Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Hello:
I downloaded the iphone version of the game the other day and started playing. I noticed some spaces do not allow you to expand as they are blocked with the cross sign. Why is that? I thought as long as the tiles are placed in a way that makes sense, you can place them anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
The cross signs just mark spaces where your tile will not fit legally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crosses marks spots where there is no remaining tile that can fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Luis is correct, my memory was off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
uh huh! So each tile being placed, the programme does take into the account of remaining tiles that goes onto the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
lolcese wrote:

I'm still not sure how I feel about this feature. Normally players don't have the memory of the tiles such that they would know this and play accordingly. Similarly, it bugs me when the computer specifically plays to block you using this sort of knowledge, which a normal player wouldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
lolcese wrote:

I'm still not sure how I feel about this feature. Normally players don't have the memory of the tiles such that they would know this and play accordingly. Similarly, it bugs me when the computer specifically plays to block you using this sort of knowledge, which a normal player wouldn't have.

Exactly how I feel. Then I'd assume that the hard copy is still better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
lolcese wrote:

The iPod version does give all players access to a list of remaining tiles (although not in the order they'll be drawn, of course). While it's not the same as the board game, it is at least equal for all players.

I have definitely noticed that, as I play more, I learn the distribution of tiles. That gives me an advantage which I'm not sure is entirely fair either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
lolcese wrote:

Exactly how I feel. Then I'd assume that the hard copy is still better.

Agree, it would be really nice to be able to turn this off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
Similarly, it bugs me when the computer specifically plays to block you using this sort of knowledge, which a normal player wouldn't have.

Does it? I haven't played it much recently but I don't recall ever noticing it doing so. Granted I play very aggressively, so maybe I don't notice minor aggression.

As for the Xs they'll just help you know when to give up on a city, they won't tell you what you need to do to kill a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
As for the Xs they'll just help you know when to give up on a city, they won't tell you what you need to do to kill a city.
If you place a tile in a potential location that would kill a city (or road, or cloister...) I believe an "X" will show up in all spots that can no longer be placed, even before you finalize the placement of the piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:
If you place a tile in a potential location that would kill a city (or road, or cloister...) I believe an "X" will show up in all spots that can no longer be placed, even before you finalize the placement of the piece.

You all should see the last turn of the game. There are 'X's practically all around the board. Then when the last tile is placed, the 'X's remain, encircling the version of Carcassonne you and the other players made, as if it weren't anymore obvious that you can't place tiles that aren't left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree that it would be nice to turn the X feature off. However, it does allow you to balance the game between experienced players who know with a fair deal of certainty what is left in the bag and new players who have no idea what tiles are even in the set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xKoBiEx wrote:
I do agree that it would be nice to turn the X feature off. However, it does allow you to balance the game between experienced players who know with a fair deal of certainty what is left in the bag and new players who have no idea what tiles are even in the set.
Not to mention games vs the computers. I've seen the most difficult AI levels exploit their knowledge of what tiles are remaining to create "dead spots".

Push come to shove, the remaining tiles are public knowledge, so may as well mark with the 'X's where the spots are dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.