Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we were playing a double-power game, and bumped into this combo. We could not find a reason it wouldn't work so we immediately ruled that it was TOO broken, even for Cosmic.
Basically, as SnivelerSeeker, you ask: "When I activate Trickter's power, will you choose my left hand?", since they are then bound by their answer, as Trickster, you hide the token in whichever hand will make you win. The timings work out, and there's nothing in Sniveler that prevents you from asking that question.

So, does this actually work? Is it as broken as we thought? Not being able to lose encounters unless zapped would be pretty hard to play against, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sniveler/Trickster, a request for a Sniveler clarification.
I expect you mean Seeker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Trickster loses to Seeker whenever he chooses his alternate option. He can still play the encounter out like normal. It's a bit rough for Seeker, but not broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
It's equally as bad with Seeker versus Trickster. Are you going to place the token in your left hand? Trickster is bound by his answer. Trickster would then just play the encounter normally and forget about his power.

The combination of Trickster and Seeker does guarantee that the player will never lose, which isn't fun, but it doesn't guarantee that they will win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: ninjaninja'd.

Yes, Trickster-Seeker sounds like a broken combo that should be on your house-rules list of forbdden combos. (Same issue with Trickster-Negator.)

From the other perspective, Seeker completely nullifies Trickster when they are played by different players and Seeker is the offense: "Are you going to use your power to place the token in your left hand?"

It's a good thing Trickster can go first when he's the offense, or this would probably qualify for a Do Not Use with Seeker tramp-stamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, yeah I meant Seeker.
Hmm, yeah, I guess it's not TOTALLY broken, but it's definitely on the non-fun ban-list, along with Clone Wild (we just hate, hate, hate, playing against it).
On a side note Seeker/Sniveler is pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerAspect wrote:
Clone Wild (we just hate, hate, hate, playing against it).

Then you're gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE playing against Mesmer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
tigerAspect wrote:
Clone Wild (we just hate, hate, hate, playing against it).

Then you're gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE playing against Mesmer.

I don't see why, Mesmer's limited by having to actually have Artifacts in hand, it's the specific case of having a once-per-turn Card Zap that really gets our goat. It's not actually game-breaking, it just irritates us no end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.