Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
to be honest, haven't used the swapping action in my 5 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way: when you have multiple players, you are disadvantaged to the extent that your elves and vikings are split up into several different reserves, so you don't have access to all of them on any given turn. The swapping action reduces, but does not eliminate, this disadvantage.

When playing solo, the disadvantage is completely gone. That's equivalent to having access to the swapping action, except making it not cost an action to use! So even though there's nothing for you to do with the swap action, you're already strictly better off than the players in any game where it's being used.

If you're going to add a new option to make things easier for the players, it would make more sense to do it in large games, not small ones. The solo player already has the advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
to be honest, haven't used the swapping action in my 5 games

My gosh! I think the only games where I haven't used this action have been solitaire/one god games! How have you survived, Barad?surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is so much easier than with a group, I don't think you really need another action.

We very, very rarely use swapping even with a group. I'd say maybe we've used it in 4 or 5 games (out of 30 odd), and maybe once or twice in those games. Except for one game where we passed around a big pile of vikings and elves for the last few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just make we each have enough of the counters. It happens that one player runs short off, but almost all the players just go for the bags each turn. And then it's just a question of keeping them filled with vikings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
We just make we each have enough of the counters. It happens that one player runs short off, but almost all the players just go for the bags each turn. And then it's just a question of keeping them filled with vikings.

The same here. In about 15 two+ player games, we have used the swap action in one game, and that was an artificial experiment.

We tried playing mechanics roles -- Freya as the bag management player, Thor as the combat player, Heimdall as the viking puller. That required Heimdall to swap regularly with Thor. It's really inefficient though, since we had the bags very well cleaned by the player using Freya. Much easier to let everyone pull their own vikings and elves.

If you could swap after the dice roll, now that would be very handy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
We started this a while ago, and it seems to work for us:
We try to stockpile early in the game both Vikings and elves in one player's hands. Then, if another player needs them, the whole lot is Niflheimed over to that player. It's far more efficient to get four Vikings and three elves (in one action) than it is to troll for only three Norsemen.....unless you've totally cleared a bag of fire giants, and your name is Heimdall. That's a different saga altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
...That's a different saga altogether...

Ha, nice local colour there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.