Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go back and forth on this. I do find it enjoyable, but there's a ton of overhead and it's much more difficult to manage than 2+ (and even the androids for 2p and 3p are kind of a kludge).

Sorry, not much of an answer, but I think this one is hard to answer. I don't think there's any doubt that the vast majority of people prefer this 4p and 5p, but it's an acquired taste with fewer than that, and especially solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays a lot different.
You don't have all the chaos and uncertainty you have when playing in a group. Now, it's only optimizing. Though still not easy, it plays as a different game altogether. The thrill is gone.
As I am a great fan of Space Alert (group version), I would not recommend this solo, tried it once and will never do it again.
Wait for yor game group to return. Feel the joy buidlng up when they arrive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
What makes Space Alert great is a group of 4 or (even better) 5 players.
Not much sense to play it solo, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

Not much sense to play it solo, unfortunately.

Unless you've got the expansion. Then there's an achievement for playing solo.

But seriously, I'll play the solo game from time to time, and it doesn't feel like a total waste, but it's not quite the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The right type of person can enjoy this solo. I do... If you have ever played other games solo that you are not supposed to (and enjoyed it), you can play this one.

I think you want to have played the 4p version first... but maybe not

Think of it as a timed space puzzle. It's hard. I make mistakes, the ship blows up a lot. But it is strangely satisfying when you do it right.

Be true to the rules, don't fix errors (even simple or obvious ones) during resolution phase, and watch the carnage your one slip inflicts on the poor crew.

When the slime appeared at T-2, I had to really think about how I was going to beat it. Spent over a minute trying to get one guy down there with bots before it slimed the bots. I screwed it up anyway. If you fix your mistakes during resolution, you won't want to play over and over again to get it right for real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game solo a couple of times, but I enjoyed it when I did. The game is at its best with more people, but single player is great too as long as you recognise it's limitations.

The soul of the multiplayer game is in the communication between the players as the crisis unfolds. In single player that conversation is in your head, and it can get every bit as lively as it would around the game table. The analytical part of you wants to take the time to find the best solution. Your action centers tell you there's no time for that, and that you need to come up with something quick so you can deal with the other threats that keep popping up. Other people have mentioned how it turns into a timed puzzle, that doesn't change the fact that your heart is racing as you frantically try to find ways to save your besieged ship before it gets overwhelmed. And in the end...it all rests on you, because there isn't anyone else there to help come up with a better plan. (Noone else there to screw things up either, it's an even trade.)

So I guess it depends on what style of play works for you. I love the social aspects of a good cooperative game like Space Alert, but it's still great even if there's noone else available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.