BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gamers and Fingernails rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Lamy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Has anyone else noticed that a good number of serious board gamers often have unclipped fingernails? In my experience about 3 out of 5 gamers have unusually long fingernails. Ever since I noticed I have been self conscious about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well, I guess I'd call myself a 'serious gamer.' I keep mine trimmed. Can't stand them when they get too long. I haven't noticed others' fingernails, really.
Interesting observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer, I use my long fingernails as forceps to pick up small chits commonly used in wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Right now, there's maybe 1 - 2 mm of white overhang beyond the bed of my nails. From the title, I feared that this thread would be about much worse nail problems: black grime under nails, bloody cuticles or nails chewed off in the quick. In my personal opinion there's a somewhat sizeable range of acceptable nail lengths. I've noticed that European men tend to keep their nails slightly longer than Americans for whatever reason. For that matter, what does it say that I've assumed to this point you were talking about male gamers? /stream of consciousness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lamy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yea I'm talking about American Male gamers that don't necessarily have gross grime. Just longer than normal fingernails.
I would say slightly longer than as if they forgot to cut them. Maybe 2 - 2.5 weeks of growth. I'm not judging but just wondering what the correlation is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
As a wargamer, I use my long fingernails as forceps to pick up small chits commonly used in wargames.

That's exactly why I claim that The Battle for Normandy is a girly game -- because long fingernails are so very useful in play. (For those not familiar with it, it's a massive WWII hex-and-counter game that takes a triple-size table to set up and hundreds of hours to play out.)

As for the gentlemen I play games with, no, I have not noticed unusually long fingernails -- but here in Silicon Valley I deal with eccentric people all the time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lamynator1 wrote:
I'm not judging but just wondering what the correlation is.

I don't know, but I could see the utility of having a slightly longer nail for picking up cards. I do use what little nail I have to get under the edge of a card lying flat on the table. The only alternative, as far as I can tell, is sliding the card all the way to the lip of the table where it can be picked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McCartney
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame my long nails on the fact that clipped nails and stuff getting between the nail gap and touching my finger drives me nuts....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
Right now, there's maybe 1 - 2 mm of white overhang beyond the bed of my nails. From the title, I feared that this thread would be about much worse nail problems: black grime under nails, bloody cuticles or nails chewed off in the quick. .../stream of consciousness

Oh god, this. What is UP with that?? gulp I clicked on this thread thinking the same thing since this has actually been something I have noticed (not with most of the players I have played with but enough to know it's more than the average population I work with, have interacted with in the service industry, or ride the subway with). I have just chalked it up to the same bucket as the other social differences I have noticed with some players. Some people just have different definitions of 'clean' or 'groomed' or don't really notice or care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they happen to play classical guitar? Its common for classical guitar players to keep their finger nails slightly longer as it aids in finger picking. Dont be to quick to judge some one as socially inept just because they are different than you. Thats a trend I see in gamers and to me thats worse than greasy hair, dirty finger nails, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nails? Really?

I'm happy I even have some left, with the amount of chewing I do.

Any time I've thought about having them removed, for example, I think, "what the hell would I chew then?" Cuz, if chewed fingernails are gross; what does a nubby stump that used to be a finger look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these fingersnails?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinney
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have long nails on my right hand, but that's because I'm a classical guitar player. Most of my group are pretty well groomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if my avatar broadcasts it, but I'm a pianist, so keeping my fingernails trim is a lifestyle for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Not here!
mb
kvenosdel wrote:
Maybe they happen to play classical guitar?
This is O' so very true. If you google site:www.boardgamegeek.com and either guitar or ukulele (yes, ukulele among board gamers aren't all that uncommon as you might think), you get 657 000 and 775 000 results. So there is one reason for all the naily lads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading (and now replying) to this thread, I realize a lot of us have a lot of time on our "hands."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Victoria
United States
flag msg tools
My honest opinion is to keep it traditional- women long nails, men short nails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Titanis Walleri wrote:

You forget teeth and nails had been weapons for a very long time before we became "civilized" or became "girly".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you mention it, I guess they are getting a little long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:
black grime under nails
What is UP with that??
Simple, that is from painting miniatures!

To answer the original post: No, no trend observed, either in US or UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Now that you mention it, I guess they are getting a little long.

I saw this some time ago and hoped I would never see it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titanis Walleri wrote:

Long nails for women are unattractive when they start to be impractical. I can't respect men or women who deliberately restrict their abilities, just for fashion.

Edit: I'm trying to ignore the picture that showed up while I was posting this, even if it proves my point. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:

Exactly. I feel like I'm wearing gloves if I try to pick up cards or counters and have my nails trimmed too close, I just can't get a grip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Maybe they happen to play classical guitar? Its common for classical guitar players to keep their finger nails slightly longer as it aids in finger picking.

Yep. Classical guitar player here (22 years). My thumb and pinky nails are long and shaped. My others are also shaped, but are still short enough where someone might just think it's neglect. Not so with the other two, though.

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my nephew plays with us and works in an office his fingernails are so clipped he can't pick up the chits involved in many of our games we most normally do it for him as its so sad watching the nailess man struggle to lift chit shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.