Samurai» Forums » General

Subject: "Samurai" as entry point into Medieval Japan warfare theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools

I've no experience with the GBoH-series so far and I am looking for a wargame on the Medieval Japan theme. So I would like to ask you, whether you would recommend the GBoH games "RAN" and "Samurai" or should I go for something else?

Thank you for your advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Konstantin,

I answer here for Ran too.

At tactical level, probably, they are not the best wargames about Medieval Japan, but the system works well and with a bit of application you will enjoy both.
Rules are well written and not so difficult to manage.

Samurai is different from Ran, because the second uses a different, in part, set of rules.

The only flaw, but very important: the battles treated in the two wargames are too historical, for a wargame, with the tendence to be unbalanced ... it's ok to play a historical battle with the historical losing side, but a more balanced scenario would be more interesting and playable.

All in all, they are, from my point of view, a 7 more or less!

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The error here is: ok all GBOH are based on historical outcomes, but with SPQR + Modules, Alexander the Great + Modules, Caesar and Caesar: conquest of Gaul + Modules (These I have in my collection), EVERY scenario I have played is balanced or with a bit of bidding can be balanced; Samurai, but mostly Ran have scenarios unbalanced (ok as in real history) but without or with a little possibility to balance them with bidding too ...

It's good play a historical scenario, it's good play a unbalanced scenario but I think that the wargamer who takes the historical losing side became frustrated very soon, or worse if I have to play an historical battle to see it ending like as in History, where is the fun?

The designer has done a great job, but he forgot to add a level of victory, even dummy for the part that historically lost.

At page 2, Ran scenario book: [...] some of the scenarios are for the historian [I bought the wargame for History yes, but mostly for fun] and solitaire player; others are more suitable for competition.

I'm not here to say I take Samurai & Ran and throw them in trash, absolutely NOT, I love them but I'd want to love them more!!

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, GMT has never given priority to the balance of the scenarios, some of them give the impression of having been created by placing the counters on map after reading an Osprey book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.