Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Waterloo 20» Forums » Rules

Subject: cavalry counterattack + advance then in ezoc of a withdrawing enemy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

A situation came up yesterday:

I have a cavalry unit in a town. the town is under attack from the enemy. 2 British units move next to the town, aiming to attack my cavalry.

I decide to countercharge, choosing the weakest unit and doubling my attack. The unit withdraws and I am obliged to advance (since I'm cavalry). This means that I am now once again in the ezoc of the unit that just withdrew from combat during my reaction phase.

The question is: is that unit allowed to attack me?

I didn't find anything in the rules saying you can't. But then again, I also didn't find confirmation...

There is this other rule that claims you can only fight 1x per turn...

We played that other units (I was in yet 1 ezoc) were allowed to attack me...but not the unit that just withdrew...

But I'm nowhere near certain of this...

Any rulings/opinions?

Thanks in advance...arrrh

BTW: we had a great game that was pitched at 1 morale each and then anticlimaxed as I drew a 'threatening weather' effectively cancelling my turn so my opponent routed a unit (making me loose my last morale since the unit routed 3 hexes and its move was only 2).

Lost because of a tiny spot of rain...cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom

Lance(Series Developer) is busy at Consim Expo so I'll answer for you.

Yes that unit would still attack your cav unit since the cav is in it's ZoC(rules of combat that every unit in a EZoC must be attack).

This is one of the penalties you must risk if making a Countercharge-Not routing the enemy far enough away plus advancing deeper into the enemy line that you don't make enough of a gain. Countercharging can payt big dividends but also has some huge risk

Yes there is that rule for 1 unit per combat phase may "Attack". BUT, that original attacking unit hadn't attacked yet(only advanced next to them intending to attack)And then the defending cavalry unit launched a countercharge thereby making them the attacker and the original attacker now a defender.In the combat Phase they again become the attacker and finally get to attack. The key word is "Attack" for the One unit per combat phase,

Did that even make sense for you?
(It's easier for me knowing it then writing it out trying to make sure another knows it correctly-Lance is the silver tongue speaker of the group! Oh now that sounds sort of kinky!!)

Kim Meints
(Napoleonic20 Designer and Playtester)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kim,

thanks for the response.

It makes sense, but it would also make sense to argue the other way round

Thanks for the official ruling...we will stick to it.

great game BTW

Regards,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To "officially" close the loop, Kim's correct -- your opponent can (indeed, must) attack you.

Thanks for covering for me, Kim.

- Lance McMillan
Developer, VPG's 'Napoleonic 20' Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas E. Gebhardt
Germany
Birkenwerder
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverwings wrote:
Hi Kim,

thanks for the response.

It makes sense, but it would also make sense to argue the other way round

Thanks for the official ruling...we will stick to it.

great game BTW

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

I'm not the designer nor such close to him like Kim is whistle, BUT I still have Lance's explaination in my ear when he ALWAYS points out
COUNTERCHARGE is PART OF THE MOVEMENT PHASE, NOT of the attack phase! Since then I do remember WHY Kim told you correct!

Andy (521tiger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.