Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sleeves [+] [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
My cards are shot to pieces, so bought the recently released black backed card sleeves from Mayday.

They are the right size for the cards. Unfortunately, they seem to be exactly the right size, so they are a very tight fit. In fact, on about 20% of my sleeves, they are so tight, I cant even get the card in. Have already bent 2 cards trying!

Anyone else had any experience of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the SWAN Panasia sleeves. I use them for all my games and i never had any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is I have bought 500 already.

And wrecked 2 of my cards as they bent whilst putting them in the sleeves.

Where can I get these SWAN sleeves in the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

We'd be more than happy to send you out a pack or two of replacements if you got a bad batch. Just ask the distributor where you got them (BoardGameExtras.co.uk?) or email us at maydaygames@gmail.com and we can take care of you at no cost ASAP. Hope to hear from you soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyckad nyckad
msg tools
mb
PaulGrogan wrote:

They are the right size for the cards. Unfortunately, they seem to be exactly the right size, so they are a very tight fit. In fact, on about 20% of my sleeves, they are so tight, I cant even get the card in.

I had the same problem with "I-don't-know-the-sleeve-company-name" sleeves. I think I used the ones too small with Le Havre cards, and they fit perfectly.

maydaygames wrote:

We'd be more than happy to send you out a pack or two of replacements if you got a bad batch.

Awesome after-sales service. I don't know which sleeves have I bought before but now I know a "brand" to look for the next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday beat me to this reply. but what I was going to say...I have sleeved all(Orig. and all expansions) of my Dominion cards with the Mayday clear sleeves with absolutely no problem. Also, Arkham and Pandemic w/all expansions. IMHO, with the exception of being out-of-stock on occasion, they are the very best sleeve for the price. Their customer service is superb! (and...no...I don't work for Mayday!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies. I chose the black backed ones as a lot of my cards were marked. However, it seems they have been made a bit too small. I know others that have used the Mayday Dominion sized clear sleeves with no issue at all. Seems to be just these black ones.

The question is, now that I've bought them and think they are unsuitable, I wonder if I could swap them for clear sleeves. Whilst I have sleeved a couple of hundred cards so far, I have actually used them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each store has their own policy on exchanges like this, you need to talk to them first. If they won't do it though we will certainly take care of you. Please try the store first and if they won't help geekmail me directly and we can work it out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Thanks for all the quick replies. I chose the black backed ones as a lot of my cards were marked. However, it seems they have been made a bit too small. I know others that have used the Mayday Dominion sized clear sleeves with no issue at all. Seems to be just these black ones.

If you look through past threads about Mayday sleeves, you will see that the clear sleeves have also had some issues in the past - particularly a bad batch something like 2 years ago. So the issue isn't limited to just the black sleeves. But it looks like they have always done an excellent job of customer service by replacing defective packs.

I originally estimated that the clear Mayday sleeves I purchased a month or so ago had about a 1% defective rate (about 1 sleeve to small per pack of 100). But I tried to sleeve some of my new Cornucopia cards with a handful of the defective sleeves and to my surprise the Cornucopia cards ended up a fraction of a mm narrower that the other cards (or the defective sleeves somehow expanded), so I am now left with only 2 useless sleeves out of something like 1900 - close to a 0.1% defective rate. That's impressive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling I will need to sleeve at some point because mine are starting to show wear. I hate to think how much it would cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I have a feeling I will need to sleeve at some point because mine are starting to show wear. I hate to think how much it would cost.

There should be a discount code from Mayday games in your first box(es) of Dominion. I remember seeing at least 2-3, possibly in Dominion/Intrigue/Seaside. Can't remember the exact ammount of the discount, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25% off. I was able to sleeve my entire set, including Cornucopia, for around $35 (2000 sleeves, 20 packs). That's about the price of a single full expansion, and is well worth the investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That really isn't as bad as I thought but I will have to wait for another coupon to surface. Is that price for the clear or the backed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hockey Mask wrote:
That really isn't as bad as I thought but I will have to wait for another coupon to surface. Is that price for the clear or the backed?

