Subject: House rules for Solo game flowchart? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I just got Labyrinth recently, and am getting the hang of it. I have played a few games now, and the jihadist flowchart works pretty well. However, I find the Travel (and occasionally the recruiting) results pretty bizarre sometimes, and I was wondering if people have come up with any house rules to make the jihadist AI a little more coherent in their strategy.

For example, why can't 2 or 3 cells travel to a country with a beseiged regime on the same card, instead of having them disperse more or less randomly? If there are bunch of different options for recruiting (ie the governance is the same), and one stands out as clearly the best location to recruit the masses, do these things really need to be determined by random die roll?

Maybe have a priority list (ie RC countries first, beseiged regime 2nd, country with aid marker 3rd, move to US from adjacent country 4th, move to Pakistan 5th, etc.) and choose the mode of travel for all cells which have the best odds (ie adjacent first, then ranked by governance after that)

I am pretty sure this is the intention of the travel and recruiting rules, and I'm sure playability and coherence was at the top of the list when designing the flowchart. Just wondering if people have some improvements they can suggest to an already great game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Nathan! Thanks!

My understanding is that some folks will intervene occasionally to improve a jihadist decision from the flowchart. Others just skip the flowchart and make their own decisions for the jihadist opponent.

The jihadist flowchart (being a dumb animal) naturally cannot pursue as broad a range of strategies as a human player. With Travel, it mostly is trying to achieve dispersal (hence 1 cell to each box at Travel To), while using Recruit to build up mass (hence all in one country, per last sentence of 9.4.2). We've found that the charts tend to provide a challenging game, but as you note sometimes do things that a player would be unlikely to do.

From a realism standpoint, I will note that the global extremist movement depicted by the jihadist side in the game is far from a well-oiled command machine and indeed does things at apparent cross-purpose to itself.

I don't know of any full-blown solo variants (others may chime in), but the next issue of GMT's C3i magazine -- shipping at the end of this month -- includes a "Jihadist Activities Refined" chart that makes two minor improvements to the Travel priorities (in part to cut down on aimless back-and-forth Travel that sometimes occurs).

Hope that helps! Enjoy. -- Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the insight Volko! I must say (as I have read a lot of the threads for this game over the last few weeks!), I am so impressed you take the time to respond to all the threads, and in record time!

I am interested in seeing the revised chart as well. Do I contact GMT directly about getting C3i? (I am a new fan of GMT Games, having gotten my first, Twilight Struggle, around Christmastime).

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Garside
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
No Pain No Gain
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Volko

Living in the UK it is almost impossible to get hold of C3i magazine without remortgaging my home and selling more children.

Is there any way to obtain the Jihadist Activities Refined Chart as a file?

Greatly enjoyed your insurgency and COIN discussions on the Guns Dice Butter podcast.

Best Wishes

Jules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
julesg wrote:
Hi Volko

Living in the UK it is almost impossible to get hold of C3i magazine without remortgaging my home and selling more children.

Is there any way to obtain the Jihadist Activities Refined Chart as a file?

Greatly enjoyed your insurgency and COIN discussions on the Guns Dice Butter podcast.

Best Wishes

Jules

The revised flowchart comes with later versions of the game, so there's a good chance you already have it. On the Jihadist Activities chart there should be a small "2nd Edition - 2011" underneath the Schengen roll table in the bottom right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Garside
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
No Pain No Gain
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help Pugnax555.
Unfortunately I seem to have the original 2010 version.
Any significant game-changing differences?
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.