Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Richard!

I just got my copy of GKWW and it looks great so far.

I just read the rules and I guess you can help me with some rules questions:

A. ADVANCED COMBAT MECHANICS

1.) When making any type of attack, the attacker must ALWAYS use one of his combat cards, correct?

2.a.) MUST a defender use a combat card to defend against an attack, or can he decide to NOT use a card to defend?
2.b.) If he indeed can decide to not use a card for defending, how is such an attack resolved?

3.) If a defender has already used up all his combat cards(and/or his energy) for the round, how is an attack resolved against him?

4.) I guess attack cards/defend cards are revealed simultaneously at the same time, right?

5.a.) Can a defender use a card for defense against a RANGED attack?
5.b.) If a defender can NOT use a card for defense vs. a ranged attack, how is such an attack resolved?

6.) Can an Attacker use a RANGED attack against an enemy that is orthogonally adjacent (i.e. at range 1)?

7.) I guess the term "fire attack" (as in "Fire Attack Defenses") means the same as the term "ranged attack"?

8.) Both the defender AND the attacker can be damaged by a single attack, correct?

9.)The "Grappled" combat result reads "...Neither Kaiju can move into another space for the remainder of this turn". Does this rule really means TURN, and not ROUND?

B. CARDS/TILES

1.) Is there any limit on how many "Purchasable Cards" a player can purchase during a single turn?

2.) What purpose do the 1-story building cardboard TILES have?

C. MILITARY UNITS

1.) Military units move ONLY in reaction to the movement of the most destructive kaiju, correct?

2.) The movement/LOS check for military units is made after every SINGLE square the most destructive kaiju moves, right?

3.) One rule reads "...If a military unit has a choice between two towards directions for a single kaiju, it will move both-first one then the other". What does this rule mean?

Thanks for your effort!

Fred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred22 wrote:

C. MILITARY UNITS

1.) Military units move ONLY in reaction to the movement of the most destructive kaiju, correct?

2.) The movement/LOS check for military units is made after every SINGLE square the most destructive kaiju moves, right?

3.) One rule reads "...If a military unit has a choice between two towards directions for a single kaiju, it will move both-first one then the other". What does this rule mean?

Thanks for your effort!

Fred

I'd definitely like some clarification on how military units are supposed to behave as well. I think they add an awesome flavor to the game, but mechanically, I'm just not sure how to handle them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules, gave them A LOT of thought, played the game solo twice and, well, I'll give it a shot!

Fred22 wrote:
1.) When making any type of attack, the attacker must ALWAYS use one of his combat cards, correct?

I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Fred22 wrote:
2.a.) MUST a defender use a combat card to defend against an attack, or can he decide to NOT use a card to defend?
2.b.) If he indeed can decide to not use a card for defending, how is such an attack resolved?

3.) If a defender has already used up all his combat cards(and/or his energy) for the round, how is an attack resolved against him?

I assume that if the defender does not have defensive cards available s/he simply does not play one. Defensive cards don't seem 100% necessary; one could resolve an attack simply using the attacker's card, and without any effect coming from the defender against the attacker...

Fred22 wrote:
4.) I guess attack cards/defend cards are revealed simultaneously at the same time, right?

It makes sense that way.

Fred22 wrote:
5.b.) If a defender can NOT use a card for defense vs. a ranged attack, how is such an attack resolved?

Mr. Berg has answered this in another post. If ranged-attacked and adjacent the target can play a card OR use defense fire value [armor value in other words]. These values [if I understand correctly] are DRMs. Ranged from a distance, it seems to me that there is no possible reaction for the defender - only the armor / fire defense value is applied automatically.

5.b again, a card played by the defender does not seem necessary to resolve an attack. Matter of fact, the defender may have a card but not the energy to play it!

Fred22 wrote:
6.) Can an Attacker use a RANGED attack against an enemy that is orthogonally adjacent (i.e. at range 1)?

As diagonal non-ranged is not allowed, I don't see why diagonal ranged should.

Fred22 wrote:
7.) I guess the term "fire attack" (as in "Fire Attack Defenses") means the same as the term "ranged attack"?

I think it's the modifier for the die roll against the defender

Fred22 wrote:
8.) Both the defender AND the attacker can be damaged by a single attack, correct?

yes if grappled or if the defender inflicts damage too - depending on the icons (like in Gigan's 'Claws' card played defensively)

Fred22 wrote:
9.)The "Grappled" combat result reads "...Neither Kaiju can move into another space for the remainder of this turn". Does this rule really means TURN, and not ROUND?

that confuses me. I accept defeat here.

Fred22 wrote:
B. CARDS/TILES

1.) Is there any limit on how many "Purchasable Cards" a player can purchase during a single turn?

no rule about it, so I'd say no limitations per se. Still, you can have only 1 'power up' card at a time.

Fred22 wrote:

they save you plastic tiles!

Fred22 wrote:
C. MILITARY UNITS

that's what the manual says. The info card says after every move action of any Kaiju. I think the rulebook rule makes more sense - with the army concentrating efforts against the most immediate danger.

Fred22 wrote:

makes sense that way, so I'd say yes.

Fred22 wrote:

Thanks for your effort!

Fred

the way I read it, if a monster is placed diagonally some squares away from the military unit, then, since the unit can't move diagonally, will move first in one orthogonal direction, then the other. Example: the Kaiju is north-east of the unit, the unit moves east first and north next, or north first and east next - the result is the same.

Gee, I hope I didn't get too many of these wrong!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Word from the Gods . . . (hey, it;s a slow Sunday and dealing with lizards is a break)>

A. ADVANCED COMBAT MECHANICS

RHB: Yes

RHB: He must . . . altho he may use the Fire Defense Strength each Kaiju was supposed to have and I posted here somewhere, against any Ranged Fire Attack (even 1 square, if he doesn't want to use a crd).

RHB: See above.

RHB: You never spend energy to use a combat card in Defense (unless it is a special use of that card), and, in defense, you may always whatever card you want, repetitions allowed (This is probably an "adjustment" of the rule as written . . . card limit per Round applies only to Attacks.

RHB: Right. Revealing tghem simultaneously at different times takes more skill than I have . . .

RHB: Only against a 1 square range; see above . . .

RHB: The kaiju have Fire Defense Strengths: Ghidofah and Godzilla, -1; Rodan, 0; and Gigan -2.

RHB; Yeah, sure . . . I gtried to avoid diagonal stuff, but it should apply only to movement. Don't know why i did so; thought it would make it easier. i could say you can move diagonally at a cost of 2 Energy, but we sha;; se what the voc populi is . . .

RHB: Yup.

RHB: Usually are.

RHB: Hmmmmmm . . . not sure what i meant here, but let's go with Round.

B. CARDS/TILES

RHB: Let's say one per ROUND, no limit per Turn. That;ll allow the other kaiju to go after any others.

RHB: They actually serve as the tops of buildings.

C. MILITARY UNITS

RHB: Right.

RHB: Right

RHB: Ya got me. Just move the tankie towards the moving kaiju as best for the tank.

Any other q's, ask away . . .

rhb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one or more Kaiju are tied for most destructive do military units move at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
in defense, you may always whatever card you want, repetitions allowed (This is probably an "adjustment" of the rule as written . . . card limit per Round applies only to Attacks.

thank you for the clarification. Good to know about this adjustment because the rules as printed do say you can't repeat the use of combat cards in the same round, and combat cards seem to include also defense cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ioticus wrote:
If one or more Kaiju are tied for most destructive do military units move at all?

the way we played it, they go after everyone who has the highest number of destruction points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.