badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP Ironman
ASLSK
S25 Early Battles
After Action Report (by Dan Cunningham)

Dan Cunningham vs. Mike Sullivan

Played via VASL.

Dan Cunningham - Russian (defenders), Mike Sullivan - German (attackers)

Defensive setup
I setup a (mostly) forward defense with the infantry, and kept the tanks and gun toward the rear. I placed two first line squads and a LMG in the west clump of woods. In the central clump I placed the 7-0 leader, two conscripts and a first line squad with an ATR In the east clump, three first line squads with an ATR and 8-0 leader. And finally toward the rear, a HS with the MTR, another first line squad with a LMG and a first line squad with the MMG up on hill in rear. I placed the KV-2 with an eye south between the woods and another eye south east along the road. The BT-7 M37 sat edged up along the east side of the board eying up the east flank. Finally, the INF gun is placed to the rear in the grain between the victory buildings.

Turn 1
The Germans start with the tanks and a healthy dose of smoke laying cover for the incoming squads and threatening the rear of the front Russian squads. In the central woods defensive fire is able to break the German 8-1 leader and accompanying MMG squad, along with another German squad. Advancing fire returns the damage to the Russian first line squad with the ATR and a conscript (both also in the central woods). A melee begins in the western woods, both sides unable to find each other between the trees.

Turn 2

The Germans continue to lead with their armor (for the most part). They are able to trap the Russians in the central woods. They also pressure the rear-guarding MTR and LMG squads. The infantry is able to jump on the ATR squad in the east, creating a second melee. The Germans also pile into the melee in the west.

During the Russian half of the turn, the BT-7 M37 in the east is able to immobilize a Pz IIF (20L) in FF2, which in turn manages to eliminate the BT-7. Down the middle, the KV-2 eliminates a Pz IVD (75*). The Russians are able to create a 7-0 leader in the west melee, saving them from elimination and tipping that confrontation against the Germans. In the east melee, both sides dance harmlessly around in the trees.

Turn 3
The Germans advance their Pz 35(t)s (37) north along the road between the woods and hill to the west of the main clump of victory buildings, and line their Pz IIFs (20L) along the east corridor. The MMG on the hill (vI8) adjacent to a Pz 35(t) hits the tank three times with ROF, but is unable to do any damage. The Russian INF gun pops up and shocks the leading German Pz 35(t), then turns and toward the 20Ls on the east. The Germans pile into the east melee.

In the Russian half of the turn the lead Pz 35(t) recovers from his shock. The INF gun is able to immobilize the second Pz IIF on the east edge, and the other Pz IIF manages to break its MA. The Russian MMG shifts over to vL7, and two squads and the 8-0 leader stack into vL9. Another Russian squad is waiting in vN9. The Russian KV-2 moves up on hill in vG9, aiming at the rear of the Pz 35(t)s and east along the gap between the victory buildings. Russian INF gun crew is broken by German defensive fire, and the Russian middle is decimated. The Russians win melee in west, and Germans win the melee in the east.

Turn 4

The Germans prep fire from the lead Pz 35(t), and from their immobilized Pz IIFs, breaking the Russian squad in vN9, and re-DM-ing the INF gun crew and the squad in vL9. They advance their infantry up through the woods but are pinned in vL10 and vN10, though one squad does double time to make it up to vQ8. The second Pz 35(t) attempts to start and is eliminated by the KV-2. The remaining German Pz IVD then drives up to the rear of the KV-2; however it forgets to pack any HEAT or AP ammo for the drive, and its bounding fire shot is ineffective against the rear of the KV-2. Finally, the Germans run an elite squad with a DC and an 8-0 leader to vG10 adjacent to the KV-2. At which point the leader pins (fails his PAATC), and watches as the squad is unable to eliminate the KV-2 in CC.

The Russians then begin their half of turn 4 with a prep fire shot from the KV-2 at the remaining Pz 35(t). They again find AP and eliminate another German tank. With the additional immobilizations from the INF gun and BT-7 M37 along the east edge, that’s enough immobile and eliminated AFVs to score a Russian win.

It was an entertaining and enjoyable game against an excellent opponent. I felt like Mike had the upper hand throughout the battle, I was saved mostly by my KV-2’s ability to repeatedly find AP ammo!

Enjoy,
Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looked like Mike had the advantage. Props to you for coming out with a win!

Awesome scenario report. I liked the images, it was easy to follow what you were describing in the text. Next time, please say more about your thoughts before the battle, and in between turns!

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Novak
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR.

I played this scenario a year or two ago and had my hidden gun in the exact same place you did, though it was pointed in a different direction. I deployed forward too. Russian victory.

That KV may tip the balance a bit in favor of Russians in regards to scenario balance - its a powerful mofo!

EDIT: Correction. My gun was pointed in exactly the same direction too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.