Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
End of June I´m going to visit a friend who spends the summer on an alp in Swizerland. And I want to bring along a game as gift.

As they are two most of the time, the game must be good for two players.
If it works with 3 or 4 too, this would be a bonus.
My friend is a quite regular gamer who likes medium weight games. But as far as I know, her workmate likes to play boardgames, but does not know much more than Monopoly, Pachisi, Yahtzee etc. So I´d say the game must not be a low weight, but it should not have verry long rules.

Another factor is, I´ll go there by bike, and Swizerland is mountainous.
So I´d prefere something in a rather small box, not to heavy.

So my criterias are:

- good for 2 players
- medium weight
- no large box
- no long rules

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention,
she already owns Catan Card Game, Hive and Topology, which would fit verry good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis.

A great two player game that can support three. Doesn't come in a large box, rules aren't complex but the game has quite a bit of depth for a card game. Also, if someone is only familiar with very mainstream games, the game should look familiar to them since it shares many features with traditional European cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* Citadels is a good card game that scales very well, and the expansion comes in the box to change things up.
* Red November is a good coop game with an option to screw your buddies at the end under the right circumstances. Has a lot of small parts though.
* Forbidden Island is a good coop game, and there are some variants posted here on BGG. Requires a bit more room and has a bit bigger box than the other games in this post.
* Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age plays not unlike Yahtzee, but has more interesting choices. Get the free Late Bronze Age rules and scorecards.
* Fairy Tale is a good card-drafting game that scales well and takes up very little room.
* Micropul is a free PnP tile-laying game.
* Lost Cities and Battle Line are great two-player games that can be done with a single deck and a little creativity using this.

All these game can be played with two, only Lost Cities and Battle Line are 2-player specific. Micropul works best and is designed for two, but could be expanded to more. To play Red November with only two players, just have each player control two gnomes.

There is extra room in the Citadels box, you could size it down or put more stuff in it if you take the insert out.

There is NO extra room in the Red November, Fairy Tale, or Roll Through the Ages boxes, but I believe Fairy Tale is small enough to fit inside the Citadels box with Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is never a wrong choice for 2p.

I also picked up Jaipur and Biblios for 2p on a recommendation from fellow BGGers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
K2 is a very fun medium weight game with a modest box size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tahnks for all the reccomendations.

I owne and like Citadels and Faerie Tales, but I´d say both are better with more than two players.

So I think I´ll take Haggis, but I´m still open for more suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I bought Caylus Magna Carta almost solely to have a very compact medium weight game. If you are prepared to toss out the box, this game fits into a very small space. I usually play it two player with my partner, but it scales up from there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tile Chess or Knightmare Chess would work well.

I find God Dice surprisingly fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Turkiewicz
Germany
Losheim am See
Saarland
flag msg tools
badge
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy can be stored in a smaller box and works great with 2+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Vincent_V wrote:
Race for the Galaxy can be stored in a smaller box and works great with 2+ players.

Ah yes, I remember the days when RftG fit in a couple of deck boxes, before I got hooked on the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally I picked 11, and it was well recieved.

Thanks for all your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.