Subject: Blind Bidding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Blind Bidding work in this game? I have heard that it is "different" from other blind bidding games. I am not usually a fan of blind bidding...I dislike Aladdin's Dragons ... should I stay away from MoZ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't compare this to Aladdin's Dragons at all. The bidding is mostly similar to a standard sealed auction, with three differences.

Each turn, there are 4 things up for auction [1 for each gem type]. Everyone chooses their bid for all 4 things, and then reveals at the same time (1); most of a given gem wins that particular auction. The reward for winning an auction also partially depends on how many gems the winner bid (2). Everyone who bid but didn't win gets to keep their gem cards, but can not use them until the beginning of the next turn (3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the rules here: http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/mines_zavandor.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same way about blind bidding, although I'm OK with it in Aladdin's Dragons for some reason. I've played Mines of Zavandor a few times and the blind bidding can be a little annoying; however, it does speed up the game, so it doesn't overstay its welcome. I would recommend that you try Mines before buying.

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the designers point of view: You know the income of the other players or to be more precise: You know from which stack they draw their income and you know the distribution of gems of each stack. You also see all players improvment cards, which have to be upgraded, therefore you have a good clue if another player is interested in participating in an auction or not. The minimum bid for an improvement card is 3, which is quite high. In my opinion, after 2 or 3 games blind bidding is not so blind anymore. Trading also helps to find out, if somebody will make a bid or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the gems of failed bids unavailable for upgrades is quite interesting as it does mean you have to decide whether you are going to need them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.