Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
WizKids has announced the August 24th release of Star Trek Fleet Captains (MSRP $99.99), a strategic miniatures combat game based on the most popular iterations of the Star Trek franchise (the Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager). Using the highest quality Star Trek ship miniatures ever created at this scale, Star Trek Fleet Captains takes full advantage of WizKids’ Clix technology to provide compelling gameplay. The game was originally announced, and some details released, as Star Trek Star Fleet Battles (see “Interview with WizKids’ Justin Ziran”).

Designed by Mike Elliot (Thunderstone) and Ethan Pasternak Star Trek Fleet Captains can be played one-on-one or in teams of two with one side taking the Federation and the other the Klingons. Players build their fleets and their resource deck—each side has 12 different ships. A versatile hex map allows for many different board set-ups that can accommodate all sorts of strategies.

The ship’s Clix dials track power settings and damage throughout the game. Flexible systems allow captains to put all power to weapons, or if a ship is damaged another setting will send all available power to the shields.

The game includes 50 Galaxy location tiles, 200 Command cards (100 Federation, 100 Klingon), 50 Encounter cards, and 76 Mission cards. Each player gets to draw 40 Command cards when constructing a fleet, while the Encounter cards, which range from worm holes to new civilizations that players can explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good chance we will see this at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, $100! Still, if it comes with a crapload of minis that's not too bad. But don't see any mention of how many figures. Wonder if you can actually play a big game with one box or you have to wait for the expansions to have some flexiblity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with 24 ships. Depending on the quality it is a good value even if the game sucks since you could use the ships for other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
The game comes with 24 ships. Depending on the quality it is a good value even if the game sucks since you could use the ships for other games.

USS Grissom

http://www.gamesalute.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/usship....

Klingon Scout?

http://www.gamesalute.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/somraw....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
20 ships in Battleship Galaxies at half the cost.....mmmmmm. I'll wait for that.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
20 ships in Battleship Galaxies at half the cost.....mmmmmm. I'll wait for that.

-Ski

These are pre-painted. Not sure about Battleship Galaxies minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Well, $99 retail probably means around $70 online, which isn't that bad for:

24 pre-painted miniatures
50 Galaxy location tiles
200 Command cards (100 Federation, 100 Klingon)
50 Encounter cards
76 Mission cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, and you can't judge a game strictly on price. Otherwise all small publishers would die since they can't compete with the likes of Hasbro. Running 5,000 units costs a lot more per game then running 50,000 units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

But these are _Star_Trek_ ships which I can envision to use in all sorts of ways - Battleship Galaxies is a _new_ or at least unknown setting.

If your answer to this is "so what", then you're probably better off with Battleship Galaxies, although I think the game system itself will greatly differ between the games, so it's hard to judge just from the minis perspective.

I'll have to get both I'm afraid ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I already bought Battleship Galaxies and will buy this one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Two different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The prices I've seen is about 50 dollars for Battleship and 65 for Fleet Captains. Star Trek has 24 ships (plus its Star Trek ; and Battleship has 20. Seems like about the same deal.

No matter to me, though, as I'm getting them both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play somebody else's copy of Battleship Galaxies, because they will have it. I'll probably have to take the plunge on this one myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

These are pre-painted. Not sure about Battleship Galaxies minis.

I know Scott knows now, but just in case someone doesn't see the other thread. These are NOT prepainted.

Space Hulk was an instabuy at the price for the component quality and because the game is dynamite.

This... hmmm... $100 seems high when there are already lots of micro machines and other ST based minis out there on the cheap. If the game is fabulous I may spring for it, but right now, I'm on the fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am going into GenCon with an open mind. I plan on playing a few demos before I make a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
Well I am going into GenCon with an open mind. I plan on playing a few demos before I make a decision.

That describes me also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
hahnarama wrote:

That describes me also.

I have an open slot @ 3 PM on Thursday to demo...you in ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
Mundane wrote:
hahnarama wrote:

That describes me also.

I have an open slot @ 3 PM on Thursday to demo...you in ?

I plan to go to the wizkids both as soon as the dealer hall opens at 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually him Z man first then watch the FFG circus. OK I say watch because this year there is nothing that I need to stand in line for an hour this year.

I will get to Wizkids eventually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played all the clix games. They all suffer from first strike issues. I hit you first. You need to get really lucky to hit me back and I'm not taking that much damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems a bit simplified. If you hit something that keeps a high attack, it's just as likely to hit you back as it was before. All the characters stats and how long he keeps them, as well as any special powers, change it up enough (IMO) to negate your interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More to the point, this game uses the clix dial in a new way. Check out the rulebook, since it's now available online.

I mean, you still have a first strike advantage, I suppose. But that's true in Star Fleet Battles, too, which isn't usually accused of being simplistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.