Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jed Litwiller
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Agricola about 6 months ago and I have about 10 plays under my belt. I'm looking for a worker placement game with more direct interaction.

At this point after reading and watching reviews I'm seriously considering Carson City, with Alien Frontiers being my second choice because of the card interaction and the dice rolling aspect. My main concerns are that the dueling in CS could be too simple (with not enough skill involved) and that the "take that" aspect of the cards in AF would be too annoying.

Would these concerns be minor complaints of overall excellent games or does anybody else have any other recommendations?

Jed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Carson City as a worker placement game. I think it's an excellent game.

There are 2 variants for the duels and there are ways to add firepower to give yourself an edge in the duels. There is more player interaction than Agricola but not much.

Haven't played Alien Frontiers although I own it. Traded Agricola away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Litwiller
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is more player interaction than Agricola but not much.

That's partly what I was wondering. Basically I'm looking for a worker placement game that has more direct player interaction than "I'll take wood because I know he/she needs wood," if that exists.

Also, I'm not looking to get rid of Agricola as I thoroughly enjoy the game and can see myself enjoying it for years to come.

Also, something between 1-2 hours would be preferrable, which both CS and AF seem to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes has been getting lots of table time for us lately. One of its co-designers also designed Carson City. A very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the dueling in Carson City isn't exactly "skill-based," it does add another "take that" wrinkle to worker placement. There's also quite a bit of interaction among players as you build up the town itself and vie for spots on the board. If anything, that's where most of the interaction takes place. Yes, the duels add a nice element of potential (and actual) threat, but it's board position that requires skillful (and watchful) interaction.

I really enjoy the game. If your group likes worker placement and has the stomach for a little injection of randomness, there's a good chance you will too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Stone Age and Egizia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed Carson City the few times I've played it. We've always played with the duel variant, using the strength tiles instead of dice. My only complaint with it is that the game can get a bit fiddly when it comes to counting up incomes, with rotating buildings so that the arrows align with the values and so forth. I just wish there was a better way to keep track of your money, like an income track.

hmmm...... *heads over to Carson City page to see if somebody's already made an income track add-on to the board file*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Litwiller
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I've played Stone Age several times on Yucata, and although I enjoy it, it doesn't have the direct interaction I'm looking for. Have to play Egizia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dishbird wrote:
Quote:

I've played Stone Age several times on Yucata, and although I enjoy it, it doesn't have the direct interaction I'm looking for. Have to play Egizia.

We have Stone Age and Egizia, and enjoy both of them. For me, the game play has gotten better with each of them. Stone Age was first, followed by Egizia, and now surpassed for me with Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Alien Frontiers is probably a good fit. There is definitely more interaction than typical worker placement games like Agricola or Stone Age. The primary interaction in those games is typically just a competition for resources/actions. Alien Frontiers still has that, but is also an area control game and also has some interactive cards.

You wondered if the cards are too much of a 'take that'...but I haven't found that to be so. Most of the cards aren't necessarily even interactive, but the ones that are can really help someone catch up when they're falling behind, etc. It probably depends on your group to be honest. Most of the people I play with aren't highly confrontational, so while we use the cards, nobody gets too crazy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would third Troyes...you can directly impact other players by using the dice they would like to use and by kicking meeples out of buildings so they can't roll as many dice (they can still buy them from others...but its nice to have a good number yourself!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City is a brilliant game and unfortunately seems to get overlooked a lot. I can't recommned it enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caylus is an excellent recommendation if you're willing to go a bit heavier. Alien Frontiers is also a great game, and I find nothing annoying about the cards. If there is a particular one you really don't like you can always take it out. I haven't tried carson city yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.