Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished off Wednesday evenings Isleworth Boardgamers session with a couple of games of Race for the Galaxy against Scott.

In the first game I had Aquatic Uplift Road, Uplift Gene Designers, and the Uplift Goal was on the table, so New Sparta was an obvious homeworld and I went straight into Trade Produce, picking up Uplift Code. Meanwhile Scott had Galactic Developers and was busy developing away- in turn 3 Uplift Code and Galactic Power Brokers collided, keeping the Prestige even. I had meanwhile Settled Former Penal Colony.
By the time I settled the Gene Designers (claiming thegoal) and Produced, Scott had gained2 Prestige from Pan-Galactic Security Council (settle and consume). He now had a prestige recycling run of spend a prestige for 3 cards from GPB and then discard 2 cards for a prestige on PGSC. We decided this meant he was continually “gaining” a Prestige and so getting a card for it.

Despite this neat trick, Scott was mainly churning out cheap developments while I settled Blaster Gem Runners, developed Drop Shops, and settled Alien Battlefleet. My military power settled a couple of high scoring worlds (Rebel Home World, Alien Sentinel), before Scott’s expanding tableau ended the game. I was able to develop Alien Tech Institute on the last turn and the result was a comfortable Scott 39 Me 52

The second game saw my opening hand contain Alien Rosetta Stone World and Deserted Alien Outpost. With Alien Research Team as a home world and the Alien goal on the table I immediately went into Alien strategy with Explore settle, only to be distracted during Explore by Colony Ship and Imperium Blaster Gem Consortium. As Scott had called Explore-Develop I was able to Settle the IBGC before returning to the Aliens.

I think Scott was playing Old Earth, but he seemed to be still in Galactic Developers mode, calling Explore Develop for the first 5 or 6 turns of the game! He did manage to claim the “one power in each phase” goal on turn 1, which was impressive! My tableau developed slower than his but with an emphasis on quantity as Alien Rosetta StoneWorld and Alien Uplift Centre (which I discarded the Outpost to pay for) made their appearance and I began a trade cycle with the benefit of IBGC’s 2 cards and 1 vp.

Scott had developed various things such asPan-Galactic Mediator, Terraforming Engineers Interstellar Bank and Galactic Markets- I also developed Galactic Markets, and then Pan-Galactic Affluence, which put me ahead in the prestige stakes. Again Scott’s expanding tableau ended the game a bit earlier than I would have preferred, but I was able to play Alien Data Repository on the final turn, and the result was an eerily similar Scott 39 Me 49.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
He now had a prestige recycling run of spend a prestige for 3 cards from GPB and then discard 2 cards for a prestige on PGSC. We decided this meant he was continually “gaining” a Prestige and so getting a card for it.
Yes, I agree, a neat trick. Prestige Leader is only checked between phases, so even if he was temporarily tied with you, he would not lose the tile so would get the prestige point on his tile, so gets the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:
He now had a prestige recycling run of spend a prestige for 3 cards from GPB and then discard 2 cards for a prestige on PGSC. We decided this meant he was continually “gaining” a Prestige and so getting a card for it.
Yes, I agree, a neat trick. Prestige Leader is only checked between phases, so even if he was temporarily tied with you, he would not lose the tile so would get the prestige point on his tile, so gets the card.
No and yes.

If the Prestige Leader spends prestige so that he is tied with (or has less than) another player, he immediately loses the tile. If he later in the phase gains prestige again (like in this case) so that he his the sole leader at the end of the phase, he reclaims the tile, with any prestige he just gained on it.

So it is incorrect that he would not lose the tile, but it is correct that he would still gain one card at the beginning of every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I get for not checking the book first.

But surely if you lose Prestige Lead tile then you don't get the prestige point on the tile and so you don't get the card (just the VP)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you gained the prestige lead during consume, you put the prestige on the tile. If you have prestige on the tile at the beginning of turn, you draw a card and get a vp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
If you gained the prestige lead during consume, you put the prestige on the tile. If you have prestige on the tile at the beginning of turn, you draw a card and get a vp.
Maybe I am being dense.

Scott used Galactic Power Brokers, spending the Prestige Point and gaining 3 cards. During expenditure if you are no longer Prestige Leader, the tile goes to the middle.

He then uses Pan-Galactic Security Council to exchange cards for a Prestige Point.

At the end of Consume, he has the Prestige Lead again and regains the tile. But he does not gain any Prestige after regaining the tile so doesn't get the card.

At least that is how I understand it to work, I would be happy to be corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
entranced wrote:
Maybe I am being dense.

Scott used Galactic Power Brokers, spending the Prestige Point and gaining 3 cards. During expenditure if you are no longer Prestige Leader, the tile goes to the middle.

He then uses Pan-Galactic Security Council to exchange cards for a Prestige Point.

At the end of Consume, he has the Prestige Lead again and regains the tile. But he does not gain any Prestige after regaining the tile so doesn't get the card.

At least that is how I understand it to work, I would be happy to be corrected.

When you gain Prestige causing you to get the tile, you put the Prestige on the tile. You don't need to get any additional Prestige "after" gaining the tile. One is enough, as in the classic example where a player plays a card which gives him a Prestige at the start of the game- he gets Prestige leader tile and the Prestige goes on top of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulebook pg 3 wrote:
Prestige Leader. Check prestige at the end of each phase. If one player has more prestige than anyone else, then he takes the Prestige Leader tile, “>” side face up, and places it in front of him (returning any prestige on it to its previous holder), placing any (unspent) prestige he earned that phase on top of it. Whenever a sole Prestige Leader earns prestige, put those chips on top of the Prestige Leader tile.
(highlight mine)

Silly me thought prestige was checked whenever it was gained or spent instead of end of phase. Not sure how much difference that makes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I have been playing that wrong all along.

er, sorry about derailing your session report, Phillip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls