Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Combat Commander: Battle Pack #4 – New Guinea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rebuke at Rabi rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The bridge on Map G "does not exist", so by rule the bridge hexes become stream hexes. But are they then Level 0 or Level 1? This looks like it will be an important part of the map.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
By rule, the elevation of a hex is the elevation of the center dot. (T89.3.1). Looking at the map:


The center dots are on Level 1 - so the hexes are Level 1 hexes. This does have the interesting effect that moving from I5 to J5 or vice versa) is 3 MP (not +1 MP for moving uphill) as one is moving from a Level 1 hex to a Level 1 hex. So in effect, the stream is flowing up and over the "hill" in I5 and J5.

I don't have the SSR in front of me, but I would not assume a road between crossing I5 to J5 based on the statement "the bridge does not exist".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about moving from I5 to I6?
That's the one that really fries my noodle.

Does it cost 6, because you're "crossing the stream" (sounds like a Ghostbusters quote) AND you're entering a jungle hex?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
How about moving from I5 to I6?
That's the one that really fries my noodle.

Does it cost 6, because you're "crossing the stream" (sounds like a Ghostbusters quote) AND you're entering a jungle hex?

I would say so, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
weishaupt wrote:
How about moving from I5 to I6?
.....Does it cost 6, because you're "crossing the stream" AND you're entering a jungle hex?


T81.2 - You pay costs to move into a hex. So if you are in I5 and moving into I6 - you only pay the cost of I6 (that is the cost of jungle or 3). The cost of the stream was paid as you entered I5.

So, no, it only costs 3.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, pardoed again!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
How about moving from I5 to I6?
.....Does it cost 6, because you're "crossing the stream" AND you're entering a jungle hex?


T81.2 - You pay costs to move into a hex. So if you are in I5 and moving into I6 - you only pay the cost of I6 (that is the cost of jungle or 3). The cost of the stream was paid as you entered I5.

So, no, it only costs 3.


So I5 is a stream hex.
This means that you can't fire a weapon while standing on the bluff in I5 -- despite the hex BEING at elevation 1 (because of where the dot it placed).

This doesn't make sense to me.
(Or maybe I just need to eat something.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
So I5 is a stream hex.
This means that you can't fire a weapon while standing on the bluff in I5 -- despite the hex BEING at elevation 1 (because of where the dot it placed).

This doesn't make sense to me.
(Or maybe I just need to eat something.)

A bit weird, but I think you're right Francis. surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, well, I'm okay with abstractions, but this "you're up there... but standing in the stream" business is driving me nuts.

surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pretend there are some small streams that become a waterfall going into the larger stream.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
As I said in my earlier response:

RPardoe wrote:
So in effect, the stream is flowing up and over the "hill" in I5 and J5.


weishaupt wrote:
So I5 is a stream hex.

Yep....normally, the bridge has terrain hierarchy. By SSR, we ignore the bridge, so the next terrain type to have hierarchy is the stream. Ergo, the hex is a stream. Same abstraction, result, etc for J5 as well.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No big deal, but I don't recall ever encountering such a lack of elegance in any incarnation of Combat Commander.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
weishaupt wrote:
encountering such a lack of elegance


I am truly curious what you find inelegant? The hex (without the bridge) is a level 1 stream hex and works within the rules set without the need for any additional contrivances or special rules. That seems to be rather elegant (and consistent with the rest of CC) to me.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
encountering such a lack of elegance


I am truly curious what you find inelegant? The hex (without the bridge) is a level 1 stream hex and works within the rules set without the need for any additional contrivances or special rules. That seems to be rather elegant (and consistent with the rest of CC) to me.


Well, the necessity of a thread like this one to clarify matters, for one thing.

And yes, it's a level 1 stream hex (even though the stream is actually at level 0, but I digress) that, as you point out, works within the rules. But it's so counter-intuitive that we needed to spend time digging the proper workings of this situation out of the rulebook.
(In all honesty, YOU did all the grunt work, and magnificently so.
Thanks a lot for this!)

I would have liked a line or two of clarifications in the special scenario rules, just to make sure I was playing those hexes right.

And yes, I think "lack of elegance" describes it well.
The worst quibble over a CC map that I recall seeing concerned some unclear LOS.
This is in an entirely different category.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Thank you for the explanation, and glad I could help out just a little bit making the situation a bit clearer then.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Thank you for the explanation, and glad I could help out just a little bit making the situation a bit clearer then.


You always do that, Richard, and we're all the better for it.
Thanks again!

(Now, Jaels and I had one HELL of a game last night, even though we played those bridgeless hexes wrong. I guess we'll just have to give the scenario another shot!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.