John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna say The Mustache is brave to take on the NBA Finals and the Tony Awards, but really, that's prolly the only time-slot Fox News would give him. Those losers still keep his show 'Stossel' on the Fox Business Network where noone will find it. The Mustache shouldn't have to be on the same channel as Don Imus, damnit.

Anyway, tune in if you want to see a shrimp running on a treadmill. (And the guv'mint dropping half a million on it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aagh, my power went out for a few minutes during the show. It's a good thing they're replaying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JDTAY wrote:
Anyway, tune in if you want to see a shrimp running on a treadmill. (And the guv'mint dropping half a million on it.)

Did Stossel actually portray this story accurately, or did he just go with the cheap right-wing meme? I suspect the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean the shrimp or spending in general? He only spent like four seconds on the shrimp, so I'm not sure what the story behind that is.

Actually, you might've enjoyed the program, he spent the last five minutes praising Canada. I didn't know you guys were so awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JDTAY wrote:
Do you mean the shrimp or spending in general? He only spent like four seconds on the shrimp, so I'm not sure what the story behind that is.

Basically, the usual suspects have castigated the gubmint for spending $500,000 on the aforementioned shrimp treadmill. However, the treadmill

1.) Is actually part of a larger study to determine if shrimp in the Gulf Area have become weakened and less able to reproduce in the wake of the Deepwater disaster, which is kind of important and, one would argue, worth half a million, considering that the shrimp industry in Louisiana alone is $1 billion large
2.) Actually cost only like forty bucks and was built out of spare parts by one of the researchers.

This is how most right-wing critiques of government spending work: find something that sounds ludicrous out of context, then complain about it vociferously as if the reason the USA has an enormous deficit is shrimp treadmills. John Cornyn does this all the time.

But the reason the USA has an enormous deficit is simple: the Bush tax cuts, the recession, and the wars. The reason the US spends a lot of money is equally simple: defense, Social Security and Medicare. It takes two minutes to say that.

Did Stossel say that? Or was it all shrimp treadmills?

Quote:
Actually, you might've enjoyed the program, he spent the last five minutes praising Canada. I didn't know you guys were so awesome.

It's a little known secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I am with most liberals on this one. Science projects quite often sound crazy but the benefits are not easily recognizable on the surface.

However, there are some things the Feds spend money on that will never make any sense to me at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping this was all about Oak Island. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.