Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The English language rules are now available to download from the Treefrog website. You can also see samples of the cards.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for letting us know, let's have a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the links you should ever need

Game page

Rules PDF

Card samples

Game map

Details of Collectors Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are quite easy to read.

I like that the Remove One Trouble Marker symbol is badge 177, Sam Vimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Wow.

That is some very good integration of theme and gameplay. This was already on my radar because of theme, but having read through the rules, I'd say this is definitely a game I want to have.

Also, very, very pretty. Can we get a deluxe collector's edition too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
Can we get a deluxe collector's edition too?

As I read it, the deluxe edition will be an upgraded collector's edition.

Can you buy the collector's edition, then upgrade to a deluxe edition later would be my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, of course, there is the wizzard's edition: leather bound with copper bands to protect the octarine ink on the map (and to prevent the miniature Luggage from escaping) shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam zitin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was almost true before reading the rules, and now it's definite. I have never ever waited in greater anticipation of a boardgame. This must be mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just prefer the city on the board to look more like a pizza and less like an egg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jessop
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just gotta get this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a first reading, i am a litte frustrated as it seems to have a lot of mechanisms in common with London (city map, boroughs, adjacency rule, cards & related actions, prices of boroughs, victory points computation...).

More, there is too much chaos (event cards, incentive for take-that-in-your-face...), lack of ending game condition's visibility (minions, demons, buildings, trolls and troubles spread all over the board) and guessing for me.

The theme is well implemented (as far as i remember from "Guard!Guards!") but i think won't buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very true to the novel series.

The only thing I could see improvement on would be the fact that 3 of the 7 personalities have the same victory conditions. Of course the only other mechanic I could see, off hand, would be obtaining a certain number of buildings, and having not played the game yet, I don't know how hard it is to build buildings.

I own every Pratchett book so far, so there is no way I'm letting this one get past my collection.

Should also be easier to pull out than some of the meatier games I own, due to it's chaotic nature.

Great work Martin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathInc wrote:

The only thing I could see improvement on would be the fact that 3 of the 7 personalities have the same victory conditions.

I thought that at first, but now I think that actually may be a great mechanic. In some ways, it almost makes it easier to hide your secret identity because the other players will default to your most likely goal. If you aren't one of the 3, you can drop hints that you are. If you are, it's easier to attract attention to your misleading actions when you know what baseline everyone is using to judge you. On the flip side, you'll need to control your urge to simply treat every other player as having the most likely goal.

Of course, this is all conjecture, but I've been pondering how this twist on secret personalities will affect game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
After a first reading, i am a litte frustrated as it seems to have a lot of mechanisms in common with London (city map, boroughs, adjacency rule, cards & related actions, prices of boroughs, victory points computation...).

It's a completely different game. You've picked up the superficial similarities, but that's what they are.

Quote:
More, there is too much chaos (event cards, incentive for take-that-in-your-face...), lack of ending game condition's visibility (minions, demons, buildings, trolls and troubles spread all over the board) and guessing for me.

You want a game about Ankh-Morpork without chaos? That's really not going to happen. For example it would be theoretically possible to re-theme London to use Ankh-Morpork names with a lot less chaos. It wouldn't be Ankh-Morpork though. And to take just one example, adding up points is not the usual game end condition.

As for lack of visibility of end game conditions, you know what they all are, you can assess each player against all of them. You have to assume worst case. OK, you need to be able to count, but that's abou it. Bote that there's a specific paragraph in the rules that advises you to do this.

Quote:
The theme is well implemented (as far as i remember from "Guard!Guards!") but i think won't buy this game.

That of course is up to you. Of course you could always hope someone you know does buy the game so you can try it without buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
DeathInc wrote:
The only thing I could see improvement on would be the fact that 3 of the 7 personalities have the same victory conditions.
This jumped out at me as well. I am sure they tested it, but I when I saw that, I was a little concerned with balance.

In a 4p game, if 3 people happen to get those 3 same goals, does it give the 4th player some advantage? If the 4th has Dragon King of Arms it seems like it would. It would also mean that each of the 3 needs to control 4 areas and with only 12 areas total, there is bound to be some overlap thereby helping Commander Vimes.

Since the winning condition needs to be met at the beginning of your turn, it does give each of the other players the opportunity to alter the game state before you get a chance win.

It would be interesting to gather some statistics on how many games ended with goals met and how many ended with points.

I can think of a few interesting variants regarding game end that could be used if this does cause any concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

You want a game about Ankh-Morpork without chaos? That's really not going to happen. For example it would be theoretically possible to re-theme London to use Ankh-Morpork names with a lot less chaos. It wouldn't be Ankh-Morpork though. And to take just one example, adding up points is not the usual game end condition.

As for lack of visibility of end game conditions, you know what they all are, you can assess each player against all of them. You have to assume worst case. OK, you need to be able to count, but that's abou it. Bote that there's a specific paragraph in the rules that advises you to do this.

Of course there is chaos in Ankh-Morpork, no doubt and i agree with you. What i mean by this is that this is not a game for me. I own 12 (13 in few days with "A few acres of snow") Martin's games and i'm a Wallace fan but this one will not join my game library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the resemblance to London at all (cards are discarded after play not added to tableau, boroughs cannot be bought and don't get you more cards, random events, no paupers, distinct victory conditions).

I do see lots of chaos. Thematically accurate and maybe a bonus if you're trying to play with those less keen on hardcore gaming.

Hidden identities are very popular in my local gaming scene at the moment, I can't wait to see players trying to convince me that they're Dragon while actually being Vimes, or vice versa meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Stone wrote:
Oh. Wow.

That is some very good integration of theme and gameplay. This was already on my radar because of theme, but having read through the rules, I'd say this is definitely a game I want to have.

If you are big fan of Discworld trust me you have to have it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
It would be interesting to gather some statistics on how many games ended with goals met and how many ended with points.

Btw, none ended with points this far, about 10 games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
kneumann wrote:

Btw, none ended with points this far, about 10 games played.
There was another thread for this. I think it was fusag that started it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wuradosan wrote:
White Stone wrote:
Oh. Wow.

If you are big fan of Discworld trust me you have to have it!!
You are replying to a post from over a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.