Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S McCulloch
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and own Luna. I have played it twice, once with my husband and once with a couple of friends. So far the lot of us are confused as to why this game is considered to be fairly good. To us it seemed well, boring. The rules are simple enough and well explained. The game is gorgeous. The game mechanics did not seem to mesh well with the theme in our opinion.

Here are a few games that my husband and I like.

Agricola
Through the Ages
Thebes
Tigris & Euphrates
Ghost Stories
Dominion
Thunderstone
London

Here are some games that my friends and I like, not including those liked by my husband and I.

Yggdrasil
Stone Age
Thurn & Taxis
Pastiche
Pillars of the Earth
Jambo
Ra

We are at a bit of a loss to explain why this game has not grabbed us. If you like or love this game explain why and perhaps playing again with a understanding of others understanding we can love this game like we really want to. This was a game we were all so anxious to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been meaning to write a review (already started), and I'm among those who think this game is really good. But maybe not as 2p. Not sure if you've tried it with 4. I'll try to add more later. I'm about to get on a long flight right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many wrote:
I have and own Luna. I have played it twice, once with my husband and once with a couple of friends. So far the lot of us are confused as to why this game is considered to be fairly good. To us it seemed well, boring. The rules are simple enough and well explained. The game is gorgeous. The game mechanics did not seem to mesh well with the theme in our opinion.

I own Luna as well, but I've only played it solo (one of the reasons I got it) about a half-dozen times. Some observations:

* I thought the mechanics and theme worked together very well. Holding controlling interest in the temple feels very much in the vein of religion & politics. Shifting novices about on the islands to garner favor from the priestess while building shrines and avoiding the cloaked figure that leads young novices astray ties into the game nicely in my opinion. The only thing in the game that didn't feel terribly integrated with the theme to me is the guardian on the path that can be bribed, but it fits well enough and is an interesting mechanic.

* The artwork is awesome, and the theme is like nothing else I own. This helps my enjoyment of the game.

* There are a lot of interesting decisions to make, and several different strategies to victory. Some appear at first to be more effective than others, but at least in solo play I've managed to win using several different strategies. I've also managed to lose terribly while exploring other potential strategies.

* I've read through the rules several times. I didn't find them "simple enough" as you did, and made quite a few mistakes the first couple times I played. Perhaps give them another read-through in case you missed something that's negatively affecting your enjoyment of the game. Luna is a funny game balance-wise; my first play I missed a rule that made it incredibly difficult, and my second play I misread a rule and made it incredibly easy. Since then I've found the game engaging and challenging.

* Also regarding the rules, I haven't tried to teach Luna to my significant other because I feel Luna to be a bit heavier than most our other games and want to take a significant amount of time to explain it well. I've found Luna to be a game that gets better after a few plays, so I want to make sure to make the "learning the game" hump as elegant as possible.

I would say give Luna a few more plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my partner and i love luna too...we like quite a few of the games you like..its very well made..gorgeous looking with lots of lovely bits - i think its got a lot of different choices when moving which makes it really challenging..i find i really have to stay in the moment watching what im doing - with this comes a lot of game play - it feels infinate - think its a brill game ( not as hard as agricola )and quite different feel to a lot of other games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Quote:
Sell me on Luna

Am not familiar with Luna but I can try to sell you on eBay or Craigslist if you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McCulloch
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you all who replied. My husband and I will try again after re reading the rules. Hate to give up on this one as we were so looking forward to it. Migraine today so won't be until tomorrow. Can't imagine concentrating enough for any game today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.