Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I´ll retake the question, I have recently bought battlelore, and I´m ready to move on to epic, but I don´t know if it´s better to buy the epic expansion or buy another base game. Is it enough to play epic with the epic expansion and all the available expansions till now or I won´t have enough figures and should I get another base game??.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was under the impression that you needed 2 base games for Epic. DOW clearly stated that all Epic scenarios needed ONE base game. the only exception was the Reluctant Allies scenarios of which there are only 2.

But I went through to determine what exactly I was missing from a single set to play these: and really, it was nothing of importance. These are the ONLY things you need from a 2nd set for the epic experience:

1 Giant Spider (which you can substitute out for any creature I assume)
2 Lore goblets (for the other 2 commanders on the field)
2 Lore Council Sheets (again for the other 2 commanders)
7 Forest hexes (for the Epic Agincourt - which you can substitute marshes of some other terrain if you really want)

That's it. So you need to weigh if the full price of another box is worth it for just these small components, which can be easily substituted.

The advantage of a 2nd box is that you have more than enough units - especially if you use Call to Arms and don't want to risk having Levy tokens to replace a couple missing units. But I plan on getting rid of my 2nd set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play far more Epic than 'normal' BattleLore - and whilst it's not required, the extra units etc etc make up for the cost of a 2nd base set.

We also play with house rules regarding the Lore cards - where duplicate Lore cards of the weaker spells are added, and the cards sorted according to their 'level'

No more River Rage from a lvl 1 cleric !

As a 3rd level spell - you have to be 2nd or 3rd level War Council to cast it.

If anyone is interested, I could bring all of these rules together and create a thread / file for comments ?

I'd love a 3rd lore set - giving lvl 3 Council members a 1x lvl 3 2x lvl 2 and 3x lvl 1 spell option. but I'm not buying a 3rd set just for the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

The advantage of a 2nd box is that you have more than enough units - especially if you use Call to Arms and don't want to risk having Levy tokens to replace a couple missing units. But I plan on getting rid of my 2nd set.

So if I have all the expansion until now is it possible to miss some units using a call to arms???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:

If anyone is interested, I could bring all of these rules together and create a thread / file for comments ?

It sounds interesting..if you could upload the file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens.. not very often.

Using Levy tokens vs 2nd base set... ?

If that is your only concern.. use the tokens. Or substitue similar units / flags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll see what I can do.

It's a notebook of scribbled ideas etc at the monet, bt should be fairly easy to go through and type up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
palmi8 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

So if I have all the expansion until now is it possible to miss some units using a call to arms???

There are 2 ways to play Call to Arms. One way is to use a fixed deck (either A B or C). If you do this, you will never run out of units (though I do need to confirm this for the new cards in the FFG expansions).

The other way to play is to mix the decks up. When you do this, you might get cards such that it calls for more units than you have in a single base set game. For example, I think the base game comes with 4 Hvy Cavalry human units - basically 2 for each side. Each deck is set up so that you only ever draw 2 per side. But if you mix decks, you may pull more than 1 card with the Hvy and now need 3 or 4 on one side. If your opponent also pulled Hvy, you are going to be short of what you need.

The built in solution is Levy Tokens. So if you are short, you take a matching color token. You can then try to fill your empty slots with equal or lesser units. So no more Hvy Cavalry, you can take a Hvy Footman or Medium Cavalry or Green archer.

This was a bigger problem when it was just the base game and a couple expansions. But with more expansions, you will have pletny of units to choose from. So instead of needing Hvy Cavalry, you could put in Mounted Knights, for example.

So I am in the camp that you can make do with a single set of everything. There is no practical need for a 2nd base set. BUT, if you really don't want to mess with Levy tokens, and you are going to play Call to Arms in the organized mode, and it bothers you, then get a 2nd set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been ages since I played the game, sadly. But here are some random thoughts:

Since we started playing in Epic mode, we have not touched the basic mode again.

I remember when I painted the models, from two sets, only the blue infantry had units in excess if played with mixed cards or as a 4-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.