Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We went up to Tzfat (Safed, Zefat, however else you want to spell it in English) for the weekend and my wife and I were wandering around the Artist Colony.

My wife and I have quite different tastes in art, there is very little that I like that she also likes, thought there's lots of stuff we can both agree that we hate. Especially fun are the paintings where I like it a lot except for one part that just turns me off, and she especially likes that one part and doesn't care of the rest. We did not expect to find anything that we both absolutely loved. Usually we only browse art to make fun of it.

Then we happened upon one gallery where we liked a lot of the style of art there. There was this one painting that we both actually _loved_. We looked at it for at least 20 minutes just falling more and more in love with it. It wasn't something you could even get a print of, the real effect was in the way the paint was used in a "blobby" style to create really great effects. A picture doesn't do it justice, but here it is:

It's about 3x2.25 feet unframed.

The sales-dude-person offered it to us at 7500 Shekel (about $2150 US) including the frame. That's a pretty big chunk of change.
We've been considering doing renovations in the house, but we keep putting it off, and this would serve as the kick in the pants to actually do something. (Since then everything else in the house would look like crap next to it). But it's a lot of money. Also we'd be worried about the kids ruining it. Also it's better to do the renos and then find something that'll fit the space we created... or is it better to buy some art and shape the renos around it?

In the end we didn't buy it on Friday, maybe we'll commission something by the artist after we finish our renovations.

Damn I loved that painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's probably best to consider which you'd spend more on.

We've certainly bought quite a bit of art, but we'd spent much more on the changes in style to the condo. So the art we bought was more to accessorize the style we'd already started moving towards.

About the best advice I could give - having done this whole thing a few times (we move around a bit) - pick something you DO like the style of, but not a physical thing. House magazines aren't an awful idea, but not really my first choice.

Pick a TV series or movie. Favorite play. Music. Historical period. Inspiring museum or park. etc. Something somewhat intangible, but that you can always go to for new ideas. Because no matter how sure you are on what you have in mind, you'll ALWAYS hit something that just doesn't work, can't be made to fit, problems with the layout of your place, etc. So it's handy to have a touchpoint to go back to for new ideas, that doesn't make you feel constrained because 'you spent X amount of money on it, so it's GOT to fit in somewhere...'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
(not really answering the question)

Do you often have buyer's remorse? Or are you more likely to look back on the things you liked and then talked yourself out of buying? Art's an intangible, and arguably "unnecessary," but I'm in the latter category, so when I see something I like I snap it up. I don't worry about where it's going to go, or if it even "goes," but I know what I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

Do you often have buyer's remorse? Or are you more likely to look back on the things you liked and then talked yourself out of buying? Art's an intangible, and arguably "unnecessary," but I'm in the latter category, so when I see something I like I snap it up. I don't worry about where it's going to go, or if it even "goes," but I know what I like.

I think this one falls into a bit of both category. If we bought it, I'm sure we'd have some remorse at spending so much. If we don't buy it then we'll regret not having it.

We're just never happy I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

I agree, I have missed out on some great opportunities because I didn't bite when I had the chance, but... you have to eat.

Original art is like a tattoo, it's something you have to weigh. Am I going to enjoy this in X years? if it is, get it. that painting would span generations. I would consider it expensive for an unknown, but it is wonderful and you would enjoy it for the rest of your days I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I think you did well not to buy it as "the blobby period" is rarely referred to as an artist's high water mark.

See if there are prints available at the artist's website and be content to enjoy it from the comfort of your newly renovated home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
We went up to Tzfat (Safed, Zefat, however else you want to spell it in English) for the weekend and my wife and I were wandering around the Artist Colony.

My wife and I have quite different tastes in art, there is very little that I like that she also likes, thought there's lots of stuff we can both agree that we hate. Especially fun are the paintings where I like it a lot except for one part that just turns me off, and she especially likes that one part and doesn't care of the rest. We did not expect to find anything that we both absolutely loved. Usually we only browse art to make fun of it.

Then we happened upon one gallery where we liked a lot of the style of art there. There was this one painting that we both actually _loved_. We looked at it for at least 20 minutes just falling more and more in love with it. It wasn't something you could even get a print of, the real effect was in the way the paint was used in a "blobby" style to create really great effects. A picture doesn't do it justice, but here it is:

It's about 3x2.25 feet unframed.

The sales-dude-person offered it to us at 7500 Shekel (about $2150 US) including the frame. That's a pretty big chunk of change.
We've been considering doing renovations in the house, but we keep putting it off, and this would serve as the kick in the pants to actually do something. (Since then everything else in the house would look like crap next to it). But it's a lot of money. Also we'd be worried about the kids ruining it. Also it's better to do the renos and then find something that'll fit the space we created... or is it better to buy some art and shape the renos around it?

In the end we didn't buy it on Friday, maybe we'll commission something by the artist after we finish our renovations.

Damn I loved that painting.

Wish I could see it in person...I really like it too and the size, style and colors would be awesome in my living room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

See if there are prints available at the artist's website and be content to enjoy it from the comfort of your newly renovated home.

Good recommendation.
I can't afford paintings with such a high price, so I stick to strictly limited art prints.
Over the years I bought a lot of them and now have a nice little collection of prints by Beuys master students. all from the same printer, who sadly died last year.
Depending on my mood I change the print and their hanging on the wall.
Oh, and they also are some kind of an investment. I just recently found a print being offered by a gallery for 400€. I bought it some years ago for 40€.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Block
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
If spending $2000 doesn't hurt, I would have bought it. Art feeds the soul.

If spending $2000 prevents a needed renovation, it merits some thought.

If $2000 means accruing debt or going hungry or *gasp* no more new games for a couple of years, well that's a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mamahonu wrote:
If spending $2000 doesn't hurt, I would have bought it. Art feeds the soul.

If spending $2000 prevents a needed renovation, it merits some thought.

If $2000 means accruing debt or going hungry or *gasp* no more new games for a couple of years, well that's a no-brainer.

If we didn't have money to spare it wouldn't even have been a question. We are big proponents of the "If you can't afford it, don't buy it" philosophy, and we tend to be very frugal in our everyday life. The frugality is what makes it painful to spend money even if we have it.

It would not have prevented the renovation (whenever we get around to actually doing something for it...), but that doesn't mean it "doesn't hurt." It's just a lot of money and we don't tend to spend that kind of cash on luxury items. (Heck that's my board gaming budget for like 6-7 years!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.