Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: why-direct-trading-is-hard [+] [View All]
Robert Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get tired of people not responding to trade offers.They will be offerd trades and won't have the curtesy to repond to someone who wants to make a trade. If you don't want the offer then why can't people at least give a response to the other person making the trade offer?
How many people have had this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain, I found out the hard way that there are quiet a lot of strange people here on BGG. The best option you have is to send potential trade partners a message first, instead of a trade offer. If they are not responding, at least your game won't be tied up in a trade request and you won't have to wait for 3 or 7 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I wanted to be a smarta$$ but opted not to. I guess I just don't let it worry me. Life happens. I try to respond but sometimes I get busy and pulled away and forget about responding back. Because that happens to me, I assume it happens for others.

I don't blacklist, hold it against people, or anything like that.

But, I do almost always send a message first. I like to talk about it prior. Weird, but it works for me.

As long as we are able to trade, this issue will always be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
wizalou wrote:
I get tired of people not responding to trade offers.

... and I get tired of people who create a new thread for a topic when there are dozens of existing threads on exactly the same topic

And I am joking of course, the real problem is how hard it is to find existing threads on bgg unless one of them is pinned I luckily did tag a couple over the years since this comes up so often, check out

http://boardgamegeek.com/tag/why-direct-trading-is-hard

and say you have til 5pm ET tonight to get in on a math trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kulin
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The best option you have is to send potential trade partners a message first, instead of a trade offer. If they are not responding, at least your game won't be tied up in a trade request and you won't have to wait for 3 or 7 days.

90% of the time I get a friendly response!

1. I check to see wether a potential trade partner has logged into his Geek mail in the last week.

2. It's a good idea to only trade with Geeks that have a trade rating of at least one.

3. Then send a friendly Geek mail that says:

I would like to trade my copy of X for your copy of Y.
Any trades possible?

Happy trading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenhoe wrote:
The best option you have is to send potential trade partners a message first

And the people who don't even respond to these? Tough not to get a little peeved when that happens...all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it happens less than it used to - most people do respond and graciously too. If they don;t, just move on. You can also let them know you're open to counter-offers. If they're logging on everyday and they don;t respond, then they're not interested. That's okay. It's really not a big deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my exact protocol except I only usually send the GM to somebody with a trade rating of at least 5-10. Out of over 1000 GMs sent I'm at about a 15% friendly response rate.

oil3938 wrote:
90% at the time I get a friendly response!

1. I check to see wether a potential trade partner has logged into his Geek mail in the last week.

2. It's a good idea to only trade with Geeks that have a trade rating of at least one.

Any trades possible?

Happy trading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
This is my exact protocol except I only usually send the GM to somebody with a trade rating of at least 5-10. Out of over 1000 GMs sent I'm at about a 15% friendly response rate.

oil3938 wrote:
90% at the time I get a friendly response!

Any trades possible?

Happy trading!

Hmmm...I follow a similar procedure and get a response rate of closer to 70%. I usually look for people who are daily loggers and a bit higher trade rating...but I also try let them know I'm open to counteroffers etc... Sometimes the trade doesn't work out, but I regularly get responses. Just keep putting yourself out there....

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GS
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I typically send a GM proposing the trade first and often did not get responses. I understand that people are busy, but usually I can see that the user has logged in repeatedly after I sent the GM. This, in my opinion, is rude and disrespectful. I have a personal list that I keep of people that didn't have the courtesy to respond. So far I only use the list to remind myself to not contact them when seeking out trades. I'm not sure how I'll handle it if one of them attempts to contact me with a trade proposal...

Anyway, to orient this post to a more positive direction, I do have a method that has received a response every time I have used it. When sending a GM with a trade proposal, I will inform the other BGG member that a quick "no, thanks" is appreciated if they are not interested in the trade. Its funny how being turned down on a trade offer can actually feel good because the other person had the decency to respond. It truly is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
If people don't respond, they don't respond. *shrug* There are far worse behaviors in this world - let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oil3938 wrote:
Quote:
The best option you have is to send potential trade partners a message first, instead of a trade offer. If they are not responding, at least your game won't be tied up in a trade request and you won't have to wait for 3 or 7 days.

Any trades possible?

Happy trading!

I agree, but I am now trying to make my first trade. I'm hoping my possible trading partner is not only interested in the trade, but will overlook my lack of trading history. Everyone has to make a "first trade" at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks. For this initial trade I GM'd the potential partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Yes, thanks. For this initial trade I GM'd the potential partner.

You'll still need to add the games For Trade and Want In Trade to use the Trade Manager, thus allowing you to be rated as a trader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank you for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's tougher, trading or dating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been married 28 years. I would say trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my trade rating is higher than my dating rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xjohncandyx wrote:
Ravenhoe wrote:
The best option you have is to send potential trade partners a message first

And the people who don't even respond to these? Tough not to get a little peeved when that happens...all the time.

I only know of one person who has never responded to my messages. He is very "prolific" in regards to his collection, so I have to assume he just has everything marked for trade to be a braggart.

Otherwise, I have sent many messages out to initiate a trade and I don't recall ever getting ignored.

My message is usually straight to the point. I mention which games interest me, and provide a tinyurl.com link to my trade list for convenience. I allow them to propose the trade first. If I stumbled across their name via the BGG trade match, I mention which games the matchmaking listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
oil3938 wrote:
Quote:

Any trades possible?

Happy trading!

I agree, but I am now trying to make my first trade. I'm hoping my possible trading partner is not only interested in the trade, but will overlook my lack of trading history. Everyone has to make a "first trade" at some point.

Note that some people (myself included) may ask you to ship first if you have a zero trade rating. Actually, looking at your current supporter badge and your level 3 poster status, I probably wouldn't ask you to ship first, but others might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly understand that and would be willing to do it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I see what you mean. By the way, I just completed my first trade. GM'd the partner who responded quickly. Smooth sailing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a problem with this too, but no longer. As suggested by others, I send an email first and I look to make sure they've logged in in the last decade. After they've logged on a few times and not responded, I send another email. A few more times and I'll send another. And so on and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After they've logged on a few times and not responded, I send another email. A few more times and I'll send another. And so on and so forth.

No offense, but continuing to contact someone after they logged in and already not written you back is a bit, well, obnoxious. If someone wants to trade, they trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IMO, refusing to respond with a simple "thanks, but no thanks" is at least as obnoxious as sending 2-3 messages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.