Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, the cards are all unique except for two - Extra Head, and Evacuation Orders.

It makes sense that 2 Extra Heads should be available as there are 2 additional green dice provided, but it seems a bit random that Evacuation Orders should have two copies. I wonder if there's any particular reason for this - does everyone else have 2 copies of Evacuation Orders or have I just got a duplicate copy by mistake? I do have 66 cards as specified in the contents list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy has duplicates of the same cards.

When both Evacuation Orders cards come out, it can make for a long game. When that happened to us, our 4-player game lasted 70 minutes, much longer than our typical 15-30 minutes. We ended up going through well over half the deck too, much more than our typical 6-10 cards. Thinking of house ruling the second appearance of the card out of the game to avoid a similar overly long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Bruce - reassuring to know it's not a card collation issue in my copy of the game.

But it does seem like an odd choice of card to include as a duplicate - it would have made more sense to me if two copies of a card with a simple but useful effect such as the Spiked Tail (+1 to attack), or some of the vanilla -giving cards had been included, but why this one, which just potentially doubles the opportunity to extend a game which doesn't really need to be dragged out?

I'm tempted to take out the second copy of Evacuation Orders from my deck.
(I have no problem with the duplicate Extra Heads of course. Monsters can never have too many heads googoogoo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Garfield
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Just to clarify, from the designer's perspective -

this is the intended card mix. The intent was that all of the cards be unique, I duplicated extra head because it was sexy and simple, I duplicated evacuation because it served the purpose of changing up the timing in the end of the game giving players who were behind more things to hope for. At one point I had a few different cards that served that purpose but the evacuation order just worked better, and so I added an extra one.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.