Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Rules

Subject: Santon taken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Santon optional rule is in effect.

If Santon is taken. Can the new owner stay in the reserve yet inflict approach terrain penalties upon any attackers?

I have this doubt because the rule says ("If French fixed battery is set up in the Santon, the following special rules apply"). It seems to imply that the fixed artillery has something to do with difficulty in attacking Santon, even when it isn't named a defending unit.

On the other hand, if that rule is a simulation the difficulty of attacking Santon, new owners probably should be granted that advantage too. If so, this advantage should be in effect when Santon special rule is, instead of requiring French fixed battery to be assigned here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The special rules apply only to the French fixed battery. The hill was too steep for artillery to get up to the top in the normal way. The French historically used the days before the battle to pull artillery up it with ropes, not a practical method of moving artillery during a battle. If the French fixed battery is not there, then the normal terrain rules apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My question is: can the new (non-artillery) owner stay in reserve yet make any attacker pay the approach penalty. A previous clarification made it clear that even non-artillery defenders in the reserve would inflict approach penalty. Here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/392376/defending-the-santon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry — my answer wasn't very good. This rule:

"Approach penalties apply to attacks
into the locale even when the defending
pieces are in reserve."

applies only if the French fixed battery was deployed on the Santon AND IS STILL THERE. If it is eliminated, this rule no longer applies. This point is not as clear as it should be in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Page
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only taken the santon gun out 1 time in 80 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.