Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My gut feeling tells me that the starting player has an advantage in this game. Any thoughts on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see there being a second player advantage as well. The first player would always have to make at least one more move than the second player to win, while the second player would just have to make an equal number of moves to win. Also the second player would be the first player to attempt to block a "split" stack from moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Rotta
Italy
Genova
GE
flag msg tools
designer
Hi, I am the author. To avoid the advantage of the first player I thought this (maybe not in the rules is written): The first player places both towers, the second player chooses its own tower.

I apologize for my bad English...

Francesco

p.s. I do not ever come on BGG. If you have any questions please write to francescorottaATgmailDOTcom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco Rotta wrote:
p.s. I do not ever come on BGG. If you have any questions please write to francescorottaATgmailDOTcom

You can set your BGG account to forward geekmails to your email address, so you'll know if you get a geekmail here even if you never visit the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Francesco Rotta wrote:
Hi, I am the author. To avoid the advantage of the first player I thought this (maybe not in the rules is written): The first player places both towers, the second player chooses its own tower.

I apologize for my bad English...

Francesco

Any ideas for something similar for 3 or 4 person game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
senator hung
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
have played this a few times on boardgamearena now

the starting player definitely has an advantage on a 'tricky' board, that is one that is narrow or winding with lots of easy roadblocks. on a more 'compact' board, the first player advantage is downgraded, but still there.

thus, how you build the board becomes part of the battle. the more complex the board, the more simple the tactics. the more simple the board, the more complex the tactics.

in 3 or 4 player games, the first player advantage is alleviated somewhat as there are usually more escape routes available. first player can even become a disadvantage if they pick what would be a 'perfect' starting position for a 2player matchup and end up getting hedged in by all 3 following players.

so, with new players on bga, i always try to have a rematch where the first player position gets swapped so that the new players can see the advantages / disadvantages.

the designer has suggested that the 1st player could place both stacks and then have the 2d player pick which one they want.

something else that might work is that players would place their stacks in offset turn order (2p: 2,1; 3p: 3,1,2; 4p: 4,1,2,3), before reverting to the original playing order for gameplay. this way first player does not get the advantage of first placement AND first move. instead, the last player would get first placement. i'll be picking up a couple hardcopies of this next month and will see which of these ideas works better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The offset turn order can be a problem: the fourth player needs to be very, very careful in their stack placement, so that the other three players cannot shut them off right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is also quick enough, that one could play multiple games alternating starting player, and total all scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.