Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hinton
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Guys and probably gals!
When I first played this expansion (I own the original back in England) I decided that this variant would be a good inclusion. It was an on-the-spot idea that I had that could have ruined the game, but has always either not come into effect, or has helped to speed up the part of the game where people are buying stuff just because there is a big monster with some weird ability that nobody can draw the cards for (I hope it's not just me that gets this)

What I do is that we play the game as written except when the 4th village pile (including heroes, but not basic cards) is empty the monster in rank 1 is put to the bottom of the dungeon deck. The other monsters then shift up.
This seems to always work really well.

Note: This is usually more of a problem with a completely random game, the intelligent randomizers deal with this mostly, but it's nice to have just iin case.

What do people think of this variant?
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just bounce the monster by attacking unsuccessfully though. Is this just a one time effect that you use to help get rid of some pesky monster? What is the actual benefit you find from this variant? Does this effect repeat each time a pile is depleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hinton
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, it does repeat each time a pile is depleted. Though I have only ever had it happen twice 3 times (in lots of games).
Problem is that if there is a monster (such as the assassin) where players know they are unlikely to defeat it, even with extra draws etc... then they will just go to the village repeatedly, which makes the game take a long time, too luck based on getting a good enough draw to get the monster.
This seems to get rid of that section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sids Creations
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does everyone want to shorten the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hinton
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't want to shorten it really. Just ensure that the looping section where noone can do anything useful, which I find a little boring and repetitive. I can see that some people would enjoy it. I also think the game is more inviting to new people with this and makes more people want to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.