6 Posts

Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A mistaken Fate leads the traitor into our midst... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played my first seven player base game (with Bedivere subbed out for Palamedes since my group all think he sucks). We had only two experienced players (me and Gawain). Everybody else had never played before.

The order:
King Arthur (me! w00t!)
Sir Galahad
Sir Percival
Sir Tristan
Sir Bedivere
Sir Kay
Sir Gawain

After an hour and a half, the loyal knights had accomplished much. There were only 8 white swords on the table and no black, but it was now past midnight, and the lull of sleepiness began to hang on the Knights of the Round. Sir Bedivere played the Fate card and then announced that he has given away that he is loyal because he played it (King Arthur had explained the Fate card as the knights first gathered at the table and that a traitor could play it loyal or traitor, but this loyal knight wasn't listening at the time). Complaints broke out, and the king decided Bedivere should draw another loyalty card (the last one!). More than half the knights supported this, but we all nervously watched as he traded his loyalty card. Was he the Traitor now? Every action of his was now suspect.

We failed a fight against the Black Knight, but we were still at 8 white to 1 black, and we were still not safe if a Traitor was in our midst (which we knew was guaranteed at this point). Sir Bedivere stood up at the Round Table, made an act of Heroism on Excalibur, and announced that we must all go to find Excalibur to bring assured victory to Camelot. Many knights supported his decision and went off in search of the Sword, however, as King, Arthur stayed behind to fight the Saxons, even though only one had reached the shore.

Sir Bedivere then eyed Arthur with suspicion and asked why he would not support finding Excalibur since it would bring a guaranteed victory to Camelot. Arthur told him enough knights were attending to that quest, and that the Saxons could easily come ashore if all the knights were away from Camelot. This did not assuage his suspicion and so he accused his King!

King Arthur proved his loyalty and forgave Sir Bedivere for his impetuosity. But there were now rumors at the Round Table. Was Bedivere the Traitor? Soon Sir Percival, who had defeated Lancelot, retrieved the Grail, and had averted many terrible disasters for the knights by peeking at the black deck, accused Sir Bedivere. But Bedivere proved his loyalty... we were now at 6 white swords to 3 black. If the Traitor went undiscovered, we would surely be defeated! Bedivere said he believed the true traitor must be Sir Tristan since he had done the best actions all game but was acting "very shifty" when it became possible for the traitor to win by hiding to the end. Then he said it could be Sir Percival, who had achieved both Lancelot's Armor, and the Holy Grail. Then Bedivere suddenly sacrificed his last ounce of strength defending Camelot and lay dying.

"Why did you do that?!" we questioned him.

"If Sir Percival is not the traitor, then he will let me drink from the Grail."

Sir Percival let him drink from the Grail, but Sir Bedivere responded with more empty accusations. "You are covering your tracks!" There was general talk from everyone of the boy who cried wolf and how nobody should believe Bedivere anymore due to his erratic behavior. He must be sleepy.

It came to Gawain, who stood up to reveal the true traitor!
"I have been sure of this from the beginning!"

A pregnant pause ensued.

To everyone's surprise, he pointed at Sir Galahad! And he, exhausted from all the efforts he put into the quests thus far said, "What?"

"It's been you all along!" spouted Gawain, "You have been going around helping with quests to cover your tracks!"

However, Sir Galahad proved his loyalty, which made Gawain sink back into his seat.

We were now at 5 white swords to 4 black. It became imperative now to identify the traitor since we were only 3 swords from the end, but one last false accusation would spell defeat. It was King Arthur's time to stand. What of Bedivere's accusation of Sir Tristan's shiftiness? What of Sir Percival's hoarding of relics? Was it Gawain who accused a loyal knight for what seemed like no reason? But Gawain had fought siege engines all game. The same with Sir Kay. Then it hit King Arthur: No one had performed any traitorous actions all game, but with so many false accusations flying around, the traitor didn't need to. He remembered how early on, only one player seemed concerned about what the traitor must do to undermine the knights.

King Arthur, looking at the knight wearing the armor of the last traitorous knight, stood up to make his accusation.
"Sir Percival! It is you!"

Sir Percival guiltily flipped over his loyalty card and was banished from the Round Table.

This brought us to 6 white swords to 4 black, and we then shortly discovered Excalibur and Camelot was safe once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done unmasking the traitor. Sounds like an exciting session. Well-done write-up too. I'm eager to get this back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure I understand why you were so focussed on revealing the traitor with an eight to one lead. Hitting Excalibur would make it ten to one, rush over to help King Arthur for eleven to one, two flip to black and it's nine to three.

Even if the traitor would have become desperate, he would have basically revealed himself.

Nice session report, but I don't get it. Never mind. I re-read the beginning. Except for you, all first-timers. I would have tried to talk them out of it so would have accused you of being the traitor. :-)

As an aside, I like Palamedes. That extra life point when he is on a successful quest can be huge.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Even if the traitor would have become desperate, he would have basically revealed himself.

I think the game was at the tipping point. Had we gone forward without accusing every other knight, I think the traitor would have done something drastic, but we were winning it for him so he didn't need to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tend to disagree.

A "good" traitor shouldn't have let you go 8-0 in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree, but this was his first time ever playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.