Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homebrew Alien - Chrysalis - idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xagyg
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could open a can of worms. I am not sure if something like this exists already. I am looking for feedback, it may be unworkable ...

CHRYSALIS

You have the power to Shield. You are not affected by any cosmic effects or alien powers except for Cosmic Zap. For example, Mirror can swap the digits of its own cards, but not yours. Empath cannot change your attack card to a Negotiate. Sorcerer cannot use its power against you, since that would involve affecting (swapping) your card. However, Macron's ships would still be worth 4. Card effects, including Emotion Control, Force Field and Mobius Tubes, also have no effect on you (or your cards or ships). If any player cosmic zaps you, then any card or power effect will affect you as normal.
Any Player - Any Phase

Wild: As an ally, play this flare to protect the main player or any one ally on your side (which may be yourself) from any power or card effect.
Ally Only - Any Phase

Super: Play this flare to allow a card or alien power effect to affect you.
Any Player - Any Phase

History: Fearing outside races, the Chrysali have developed almost impervious shielding and weapon defense systems in an effort to preserve their beautiful ecosystems, unique heritage, and rich culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a power like this a long time ago.

NORMAL

Not Affected By Powers

You have the power of no power. You may not use your multiple powers, though you do receive them. You are not affected by any other players' powers. Whenever a power is used, proceed as if it never happened. You are also not affected by super flares. However, you may not benefit from other players' powers, ex. Healer. You are affected by Edicts except by Mesmer's power and Flares except by Flare's power.

FLARE

Wild: You need not be affected by any Edict or Wild Flare unless there's no choice or it directly affects this card.

Super: You may use your multiple powers and may benefit from other players' powers.

[I once had a power called Flare, also abandoned}

It did prove to be unworkable. If you defeat Zombie, does Zombie keep his ships? Those are ships he can use against you later. What if Healer heals someone else? That player keeps his ships to use against you. Healer gets cards to use against you. The power also essentialy zaps powers.

The closest idea that I guess works is the Cosmic Encounter Online power Martian whose power is as main player his opponent cannot use his power. It doesn't stop allies or non-involved players from using their powers, even against Martian.

Gerald Katz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xagyg
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
If you defeat Zombie, does Zombie keep his ships?

Yes. Because his power stops his ships going to the warp.

hadsil wrote:
Those are ships he can use against you later.

Irrelevant.

hadsil wrote:
What if Healer heals someone else? That player keeps his ships to use against you. Healer gets cards to use against you.

But the power effect wasn't directed at Chrysalis, so all that is ok.

I can see where you are going with this ... but the examples you give aren't troublesome. I suspect there are some examples that highlight the problem ... but where are they?

I appreciate your feedback, though, keep it coming to find that problematic example. My gut feeling is it is there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
xagyg wrote:
I am looking for feedback, it may be unworkable ...

Like Martian, it's largely a non-power. When your alien spends all its time nullifying other players' aliens, it isn't doing a thing for itself but is just getting everyone else closer to your own non-power state. They lose their power some of the time, but you have "lost" yours all of the time.

Unlike Martian, it does have a positive use in the form of artifact/flare immunity. However, this is offset by the fact that you can't benefit from any cards for yourself (including Kickers and your own Super flare, technically speaking; actually, since you just say "card effects" it also appears that you can't use Reinforcements, the special text on Crooked Deals, etc.). Sounds like a net loss to me.

This concept is always a dead end for me. Squelching all the alien powers nukes the very thing that gives Cosmic Encounter its heart and soul. Take away all the card effects on top of that, and you're asking the Chrysalis to play the game of War instead of Cosmic.

Anything's possible in this game, but the one design concept over the years that comes closest to futility is the power that takes away other powers. It sounds good on paper but pretty much always ends up very weak in reality. People will defend the concept, but Martian's performance speaks for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.