoming game Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. Thematically it's inspired by 1930's and 1940's pulp adventure like Indiana Jones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gagnon
msg tools
Mohrlock wrote:
Just the whole blind boosters thing is killing me at the moment; $500+ worth of Monsterpocalypse and venturing towards $120+ of Dragon Dice (at current prices that is) in the last 12 months. As much as Horrorclix (even the DC/Indy Heroclix for that matter) does sound enticing I'm steering clear for now on the 'Clix... 

I'm not a great fan of blind purchase collectibles either. When I can buy whole boxes of collectibles for the price of a couple booster packs, it makes them viable for me. The enticement to buy them now is that the dead ones are a dwindling resource. Two years ago, cases of Mage Knight and DreamBlade were selling for under $30. Today, Mage Knight is twice that price or higher and DreamBlade is four times that price if it can be found at all. A year ago, boosters of HorrorClix were selling for a dollar--that's a nice price to get four painted miniatures. The thing I like about miniatures is that they can be used in other games, so I don't mind getting duplicates. Any collectible game can be played as a standard game. Since the games are dead, they've sort of slipped out of the collectible side and are generally no more expensive than the non-collectibles while providing more components for the same price.

For about $100, a person could buy the HorrorClix starter set, 10 boosters of Freak Show and Nightmares each, a brick of 12 boosters for the original set and The Lab, Alien Queen (at http://www.dacardworld.com/gaming/horrorclix), and Freddie vs. Jason. That's a little over 200 painted miniatures of which I'd guess a bit over half will be all different figures. You probably didn't get that many Monsterpocalypse figures for five times that price.

The CCG version of Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game unfortunately uses different backs than the LCG version. Boxes of booster packs sell for $20 and would provide 432 cards. FFG's A Game of Thrones LCG and CCG use the same card backs, so are more compatible together. Tournaments of both games won't allow CCG cards to be used.

The difference between Zombies!!! and Last Night on Earth is that Zombies!!! is a screw your opponent kind of game with all players using zombies to impede other players--whereas LNOE is a semi-cooperative game with players being either zombies or humans fighting against one another. Zombies!!! has less depth, but is still fun as a casual game. Humans!!! is a bit better than Zombies!!! and players are zombies trying to infect humans.

Heroscape is a good one to get. The Valkyrie set is no longer reasonably available and other base sets will eventually be commanding collector prices since the game has been discontinued. The real beauty of the game is the modular hexagonal board pieces that can be used to create maps for other miniatures games. I'll be using it to recreate the classic Ogre game map for use with Mechwarrior miniatures (another collectible game that's still heavily discounted, but slowly getting harder to find). The game is amply supported with gamers providing new playtested figures/statistics from HeroClix, HorrorClix, Mage Knight, and other miniatures sources. The rules allow pitting characters from fantasy, horror, scifi, and historical settings against one another. I'd recommend picking this up before prices go up too much (the original Valkyrie master set I bought for $35 is now going for over $100 today.

Zombie State is sort of a horror version of Pandemic, but gameplay isn't cooperative.

Don't forget to look at the BGG horror category. Sorting by Rank lists the games in order of ratings.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1024/horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
I would second the nomination for Hecatomb. It is out of print and therefore no longer being expanded. There is the base set and two expansions. Here in the US I can buy a whole box of boosters for under $10. The cards are pentagon in shape and made of plastic so you can not destroy them easily and spills are easy to clean up. The theme of horror is well represented and the mechanics are solid.

Zombie Survival: The Board Game is a fun game where you and up to 3 other players stock up a house full of necessary supplies and weapons and try to outlast your neighbor during a zombie apocalypse! Solo variant in the rules is really fun too!

Another out of print card game that might be easy to acquire, but with a fantasy theme, is Corunea. In my opinion a very deep card game that can feel very complex when you first start playing it. I think this complexity makes the game replay value stronger and very unique among card games.

Regarding the theme of cyberpunk, an out of print card game that is very cheap here in the US is Cyberpunk: The Collectible Card Game.

A card driven board game with a horror theme is The HellGame. Somewhat controversial due to the theme but with a unique and bold theme with some amazing artwork on the cards, albeit a very dark kind of artwork.

Another very good board game with a vampire based theme is Fury of Dracula (second edition) produced by Fantasy Flight Games.

I do not know about availability or pricing in Australia, but I do wish you the best of luck in finding a good game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.