Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Not here!
mb
There is a new "Arkham Horror" game soon to be released: Elder Sign, which I'm looking forward to learn more about. Anyhow, as this title doesn't have its own entry here on BGG, it would have been nice to have one, for updates, rumours etc.

But it looks like many (not everyone - bless you, whoever it may concern!), as soon as they receive news mail from whatever game publisher about a new title, most likely without a fixed release date, there is a race to earn the 4GG or thereabout for the game's main entry - and everybody knows that haste leads to carelessness. Why I think there is a race? Carelessness? Greed? Well, according to the Pending board games page, there is six (6) entries for a game called Elder Sign, and even one for something called Elder Signs.

When editing a new entry for a board game, there is a frame on top which is impossible to miss, and one of the few lines written there is please check that it has not already been added to the current submission queue.
Are we witnessing the same indifference and neglection by a large group of users, that also is visible in other areas on BGG (i.e. Geek modding) ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm quite happy if there are multiple attempts at the same game. As these are modded by the Admins, there's a better chance they'll select the best one (most complete, most grammatically accurate, whatever) rather than just the first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit one of these six is mine. And yes, now I realize there's a pending board game page but no it's not obvious it exists, the new game entry form being pretty intimidating in itself.
I honestly didn't realize the game had already been submitted and thought that it was just an overlook on the gaming community's part. Now I'll make sure to check the Pending page first but, as a part-time software usability engineer, I think the system should make that check automatically when the user tries to submit a title already pending, and at least display a warning so that the user can make an informed choice (and still spam the pending queue if he really is a dummy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seboss wrote:
I think the system should make that check automatically when the user tries to resubmit the same title, at least display a warning.
A warning, maybe, but there are plenty of duplicated game titles. there currently seem to be two Walking Dead titles - The Walking Dead: The Board Game and The Walking Dead Board Game - separated pretty much by punctuation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romir Paulino
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Brazil, Brazil, Brazil...
badge
I reject your reality and substitute it for my own...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seboss wrote:
...now I realize there's a pending board game page but no it's not obvious it exists, the new game entry form being pretty intimidating in itself.

I agree. The link to the pending board game page is not so obvious. Perhaps only making the link more obvious should be enought to avoid this kind of user´s mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Well anyway, I'll be more careful in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
With the number of users on this forum and that ad appearing on the front page, several of those entries could easily be started before any were submitted and thereby the duplication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
A warning, maybe, but there are plenty of duplicated game titles. there currently seem to be two Walking Dead titles - The Walking Dead: The Board Game and The Walking Dead Board Game - separated pretty much by punctuation!

Two completely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Two completely different games.
Exactly. But a simple slip in entering either name might have made the entries duplicates. As another example, there are 4 games in BGG with the title 'Battle of the Bulge', and another called 'The Battle of the Bulge'. You can't always assume by the name that it's the same game (although in the OP case it sure looks likely...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Personally I'm quite happy if there are multiple attempts at the same game. As these are modded by the Admins, there's a better chance they'll select the best one (most complete, most grammatically accurate, whatever) rather than just the first...
angry I've HAD some NEW "entry" stolen out from under 'moi' where they'd barely supplied a "description" about the GAME, and not even close to the amount with CONTENT of which I DID! Theirs was 'chosen': UN~wisely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
angry I've HAD some NEW "entry" stolen out from under 'moi' where they'd barely supplied a "description" about the GAME, and not even close to the amount with CONTENT of which I DID! Theirs was 'chosen': UN~wisely?
Well, I did say a chance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise oh yeah, and MINE was "first"! This very DAY in fact, years ago at that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seboss wrote:
And yes, now I realize there's a pending board game page but no it's not obvious it exists...

Can't really agree with this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been putting quite a few games into the database, here on BGG but also on VGG and RPGG and you can't really miss the pending games list.

The only thing that I can think of why they did miss it is what the OP says, it's a race. When I first put in a game I read everything so also this big red notice on top, I wasn't in a race so that worked out quite well and since that moment I know that I need to check it first.

There is a check if the game isn't in the database yet on VGG if I'm not mistaking, but I don't know if the pending items list is counted in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
Can't really agree with this

Does it prevent users from duplicating content? No, so it's useless. No amount of text is going to prevent users from faulty behavior, quite the opposite actually. The more text you throw at users, the less they're likely to read any of it.
My point is, a warning requiring user action when possible duplicate content is detected would do wonders (and is fairly easy too).

This said, I went a little fast on my first game submission ok. Now gimme a break, will you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
There is a check if the game isn't in the database yet on VGG if I'm not mistaking, but I don't know if the pending items list is counted in that.

As far as I can tell, it's not – the check is only on items already in the database. You need to check yourself the pending queue (and ctrl-F is your friend in that case).

Also, I just noticed that if you enter the name in the "Primary name" box, and then hit 'enter', you effectively bypass the check: the page is reloaded with the alerts for the required fields, but that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, as we talked the ninth Elder Sign submission was made...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seboss wrote:
Btw, as we talked the ninth Elder Sign submission was made...

LOL! I'm going to make one myself! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirteen and growing. So much for the pending list obviousness.
Do all FFG releases make such a mess or is this exceptional?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exceptional, but not unique - although if there are 13 that's way higher than I've ever seen! I regularly check that list just to see what's up & coming. It depends on the popularity of the item and the availability of details to fill in the form. If people have to fill in the description with their own words there tend to be far fewer submissions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And does it always so long to process pending entries? The first Elder Sign submission must be from around a week ago by now. I'm not saying the BGG admins are slackers here, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A week? I recall when 5 or 6 weeks or longer was not uncommon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Seboss wrote:
And does it always so long to process pending entries? The first Elder Sign submission must be from around a week ago by now. I'm not saying the BGG admins are slackers here, just curious.

Actually, the first submission for Elder Sign was Wednesday 6/8 in the early evening. I was already away from the computer by that point in the day, I did not address it on Thursday, and I was working all day on Friday with my wife for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. I didn't work on BGG much over the weekend, and my morning today was involved with taking care of several hundred version submissions, corrections, links, designer and company entries and corrections, and one hundred other submissions to the games queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Actually, the first submission for Elder Sign was Wednesday 6/8 in the early evening.

Thanks for your work!
An entry for Elder Sign was approved now. If you approved it, did you use the first entry, the earliest useful entry, or the best entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure is better than mine anyway. And another great addition to the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.