Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ajax
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five years has passed between Shattered and Shards; is there anything TI3 still needs?

Mercenaries (added to Leaders) help fulfill the lacking hero aspect, Flagships & MUs add more units to give even more of an epic vibe, and Reps give a face to politics.

What do you still want or does Shards fill the gaps and trim loose ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
What I really want is a development of TI lore, whether it's through more board games, an RPG or novels.

I would definitely read some TI novels if they were properly done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
What I really want is a development of TI lore, whether it's through more board games, an RPG or novels.

Played TI3 yesterday with two newbies (my victory was inevitable but they learned the valuable lesson that it's the victory points that count 9 to 4 to 4).

In between their turns they were reading the stories in each manual and the back stories on the race cards. One even said they should write some books/movies for this stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A replacement for the ugly ground forces flags !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WalMal wrote:
A replacement for the ugly ground forces flags !

Yet the flag makes it easy to reach down between the surrounding ships and pluck it out between thumb and forfinger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2-player scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
twentytwelve wrote:
Five years has passed between Shattered and Shards; is there anything TI3 still needs?

Mercenaries (added to Leaders) help fulfill the lacking hero aspect, Flagships & MUs add more units to give even more of an epic vibe, and Reps give a face to politics.

What do you still want or does Shards fill the gaps and trim loose ends?

We were asking the same question when Shattered came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
A 2-player scenario.

Truth, with some retooled strategy cards for a two person game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for TI4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Allen
Australia
Thornton
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted to see them do a deluxe edition of TI3, on par with the wooden chest version of Settlers of Cataan.

3d board tiles, custom ship designs for each race, 3d modelled chits and counters, maybe even some sort of digital player boards for tracking assets and working out purchases.

It's never going to happen, I know, but I'd totally pay for it.

I also think TI3 is ripe for a video game conversion. It seems like there's so much great fiction in there to make use of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sturk
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

They could sell action/political cards in a new stand alone expansion. $10.00 per deck. This could keep the game fresh for years.

More space/planet tiles and perhaps a new strat card or number 3.5 or 6.5 (etc) so you could have up to 10 players (if you are crazy enough to try).

Some tournament rules would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
rktboy wrote:
I always wanted to see them do a deluxe edition of TI3, on par with the wooden chest version of Settlers of Cataan.

3d board tiles, custom ship designs for each race, 3d modelled chits and counters, maybe even some sort of digital player boards for tracking assets and working out purchases.

I also think TI3 is ripe for a video game conversion. It seems like there's so much great fiction in there to make use of.

I like most of this and would pay for a deluxe painted version of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardSturk wrote:

They could sell action/political cards in a new stand alone expansion. $10.00 per deck. This could keep the game fresh for years.

More space/planet tiles and perhaps a new strat card or number 3.5 or 6.5 (etc) so you could have up to 10 players (if you are crazy enough to try).

Some tournament rules would be nice.

Fantasy Flight did a 12 player game back when the base game was out. They combined two base game together, 2 of each strategy cards were given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
rktboy wrote:

I thought for some time about making a 3D set for Twilight. Use spheres of different sizes for planets, held on a stand, with a platform on top of them to hold the ground troops.

The sheer number of planets to paint drove me away from that project. It's not even hard to do... just VERY time consuming.

Having a different shape of units for each and every race sounds cool, but oh boy try to teach the different units to new players! Has anyone of you EVER played a game where someone did NOT take a cruiser and said: "is this a destroyer?", when buying units?

The digital boards would make it a bit too close to a video game for my comfort. Drawing action cards and politicals from that common pool?
With standard tablet PCs it would be easy to program though. Put them all in a network so all players draw from the same pile... I like the idea... but i think i would prefer the good old cards and tokens.
T'would also be confusing as immaterial command counters would become material once put on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to buy a TI3 deluxe edition a la War of the Ring. Hand painted pieces, hard cover rule book, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Original TC question:

What could be added to the game in a third expansion?
It's still missing a few staples of the space 4X genre. While i'm not saying they could ALL be added due to fiddliness and making the game too long, there is still room for expansionitism...

The ability to design your own ships in the middle of the game with a set of abilities. Put the abilities the player wants in a ship, within some limits based on the size (can't have 200 cannons on a fighter).

Roaming space monsters that attack ships and colonies.

Pollution for planets when they overproduce, which would reduce their production / influence values (StarCraft: tbg has something similar).

Colony ships. Right now we just send ground troops to conquer neutral planets. It would make more sense to have to send a colony ship to colonize a neutral planet.

The late-game ability to destroy planets completely (AKA the death star gun).

Better detailed ground invasion combat. It's the most abstract part of the game right now.

The caravans: A more complete trade system. Send a physical trade ship to gain trade-goods with a neighbor where both would profit from the trade based on the distance made with the ship, with a bit more given to the owner of the trade-vessel and less to the other player.

Of course, there always more room for new techs, new action cards, new politics, new races, new scenarios, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
I'd be willing to buy a TI3 deluxe edition a la War of the Ring. Hand painted pieces, hard cover rule book, etc.

Preferably a ring binder so it is easier for them to send out errata pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rktboy wrote:

This... this +100000!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
baelthazar wrote:
rktboy wrote:

This... this +100000!

Isn't that what Masters of Orion II is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Isn't that what Masters of Orion II is? :)

I was just writing that, refreshed page, and found myself beeing too late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Time for TI4

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (expression of anguish forever now indelibly associated with the moment that tarnished Darth Vader for all eternity).

Don't even whisper it. Don't even think it. Don't give them ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
hob69 wrote:
slinkydink wrote:
Time for TI4

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (expression of anguish forever now indelibly associated with the moment that tarnished Darth Vader for all eternity).

Don't even whisper it. Don't even think it. Don't give them ideas.

I thought about the same thing. But then such a possible TI4 would have the same problem facing Eclipse: it would be measured against TI3 itself.

TI3 was successful because the base game was everything TI2 was and then more. More races, better components, more options, etc.

TI4 would require to have everything TI3 is and then more...

It's the same problem Talisman faced when the 3rd edition came out for example. It was definitely inferior compared to the 2nd with all expansions.

If we wait 10 years of TI3 and expansions being discontinued and no longer available for purchase, THEN you can come out with TI4 and bring it as a base game that is less than the previous version and a new generation of gamer will pick it.

Example: Space Hulk. The second edition came soon after the first and was less than the first with it's 3 expansions. It was not a good game.
Wait some 15 years later... the third edition is a hit and sold out everywhere, even if the third edition contains less material than the original 1st edition with it's expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bestland
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Notice that there seems to be a little clue in the tech tree:

Hylar V Assault Laser (Jol-Nar)
Saarween Tools (Clan of Saar)

All's well and good, but what about:
Dacxive Animators (Who are the Dacxive? Zombie Monkeys?)

and with Shards of the Thone:
Duranium Armor (Autobots?)

Granted,the Duranium may just be some Wonderflonium material of the future. But the Dacxive sounds like a race if I ever heard one. Sounds like at least one more expansion, if only with a few races.

btw, as an aside, anyone notice that the Saar don't start with Saarween is kind of weird? I've played a game where Saar went particularly militaristic, and ended up being the only race without getting the tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarween Tools has just the one "A." I don't think it has anything to do with the Saar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
MatThePhat wrote:
Dacxive Animators (Who are the Dacxive? Zombie Monkeys?)

I'm convinced "Shards of the Throne" wasn't even in Petersen's mind when Dacxive Animators were being researched across the world. A third expansion is extremely improbable on the grounds of "hints" from 6 years ago.

Well, to be honest, this Shards expansion was extremely improbable, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.