Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars» Forums » General

Subject: More component complaints--the building tiles don't even stack properly! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people have brought up the issue of the overturned buildings that show rubble are wobbly, but I haven't heard this yet mentioned--the building tiles don't even stack properly!

The tops of the building tiles have two protruding chimney-like things, and the bottoms of the tiles have two monster prints and then some out cropping rubble. If you don't have tiles properly rotated so that the chimney-like protrusions are lined up with the monster print indents, then the two tiles don't properly fit together. They're not quite wobbly, but they're visibly not seated flat, which looks bad and makes them that much more unstable for when the monsters (that don't even come close to fitting in a board square) are moved around the board.

Not a big deal? Well it means to set up a scenario properly takes twice as long as it should, and it means my 5 year old son can't do it at all.

Edit, pic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been hearing of production value issues with the game and the rules that have kept me from purchasing it. Which is too bad because I have been intrigued by the game since it was announced.

However, I do have to wonder about complaining that the buildings have to be stacked a certain way (ie, properly) for the pieces to sit flat. Would it have been nice to design it in such a way as to make this unnecessary? Possibly. Is it worth a component complaint? I guess to some.

As for the five year old, I ask this because I don't know, what is the minimum age recommendation on the box?

Cheers,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
Is it worth a component complaint?

Wait until you try it. A scenario involves stacking around 60 pieces together, and the little grey pieces really shouldn't need to be scrutinized piece by piece and be properly oriented just to stack them up. Did I mention the sides of the tiles are identical? You have to compare top to top and then rotate accordingly with each stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I playedd 3 games of GODZILLA at Kublacon . . .and this was never a problem. Im not even sure what you are saying about lining them up correctly . . .

Strange...

rhb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ham
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
There may be a deviance in the exact workings of our building pieces, but I've found a solution to this problem that works for me with very little effort.

Obviously the protrusions on the roof of building tiles are actually rectangles, with two sides of each protrusion being longer than the other sides. What I do is I 'criss-cross' the rectangles when stacking building tiles. So if I have a tile with rectangles appearing vertical, I place the next tile so that it's rectangles appear horizontal to me.

This actually does fit the rubble footprints and the building protrusions together, but it does in an extremely quick way. You won't have to match the things, you can just see which way the rectangles appear, and stack the next tile correspondingly.

Hopefully I explained it correctly. If not, hopefully this helps. Imagine all tiles are laying down in front of you. If the rectangles on top of a tile look like this: || ||, the you would place the next tiles so that its rectangles look like this = = .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
Im not even sure what you are saying about lining them up correctly

The tops have the two chimneys at diagonal corners. The bottoms have two monster print indents at diagonal corners with bumpy rubbley pattern in the other two corners. Specifically there is a high bump in the rubble that looks suspiciously like a sprue (except it's uniformly on every piece). If when stacking a piece on top of another, if you don't make sure the monster print indents are being placed on top of the chimney protrusions, and instead the rubbley texture comes down on the chimney protrusions, the piece does not lie flat, almost like one of the pieces is slightly warped, and then also doesn't "lock" into place making it very easy to bump off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Hyde wrote:
What I do is I 'criss-cross' the rectangles when stacking building tiles. So if I have a tile with rectangles appearing vertical, I place the next tile so that it's rectangles appear horizontal to me.

That's actually what I'm talking about in my OP, although you've described it better in your post. That does work. My point is that you shouldn't have to do that. The pieces don't have a facing and should just stack together nicely, and quickly. You shouldn't have to being doing some sort of OCD-like patterning to your stacked pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that I should add that this really isn't that big of a deal, especially if your game group is all adults and older children.

I'm mostly POed because this is just subtle enough that my son won't notice or remember to do it, and we'll just always have board set ups with building slightly off and prone to falling down, which he also won't notice but will annoy the crap out of me. angry

Actually, if my sprue theory is right, I'll probably just end up going through and shearing it off of each piece with an exacto knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ham
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Mr_Hyde wrote:
What I do is I 'criss-cross' the rectangles when stacking building tiles. So if I have a tile with rectangles appearing vertical, I place the next tile so that it's rectangles appear horizontal to me.

That's actually what I'm talking about in my OP, although you've described it better in your post. That does work. My point is that you shouldn't have to do that. The pieces don't have a facing and should just stack together nicely, and quickly. You shouldn't have to being doing some sort of OCD-like patterning to your stacked pieces.

I do have some OCD, so I guess it just didn't bother me too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone can post pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try tonight if I have time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
BROG wrote:

The tops have the two chimneys at diagonal corners. The bottoms have two monster print indents at diagonal corners with bumpy rubbley pattern in the other two corners. Specifically there is a high bump in the rubble that looks suspiciously like a sprue (except it's uniformly on every piece). If when stacking a piece on top of another, if you don't make sure the monster print indents are being placed on top of the chimney protrusions, and instead the rubbley texture comes down on the chimney protrusions, the piece does not lie flat, almost like one of the pieces is slightly warped, and then also doesn't "lock" into place making it very easy to bump off.

