Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty much an Iridium Flare rookie being that I've begun spotting some for the first time this year. Last night I spotted a double flare which was two flares in almost the exact same spot that occurred within 20 seconds of each other.

If there are any flare veterans out there I'm wondering just how rare something like that is? Seems to me that it would be a fairly rare occurrence, but I'm not basing that on anything other than my own goofy conjecture.

Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait.

What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
What?

*ahem*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_satellites#Satellites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Danger wrote:
Anyone?

I don't observe them myself, but I've found Sky and Telescope a good resource for articles and tracking software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry, to answer your original question, my guess is that you observed an Iridium satellite and a non-Iridium satellite very close in your line-of-sight. The Iridium satellites are supposed to be equidistant from each other, so I would not expect to see two so close together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osmotic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
[As mentioned above...]

Heavens-Above

The satellite watchers' BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Jerry, to answer your original question, my guess is that you observed an Iridium satellite and a non-Iridium satellite very close in your line-of-sight. The Iridium satellites are supposed to be equidistant from each other, so I would not expect to see two so close together.

Yeah, that's what I thought but it was listed as two different Iridium satellites. I forget which numbers they were now, but it was definitely two Iridiums. Or at least that was the info I was working from.

I use the Iridium Flares app which pulls it's data from Heavens-above. It's a great little app for the purpose, with GPS function for views at your current location and also ability to set reminders.

Back to Rob's point... I don't get it either unless maybe it's a new one taking the place of a failed one? Again, that's coming from absolutely no source other than my totally guessing brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i saw my first one about a fortnight ago. and another last week. it's fun getting a sore neck while you wait

i view on the WIR (when i remember) basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Danger wrote:
Back to Rob's point... I don't get it either unless maybe it's a new one taking the place of a failed one?

You've got it. The double flares come from spare/replacement Iridium satellites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find these articles on the Iridium satellite "Constellation" and Iridium flares clarifies things somewhat. In short 66 satellites are operational (excluding spares, I think), all in approximately 100 minute orbits, with about 1/2 minute flare periods. So, given they have different orbits to provide 24/7 worldwide coverage, double flares are pretty usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.