Subject: Still a worthwhile game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I can't form my own opinion apparently, because I've been looking at this game for the last four days and keep wavering between 'yes' and 'no'.

Is this game worth it? It sounds like you can get a ton of cheap minis easily, and set selection shouldn't be hard, but I guess I'm trying to figure-out if I'm going to hate it instantly.

Basically my thoughts: I played Mageknight for a couple years back when it first came out and I grew to hate it. It struck me as a very "get the best pieces/cards and spam them" type of game. Not much strategy either: basically you were screwed if your opponent brought better pieces to the table and the 'tactics' came down to little tricks generic to any wargame, like staying JUST out of range, etc...

I played Warhammer 40k for almost 8 years and loved it, but finances forced me to sell my figures. I love the depth of the universe, the balance of the game, and the strategy of the rules. I loved the feeling of putting "The Art of War" into practice. Esp in campaigns.

I also played the Mechwarrior PC games and loved them: so maybe some of my draw to this game is nostalgia.

I do vaguely remember having bought a starter box one time but it's since disappeared.

So what should I do? Is it worth picking some pieces up? I'd be sharing them...don't have a gaming group that's ready to buy new games 'with' me. So I'd need at least 2 forces. Pref 3 for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you end up hating the collectible rules, you can switch over to Classic Battletech and keep using the same minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was looking at classic Battletech too...but isn't that like, more expensive than WH40K? And isn't it discontinued?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

They just rereleased the starter box and it's amazing. Battletech Introductory Box Set. Also, you can use mechwarrior fitting with heroscape tiles. The mechs are really nicely done. They even have moving pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-rereleased. I absolutely love this game and will play whenever asked.

Basically, if you like mech and combined arms battles but don't want to get into the heaviness of Battletech (there's a good bit of rules to learn), this isn't a bad game to pick up.

Plus, you can pick up a bunch of mini's for super cheap. There's a couple of lots on eBay currently for ~20USD, and Miniature Market's stuff is pretty discounted.

However, the down side is that the you'll either hate or love the rules, I haven't seen much in between. A lot of it is based on the luck of the dice, and there's a lot that hinges on knowing what units to pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make no mistake, there are some pieces that are better than others point for point. However, there is also not an active tournament scene going on, so worrying about the very top end of the meta and is kind of pointless. Given builds built by players of equal skill using combined arms and knowledge of formations, the game is very much NOT random, but will 95% of the time be decided by play (straight up mech on mech is much more random and not as interesting gameplay IMHO). The age of destruction ruleset is very solid and mechs + pilots and gear are quite playable. (I would recommend houseruling them onto older style mechs). If both players are building from one pool of units, you should have some really good games! It's definitely worth picking up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably find the game pretty similar to Mage Knight. My group bought pieces from this game to play Future War Commander and Armor Grid: Mech Attack!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Upside: The Mechwarrior (MW) rules (at least the later 'Age of Destruction' rules) aren't that bad. MW plays quickly (unlike Classic Battletech (CBT), where even a small engagement can take hours to resolve, and can be as much a study in accountancy as it is a wargame) and can be an enjoyable way to waste a couple hours.

Downside: The units in MW can be wildly unbalanced, and the point values which are assigned to them (used for building your army) often don't really reflect the individual unit's effectiveness on the playing field. While it's true you can pick up many of the figures for quite low prices, most of the "power" units in the game are still quite expensive. If you're willing to play using just the cheaper, low game quality units, the balance isn't too out of kilter -- if somebody brings one of the "uber-pieces" into the game, the idea of an equal match is pretty much laughable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm...

I saw the Battletech re-release on Amazon...
While I love miniature modeling, (and this is going to sound blasphemous) I don't really like the look of most of the battletech mechs.

In general I go one of two ways. Either 95% of the mechs have to be very spiky, anime-humanoid bipedal looking (and even some of the mechs in Armored Core bug me) or they have to be very mechanical and militaristic, like the Raven or even the AT-ST from Star Wars. Battletech seems to be very middle of the line, with lots of very anthropomorphic mechs with arms and hands and crap...basically I either want the mechs to be anime mechs or walking war machines, not robots. Make sense?

In that respect I like the MA mechs a lot better.
But I've also been burned by Mageknight.

Ill have to look up the rules, see if I can find them online i guess.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.