Do I really have to tell you how to stake these pieces? Oh boy. You don't stack the rubble piece at the bottom, or with the chimney pieces at all. You stack all the "chimney" pieces together. When a building is destroyed, you remove all the pieces except the bottom, and then flip that over to show the rubble side. If that's what you are doing, I have no idea why you are having this sort of trouble . . .maybe you need a building code inspector (or a bribe thereof).

rhb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I failed to mention that in my review as I found this only mildly annoying, and it did not ultimately contribute to my disappointment. However, in retrospect I probably should have included it for completeness.

But you covered it, and I agree it does extend setup time.

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
BROG wrote:

Do I really have to tell you how to stake these pieces? Oh boy. You don't stack the rubble piece at the bottom, or with the chimney pieces at all. You stack all the "chimney" pieces together. When a building is destroyed, you remove all the pieces except the bottom, and then flip that over to show the rubble side. If that's what you are doing, I have no idea why you are having this sort of trouble . . .maybe you need a building code inspector (or a bribe thereof).

rhb

If you stack them when they are all in the same direction they do not sit together flat. You have to rotate each piece 90 degrees for them to fit correctly.

We are not idiots. Nobody thinks you are supposed to keep the bottom piece rubble side up when stacking buildings.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
Do I really have to tell you how to stake these pieces?

No, no you don't. When two tiles are stacked, the bottom of the top piece, WHICH IS THE RUBBLE, is brought into contact with the top of the bottom piece. When this happens, there is only enough room for the top piece to sit properly if you precisely place every piece in the staggered pattern described by Mr_Hyde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm noticing that there are a couple pictures posted that illustrate this fairly well. Someone had posted a couple pictures of the Gigan hungers scenario (not sure how to link to them). But you can see that the rubble that Gigan is standing on is tilted because of the chimneys, and not only that, several of the 3-4 high buildings have gaps between the tiles. This is presumably because of them not having been rotated 90 degrees before being stacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay here's a picture:

Here are two stacks of 8 building tiles. The stack on the left has been stacked making sure each tile has been rotated back and forth and back and forth 90 degrees each tile. The right stack has been stacked normally. Note, that I did try and stack the right stack as well as I could, given the defect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
"We are not idiots."

Don't tell RHB that - it is obvious he thinks differently.

Did you just read his "rules" above on how to stack these bits!

Rules!

Did you calculated the correct DRM before you put them together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Dear Mr Berg I don't appreciate your remarks about bribing building code inspectors. Many of my best friends are building code inspectors and only a few of them are crooks. As soon as my game arrives they will thoroughly looking over the stacking issue. I am appalled you would make light of such a serious issue as stacking plastic buildings in a game about monsters. Have you no scruples?

Oh BTW gentlemen, my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek. Please don't take my above remarks personally. It does honestly sound like this game was rushed and the Toy Vault screwed up big time. However, the game system doesn't sound broken at all. Hopefully I will be getting my game by Wednesday. I can't wait to give it a try (and stack those wobbly buildings!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phuloivet wrote:
I can't wait to give it a try (and stack those wobbly buildings!)

Try some super glue. That ought to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cinotti
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am amazed that this is a "complaint". It took me only a few seconds to see how the building tiles fit together properly. As for extending set up time, I found it to be negligible. For children sure, but for adults? I don't see it.

I think this game has a few issues, but IMO it is unfair to characterize the building tiles as one of them. Just my two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As A Toy Vault employee, I have no problem with any of the half-assed components in this fantastic game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Okay here's a picture:

Here are two stacks of 8 building tiles. The stack on the left has been stacked making sure each tile has been rotated back and forth and back and forth 90 degrees each tile. The right stack has been stacked normally. Note, that I did try and stack the right stack as well as I could, given the defect.

I would suggest that stacking them properly by being rotated back and forth so their flush is normal, and and just tossing them into a stack is wrong.

I can't even believe this is a thread. Are people seriously that lazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayntampa wrote:
Are people tile designers seriously that lazy?

Yes, apparently the are.

To answer seriously though, did you read the whole thread? Maybe you should before posting.

BoB3K wrote:
I guess that I should add that this really isn't that big of a deal, especially if your game group is all adults and older children.

I'm mostly POed because this is just subtle enough that my son won't notice or remember to do it, and we'll just always have board set ups with building slightly off and prone to falling down, which he also won't notice but will annoy the crap out of me. angry

Actually, if my sprue theory is right, I'll probably just end up going through and shearing it off of each piece with an exacto knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did read the thread, and yet it's still going with complaints. It's OBVIOUS even to a child how they stack - this is a massive non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.