Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
...yet another home-improvement-minutiae-related thread.

I changed out the lockset on an interior door last weekend. Everything went pretty well, except the new strike plate wasn't properly sunk. So I grabbed my trusty Dremel tool and a rasp attachment and ground away at the door jamb until the plate would seat properly. It rapidly became apparent that this was really a suboptimal method, but it ended up working.

When I went to install the new knob set for the closet in that room, I discovered that the new set wouldn't fit into the old hole. It's an old house. No problem, I thought, I'll just go pick up a 2 1/8" hole saw.

While at the hardware store picking up the hole saw, I also grabbed a wood chisel, in case I needed to do any more work on door jambs. Well, I got to use it today, and WOW. WOW (imagine larger, bolder letters, here) WOW!!! Who would have thought that redefining the jamb for a strike plate could be so fun and, well, empowering. I was altering the very fabric of the wood with almost no effort. I was a woodworking god. Sure I indadvertantly stabbed myself in the finger at one point, but that meant nothing in the face of my newfound abilities.

Then I grabbed the drill and attached the hole saw. And quickly discovered that it is nigh impossible to start a hole without the pilot drill. I mean, the hole saw came with the pilot drill, but since I was enlarging a hole, rather than starting a new one, I did not get the benefit of the stabilizing presence of the pilot. So, I basically destroyed much of the inside of the door trying to get the damn thing to catch. I should have stopped after the first attempt or two, but I kept myself going with the line of reasoning that I could just tell my wife that all that damage occurred on the first pass. Eventually, it caught and I made a nice hole (from the outside), and installed the knobs.

So I went 1-1. Now I'm off to find excuses to use the chisel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
slowcorner wrote:
Now I'm off to find excuses to use the chisel.

Did you see The Prestige?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've had to do that, too. I cut a fresh hole in a scrap piece of MDF, and clamped that to the door as a guide. It worked really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Sure I indadvertantly stabbed myself in the finger at one point, but that meant nothing

That's goddamn right. "Oh, did I get stabbed in the finger? Huh, I didn't notice. I wonder who did that... You know, it used to be, if you stabbed a guy with a chisel, you had the decency to introduce yourself."

slowcorner wrote:

Carve your name in huge block letters in your dining room table. Why? Because it's your table, that's why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Carve your name in huge block letters in your dining room table. Why? Because it's your table, that's why.

Even better: in your neighbor's dining room table. That'll teach 'em for not returning the lawn mower they borrowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Yeah, I've had to do that, too. I cut a fresh hole in a scrap piece of MDF, and clamped that to the door as a guide. It worked really well.

Man, that's brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

Man, that's brilliant.

With a single pilot hole, you can cut from both sides of the door and guarantee both sides of the hole will line up. If you use a clamped-on guide, you pretty much have to do all your cutting from the one side of the door. Since my hole saw could cut little more than half way through the width of the door, I found myself having to periodically dig out the waste with a chisel. So, there you go. Another excuse to use your chisel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
Sure I indadvertantly stabbed myself in the finger at one point, but that meant nothing

That's goddamn right. "Oh, did I get stabbed in the finger? Huh, I didn't notice. I wonder who did that... You know, it used to be, if you stabbed a guy with a chisel, you had the decency to introduce yourself."

slowcorner wrote:

Wow, did I just get the home improvement imprimatur from kuhrusty? And free advice, to boot??

This is a great day for me, my house, and my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
And free advice, to boot??

This is a great day for me, my house, and my family.

Well... you may want to check the fine print on that waiver you signed. I'm still not quite sure how, but here's what happened the last time someone followed my home improvement advice:

I said the wall "probably" wasn't load bearing.

Apart from that, the last time a BGGer came to visit my house, he felt compelled to call Child Protective Services because of the grossly unacceptable living conditions to which my children were subjected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.