That was the price for the Regular, Clear Euro Sleeves. The black-backed ones are $0.25 more each, or about $0.20 more with the discount. Premium sleeves cost about twice as much (same price for only 50 sleeves), but I don't think they are necessary as the regular sleeves are decent quality.

I didn't see a coupon with Cornucopia, but the original code still works. I don't know if it's kosher to post the code here, but it is easy to find via Google. Or just email Mayday games and they might give you the code if you are planning on buying a decent number of sleeves. The code is for 25% off any euro-sized sleeves (the size used for Dominion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I would need the premium sleeves is to use them on used cards. I figured they would hide marks better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hockey Mask wrote:
The only reason I would need the premium sleeves is to use them on used cards. I figured they would hide marks better.

I think you mean the black-backed sleeves. The premium sleeves are just thicker plastic, but still clear. I don't think it would do much better at hiding marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

I think you mean the black-backed sleeves.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fine, the code is "Dominion" and it is a partnership between RGG and Mayday, it is found only in Dominion and Intrigue. Sleeves will be back in on Wednesday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
It is fine, the code is "Dominion" and it is a partnership between RGG and Mayday, it is found only in Dominion and Intrigue. Sleeves will be back in on Wednesday!

I got on in my copy of Seaside as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Dulaney
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Do the cards fit in the box with the black sleeves?
and do they fit in the box with the premium sleeves?
and I've heard that the non-premium sleeves get sticky and hard to shuffle with within a week or so of play. Anybody had personal experience with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Verd
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought some Mayday sleeves for 1500 or so Dominion cards. A few were too tight but the rest fit perfectly. We were thrilled with the sleeves. Then we bought some Mayday sleeves for 7 Wonders. They were a little bit too big, but we left them on because we have a bunch of extras if some sleeves get beat up as a result.

Then I bought 800 of their standard green sleeves to sleeve Pandemic, 2 Magic decks, and Thunderstone, as well as 300 Chimera and 300 Mini USA to sleeve Arkham Horror (I always buy an extra pack in case they fit too tight, which I don't mind because a tight fit is nice and I know it's hard to make them all completely perfect).

The Mini USA sleeves fit great, like the Dominion sleeves did, very tight, no extra room. The thing is, I read on the forums to try these as the ones Mayday recommends are too big. I was happy with the Mini USA sleeves.

The Chimera sleeves were huge for the Arkham Horror cards. The green sleeves were huge for the Thunderstone, Pandemic, and Magic cards. We didn't even use any of them (and we de-sleeved the small Arkham Horror cards because having sleeves on just the small cards would be silly).

So now we've got 1200 sleeves we aren't using and I have to look for a replacement. I am happy with Mayday's customer service, etc, but didn't like the fit. Does anyone know if they have sleeves that are a better fit than the ones they recommend for any of these games?

To top it all off, one of my clumsy friends accidentally shoryuken'd her full 16 oz tequila/bright red juice drink on our first game of Arkham Horror since we took the sleeves off, soaking all of the mini cards, all of the investigators (save for the 4 in the game) and all of the money, sanity, and Stamina tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
verditsgerman wrote:
To top it all off, one of my clumsy friends accidentally shoryuken'd her full 16 oz tequila/bright red juice drink on our first game of Arkham Horror since we took the sleeves off, soaking all of the mini cards, all of the investigators (save for the 4 in the game) and all of the money, sanity, and Stamina tokens

"The is why we can't have nice thing!"

Serriously though, I don't allow drinks on the playing surface. We put them on a empty chair still in reach or some other convientent surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben,

If you'd like us to send you some new sleeves, I KNOW the green ones you got must have been a bad batch, they should fit Pandemic, Thunderstone and the rest perfectly. You could also try some premium thickness if you'd like. Please email us at maydaygames@gmail.com and let Sarah know what you need and she will be happy to take care of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.