Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although there are many grievances I have with this game, by far the biggest has to be the illogical combat system. It seems innovative and unique. The real problem lies in the mechanics of it. Having played D&D 4.0 and thinking it has a rather elegant tactical combat grid mechanic, going to a system that parses out attacks orthogonally by tiles seems ridiculous. I cannot fathom why a monster sitting on a tile diagonally across from me would simply move one tile toward me while a monster seven squares away on the edge of an adjacent tile would zoom all the way over and attack me with all its might. This major disconnect makes the game feel very stupid and inelegant. It sucks whatever little theme out that the game had and makes it a contest of trying to position the monsters as strategically as possible so that the game doesn't kill you off too quickly.

Why didn't they just go with the D&D 4.0 concept and give heroes and monsters powers that count by squares? I just find it very annoying when I find myself adjacent to a monster and use a power to hit a monster within 1 tile, only to have someone say, "Wait, you can't hit that Wraith, it's two tiles away from you." Really? Sure, everyone has powers that hit adjacent creatures as well, but sometimes you just want to use a ranged power to avoid taking damage from an exploded Wraith or some other nasty effect. That's another bit of arbitrary planning: a hero who attacks it from another tile suffers no damage but another hero on the opposite corner from the Wraith on its tile will take a point of damage. That's... just... stupid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it bothers you so much use a simple replacement to text. Treat every reference to tile(s) with "X Tile(s) or (X*4) Squares".

This will allow you to move around with the ease of tile, but get rid of those annoying edge cases at the corners.

Warning, this will help and hurt you at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just doesn't bother me that much. If it wasn't a cooperative game, it would definitely be a major problem. But it is a fully cooperative game, so this particular mechanic is just something you take into account as a team while you play. You strategize and decide the best place to move or end a turn in relation to what the monsters can do. At the end of the day, though, CR is not D&D4E. It's a boardgame, not an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
If it bothers you so much use a simple replacement to text. Treat every reference to tile(s) with "X Tile(s) or (X*4) Squares".

This will allow you to move around with the ease of tile, but get rid of those annoying edge cases at the corners.

Warning, this will help and hurt you at the same time.

It's a semi-fix. It doesn't really fix the main problem which is the fact that it's still easy to exploit monster movement. Really, I think the only fix that would work is giving the monsters speed values and having them move according to their speed. This would add some much needed variety instead of making all the monsters feel exactly the same, save for the Wolf which can move two squares at a time.

For example, a Kobold might be able to move up to 7 squares and so could catch a hero who had only moved a short amount away from it, whereas a zombie might move 3 squares at best because it's just a shambling corpse. I could surely attempt to house rule this myself, but it's too much work to balance. I'd rather just not play the game and lament about what could have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... but that would be very time-consuming.

See : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/662630/simple-rule-chang...

IMHO, if you have much more time, the best way to fix that is to play a real game of D&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got that feeling, Frençois. It might not be a bad idea to use the Ravenloft board, but conduct it as a 4.0 style battle. Might take a few hours, but would probably be more fun than the real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.