Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Simons
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I just picked this up in shrink at a yard sale (amazing right?!) My normal group of 5 doesn't typically do war games but the hype and the luck of getting the game on the cheap has put this close to our table. I've read through some reviews and sessions and can't get a good feel for how long the game usually takes to play to the end. Box says 2-3 hours but I see some sessions ending only half way through at 4+ hours!

So I ask, how long does it typically take your group of 4 or 5 to finish a game? And, how awesome is this game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Whenever my group plays, the game usually takes about 3 hours. That's with 4 or 5 players. It'd depend on the group, but I don't think my group is a very slow one either.
Even so, it's time well spent; I never notice the clock until the game wraps up. I hope you guys like it!

Edit: Your first game will be quite slow. You'll want to read the rules a few times beforehand. You might even have to split up the learning over 2 sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Last time I taught this to 6 new guys the game lasted about 3 hours with explanation. In one regard, the game could go shorter as they know the rules now, but the game would probably go longer as they get into the spirit of it. So I think once you get into the grove, 3 hours should be the norm for a group of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasco van de Haar Pinto
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group consists of 4 players. Our longest game took us 6 hours, our shortest about 1 and a half...
Learning the game takes a while. We started after lunch and stopped for dinner after only having played two turns...
It's a great game as even the 6 hour game was exciting from start to end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Simons
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
What is the relative difficulty of stopping a session mid game, taking notes/pictures, tearing the board down and setting it back up again another night? Are there tons of pieces on the board at that stage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BSimonsSays wrote:
What is the relative difficulty of stopping a session mid game, taking notes/pictures, tearing the board down and setting it back up again another night? Are there tons of pieces on the board at that stage?

It is not as bad as some games, such as Axis and Allies. Because of the supply rules, you are capped by the number of each army that you can have plus the sizes of those armies.

But each region will have up to two piece types (base game) and may or may not have a power token. You would also have to record the current order on the 3 tracks, the turn, and what House cards have been spent. You would also need to show how much power each player has and the current Wildlings attack level.

Obviously, completing a turn would make it easier, because stopping mid-round you would have to mark down what orders are where.

The final thing that I can think of is recording all the Westeros decks. You would need to record what has been played so you know what cards are still left. And unless you spoiled the info of the order it were to be drawn, you would have to reshuffle what wasn't played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siim P
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the amount of time depends heavily on the players - how long they take to think. With some of my friends the game can easily last more than 6 hours. I think my last game started somewhere between 22:00 and 23:00 and finished a bit past 5AM. But if you have players who won't be giving up and are hell-bent on winning it won't get boring.

It was the base game with ports and 5 players.

For my groups I usually consider it to take 4+ hours and warn new people accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Simons
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
How frequent is player elimination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Wiechmann
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience player elimination rarely happens.
However, sometimes towards the end it might happen that a player is practical incapable of having any impact on the game.
This can be a problem especially in a 5 player game where Greyjoy might be able to cripple Lannister. In your first games this should not be such a big problem, you will all have enough to do with learning the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 players (1st play): 3-5 hours.
With 6 players (1st play): 4-7 hours.

With expert players maybe it's possible to play in 2-4 hours (in 5 or 6 players).

I suggest to use a timer for:
- diplomatic phase (1-2 minutes)
- the order placement phase (3-5 minutes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.