3 Posts

Engage» Forums » General

Subject: Engage at MichiCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to stop by the Table Tactics booth at MichiCon. They were running demos of Engage and I can't say enough positive things about the quality of the demonstration. They made everyone welcome and took the time to fully explain the rules while hosting a demo game. I even saw one lad (probably about 10 years old) having a good time playing.

Engage comes with a pretty impressive box of bits (see their website for photos); the unit pieces are well done and it's easy enough to map the weapons to the unit types (if you can recognize a BAR or an Elefant you'll have no problems).

The game is an interesting blend of tactical positioning and bluffing (with a blind auction mechanism to resolve the diceless combat system). There's never enough of the bidding resource ("skill") to go around...and every turn a player has to make hard choices about whether to attack, ready units, or replenish skill points.

Even as a first-time player, I had no problems understanding the rules and was able to get into the rhythm of the game within a round or two.

I will also say that the play aids and gameboard are well designed, with all relevant information at your fingertips (though you'll rarely need to refer to them, at least for your more common units).

Available from FairPlayGames, and at $42 (current price), there's a lot of content in the box for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Yope
United States
Saint Clair
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had the opportunity to get in a game of Engage at Michicon with my good friends Russ and Jack.

I echo the sentiments of previous poster on the basics of the game and it positive merits. The only real down side I put forth would be the generic "capture the flag" nature of the game board. That could easily be remedied with different variant maps that make for different scenarios similar to what is done in Battle cry or M'44.

The boys did a great job of presenting the game and the game itself was was done in that it could be easily learned on the spot. I also see where it can have a great amount of replay based on the different levels of rule complexity.

Good stuff!

P.S.- It needs a dice tower!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Johnson
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more terrain types but this is easily managed by the DIYer and added in. the game has a great ruleset to build anything you like into it.

I was thinking this would be rwally fun to play on my battlelore board with the epic expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.