18 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Platoon movement and radioless afvs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Tiger
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm About head into a scenario with radioless afvs and need clarification on a rule. Sorry can't specify rule # as I dont have rb with me.

If a radioless afv makes a successful dr to break away from it's platoon does it need to retake that tc every move that other members of it's original platoon still exist on board or is the one tc all if needs? The way I read it the afv will need to keep making the tc dr every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he needs to take a TC every MPh that he wants to move without a platoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add that the existence of his platoon-mates doesn't matter at all. Think of it as a TC to move independently. If you have a two-vehicle platoon and one is destroyed, the other will be subject to this TC every turn. This distinction can also matter on defense, since radioless vehicles must enter in platoons, but are not required to set up in platoons.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tiger
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmm I seem to remember something about the tc not required if only 1 afv is left out of the platoon? Oh well, sort Of makes it hard to move them then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluetiger80 wrote:
Hmm I seem to remember something about the tc not required if only 1 afv is left out of the platoon? Oh well, sort Of makes it hard to move them then.

Not that I can find on re-reading the rule. AFAICT, the only way to get out of a Non-Platoon Movement TC is to get Recalled. Probably not worth the price.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
bluetiger80 wrote:
The 2006 erraticized rules add, in the D4.22 Gaps rule (last sentence) "If only one AFV is remaining, it is free from platoon restrictions for the remainder of its current MPh".

Just a precision : the TC only happens at the start of the AFV(s) MPh (14.23).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tiger
Australia
flag msg tools
Right, knew I had seen it somewhere. So it needs a tc every mph, potentially painful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D14.22.

Due to gaps in the Platoon, the surviving AFV is freed from Platoon movement restrictions for the current MPh, but the lone AFV will have to TC again if they wish to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
D14.22...but the lone AFV will have to TC again if they wish to move.
No : the TC cannot be made during the MPh, and typically belongs to the Platoon movement restrictions.

However, at the start of the next MPh, the TC will be mandatory (if the AFV is not in a situation where it can initiate Platoon Move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
bluetiger80 wrote:
The 2006 erraticized rules add, in the D4.22 Gaps rule (last sentence) "If only one AFV is remaining, it is free from platoon restrictions for the remainder of its current MPh".

Just a precision : the TC only happens at the start of the AFV(s) MPh (14.23).

Good clarification, Robin. The "only at beginning of MPh" is so ingrained in my understanding of this TC that that didn't occur to me.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand what the platoon movement rules simulate. I never served and have no real life AFV experience but it seems weird to me that a tank can't move on it's own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
I don't understand what the platoon movement rules simulate. I never served and have no real life AFV experience but it seems weird to me that a tank can't move on it's own.

It simulates the lack of co-ordination that radioless vehicles suffered. Vehicles with radios can stay in touch more easily with each other and those giving the orders.

Come to think of it, given ASL's lack of command and control, it's a little weird... It makes it harder to use them effectively, so it works, IMO.

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spencer Armstrong wrote:
Joshua the Gamer wrote:

It simulates the lack of co-ordination that radioless vehicles suffered. Vehicles with radios can stay in touch more easily with each other and those giving the orders.

Come to think of it, given ASL's lack of command and control, it's a little weird... It makes it harder to use them effectively, so it works, IMO.

S

I'm still not sure I understand though. Were the tanks really hard to see out of or something? Why the need for the radio to move properly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
I'm still not sure I understand though. Were the tanks really hard to see out of or something? Why the need for the radio to move properly?

It's one thing to "see" and another to be situationally aware. What the lone radioless tank really should do is maybe act randomly and drive here and there trying to be useful somewhere. You know, using its own judgment. But because this is a board game the player would always move it optimally where its needed most. So the compromise is that sometimes the tank moves and sometimes it don't.

Now, I can't explain how the platoon movement overcomes the lack of a radio (maybe the lead tank actually has a portable radio), but at least they stay together in LOS of each other so there's some coherency at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Joshua the Gamer wrote:

It's one think to "see" and another to be situationally aware. What the lone radioless tank really should do is maybe act randomly and drive here and there trying to be useful somewhere. You know, using its own judgment. But because this is a board game the player would always move it optimally where its needed most. So the compromise is that sometimes the tank moves and sometimes it don't.

Now, I can't explain how the platoon movement overcomes the lack of a radio (maybe the lead tank actually has a portable radio), but at least they stay together in LOS of each other so there's some coherency at least.

Ah. I get it now. Couldn't wrap my head around it. To me it seemed like me not being able to drive without someone to follow or someone on the phone directing me. I can find places by myself. Wasn't thinking about it from that point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Joshua the Gamer wrote:

It's one think to "see" and another to be situationally aware. What the lone radioless tank really should do is maybe act randomly and drive here and there trying to be useful somewhere. You know, using its own judgment. But because this is a board game the player would always move it optimally where its needed most. So the compromise is that sometimes the tank moves and sometimes it don't.

I think it overcomes the lack of radio by having sight of one another and using pre-co-ordinated movement. However, such movements are slower...

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
marticabre wrote:
D14.22...but the lone AFV will have to TC again if they wish to move.
No : the TC cannot be made during the MPh, and typically belongs to the Platoon movement restrictions.

However, at the start of the next MPh, the TC will be mandatory (if the AFV is not in a situation where it can initiate Platoon Move.

I meant if they want to move again in their next MPh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:

I think that the first AFV tactical doctrine forced tanks to use air squadron formations and use the "follow the leader" doctrine: whatever the lead tank would do (move, shoot), the wing tanks would also do that. Initiative was not encouraged and also they had no radios to improve communication and ask for specifics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.