Subject: Keeping Airlines With Less Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Oakes

West Jordan
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game at least 15 times at work and most days we have played with either 5 or 6 players, but a few times we have had only 4. In these cases we proceeded to set everything up as normal and played our game. When I got my own personal copy of the game today I realized after skimming the rules again that we needed to remove the Air Amigos (yellow) airline from the game. If playing with 3 or 2 you would continue to remove more airlines from the game.

What I suggest as an alternate way to play is to not remove any airlines regardless of how many players you have. I understand that removing the airlines with less players would help keep the game at similar time of play and keep the scores closer to games with more players, but I have a hard time throwing them out. I feel like part of the game is missing if I don't use all the airlines. I am willing to try taking out the airlines as specified in the rules, but I think I might enjoy it better with them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems like a standard scaling mechanism that many Euros use; using less resources / player pieces / money / board space with less players. Usually to scale the tension, balance, predictability, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with removed airlines in a 3p game, we still end up with one or two companies mostly ignored throughout the game. That would be even worse with more airlines, and adding in those airlines into the stock deck would make things unreasonably chaotic.

I think they should be removed, but also some corresponding routes should be removed to completely "scale" the game appropriately. I don't know which routes though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Oakes

West Jordan
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have now played two times with only 4 players and I took out the yellow airline. The scores were still pretty high but it feels like the scoring cards come up a lot faster than in games with 5 players with all the airlines. Sometimes it feels a little too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game with fewer players is gonna feel faster because it's just a quicker flow with fewer people thinking, but also, of course, you are seeding the scoring cards into a smaller deck. If everyone's able to buy licenses fairly often, it should go a little faster. I wouldn't view that as a bad thing though - more time to play more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We played our first game of 2-player with all airlines removed that are to be removed. Game went way too fast for us. Played our 2nd game with 4 and left it all in. We felt it was fine. We never scaled for UP and see no reason to do so here either (unless we really really want a fast game).

With a 2-player, you are taking out 40% of the deck.

To me, all the extra set up (removing airlines and money from the bank) is just a waste of time. It is counterproductive to the streamlining introduced in this version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.