Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Why I will not play a war game today - R.I.P. Staff Sgt. Ergin Osman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of war games. In fact, a day rarely passes that I don't play at least a turn of a PBEM game on Vassal, or solo something on the table, or at least read a rulebook of a game I hope to play some day. I am a bit obsessed with them, it seems, even though I've never been a soldier or anywhere near a war. At the risk of sounding corny, war doesn't seem like something I want to make a game of today.

For the first time in my life, I learned that someone I once knew, personally, was killed in action. His name was Ergin Osman, he was a Staff Sergent with the 101st Airborne Brigade. A roadside bomb killed him and five other soldiers near Kandahar, on May 26th.

I want to be clear, Ergin and I were not close friends. I knew him in the early 90's, when I worked at a boarding school he attended for a year or so. We got along great, I liked him a lot, but when he left school we never saw each other again. The only time I think about him is when our one mutual friend gets in touch with me every few years and we reminisce. I doubt Ergin spent much time thinking about me either, unless he and Joey were doing the same every now and again. Still, he really was a good kid, I did like him.

Although he was having a hard time when I knew him, he was a kid who made friends and shared loyalty with them. I'm not surprised to hear he became a non-com in the Army, or that he served in the Marines for 10 years before joining the 101st. He was a tough kid, in a good way, when I knew him. Tough and stubborn too, but I think you've probably got to be that way to make it in those outfits. I expect that as he got older, and served his country, "stubborn" became things like "dedicated," "committed," and "reliable." That's often what happens if you give a stubborn kid half a chance.

So although I'm not personally in a lot of pain, it is sad to hear about this. And of course, the real tragedy; Ergin was married with two sons. Thinking about that makes me want to weep.

I don't think there's anything morally wrong with playing war games. Tomorrow I'll be back to it, and the next day and the next. And if I'm lucky, while I play I'll think a little bit about Ergin or the other soldiers and sailors and airmen and marines who are fighting.

But not today. In memory of Staff Sargent Ergin Osman, as a small token to hopefully honor the sacrifice he made, just for today I will not make war a game. May you rest in peace Ergin. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and the men in your unit tonight. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SSG Ergin Osman
A better man than I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What a "befitting tribute" and delivered eloquently as their eulogy to 'boot'! Now, I didn't personally KNOW this individual, while 'moi' shall preface with stating that I KNOW of others akin in demeanor as this same kindred 'spirit', and for whom I heap greatest 'regards' upon their behalf. Our sincere condolences to his family and friends for whom WE commiserate amongst upon this occasion, and rest peacefully throughout eternity as we commit to remembrances on your ultimate sacrifice, dearest soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
A verythoughtful eulogy. Respectful, sincere and heartfelt. Thank-you for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
By lack of some I-take-my-hat-off-in-respect emoticon, here's thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
ParaBoxerX wrote:
May he rest in peace for sacrificing his life for his country.
My thoughts and prayers also go out to Ergin, his family, his friends and to the other families in the US who have lost loved ones. Unfortunately, Ergin did not sacrifice his life for his country, although I am sure he was doing what he believed was the right thing to do for his country and family. Sgt Osman's life was sacrificed by the global ruling elite psychopaths who are using the good soldiers of America to further their agenda for greed, power and one-world government. In fact one of the higher echelons of the shadow government responsible for Ergin's death are meeting this week in Bilderberg Switzerland, the same week as Ergin lost his life. Unless we all wake up to what really is happening then more and more soldiers and civilians are going to continue to die needlessly to satisfy the cravings of a few. It's time to honor the life of Ergin and other slain soldiers not by reiterating mistaken cliches but by taking our heads out of the sand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do some people insist on making political statements when others are simply trying to remember and honor a fallen soldier. It's just damn disrespectful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
ParaBoxerX wrote:
My thoughts and prayers also go out to Ergin, his family, his friends and to the other families in the US who have lost loved ones. Unfortunately, Ergin did not sacrifice his life for his country, although I am sure he was doing what he believed was the right thing to do for his country and family. Sgt Osman's life was sacrificed by the global ruling elite psychopaths who are using the good soldiers of America to further their agenda for greed, power and one-world government. In fact one of the higher echelons of the shadow government responsible for Ergin's death are meeting this week in Bilderberg Switzerland, the same week as Ergin lost his life. Unless we all wake up to what really is happening then more and more soldiers and civilians are going to continue to die needlessly to satisfy the cravings of a few. It's time to honor the life of Ergin and other slain soldiers not by reiterating mistaken cliches but by taking our heads out of the sand.

Isn't that quite the display of douchebaggery that you have given us. This was not the place for that comment. Truly shameful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talon Amores
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
ParaBoxerX wrote:
blah blah blah conspiracy theories oil power government is bad.

You don't get out much do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParaBoxerX wrote:
SimGuy wrote:
SSG Ergin Osman
A better man than I.

Do you know him personally?

I wish I had. I have worked with many of the troops of the 101st, it's possible I may have met him, but it's a big division, and if I had, I can't recall for certain. But I certainly knew some of his brothers in arms, and they were (and are) all fine men and women, any of whom I would be proud to know better.
It's humbling to me to think that there are people like that willing to stand between my family and our nation's enemies. A little bit of the best of America is lost whenever we lose one of them, or their fellow soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
...not by reiterating mistaken cliches but by taking our heads out of the sand.

I know where you can stick your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
May we get the enduring freedom he operated to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

My own practice happens to be the opposite but it comes from the same desire to honor. I will honor his sacrifice by carrying on with both my work and my pasttimes. I will do so while at the same time recognizing that it is sacrifices like his that allow me to do so.

Regardless of how I do things, I wholeheartedly support your gesture for SSG Osman. As a Soldier myself, I can not do otherwise.

Paul B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
Chris,

My own practice happens to be the opposite but it comes from the same desire to honor. I will honor his sacrifice by carrying on with both my work and my pasttimes. I will do so while at the same time recognizing that it is sacrifices like his that allow me to do so.

Regardless of how I do things, I wholeheartedly support your gesture for SSG Osman. As a Soldier myself, I can not do otherwise.

Paul B

Well said Paul. Thanks. And to all of you who posted, thanks as well.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well written, Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.